Work and study with TN

minjbaatar

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I was just wondering if I am allowed to study (particularly doing my MBA) while working on TN status. I can't find anywhere on the USCIS.

Thanks

Minj

Study is considered "incidental" to your tN, that is, it does not violate your TN, so long as you continue to adhere to the conditions of your TN.

The simple answer is yes.

The only issue is that if you are going to a public institution you may not qualify for resident fees. Each state is different so you will need to check with the registrar's office as to where you would stand - that will actually be your biggest hurdle.

nelsona and simsd,

Thank you for your reply.

1. That is great! Where did you find these info? If you don't mind can you send me the link?

2. Assuming I get accepted for upcoming Spring semester (Jan 2009)...then I guess I will get I-20 and do I have to get F1? while I have my TN. The I-20 that will be provided from school is good enough?

3. About the applying for public institutions...the schools I am looking at, they are all private schools so paying resident fee or not is not really an issue for me.

Thanks again.

I feel bad getting all these information from you guys and not giving back any...really I have not much to contribute here right now...eventually when I learn more I will try to be one of you guys. :)

N,No,No,....why do you always make things so complicated....just go to school...that's all you have to do. And because they are private, this is the same as if you are joining a private club......or joining a gym. There is no relationship between the TN and going to school. If you were quitting work and going to school full time, that would be different.

I think I will upset you now simsd, coz I have even more complicated question.

1.a. Just two months after obtaining TN status, can I try to change it to another company?
1.b. Can I do it by mail? this is not an extension ... I guess you would call it change in terms and condition.

2.a. Assuming I stay with this company for a year and try to get another TN for different company. Will USCIS check whether I paid taxes for the past year with IRA? What I am trying to ask is that what do they check to give me another TN next year other than what is required to obtain TN status?

thanks again

Minj

Hey minbaatar, I have a question for ya. It seems like you got your TN status with Economics degree. Would you be kind enough to tell me which state you are at? and what company? how you ask them to give you TN letter? If you got the Economist job forget what I asked. Jill

Jill,

Yes I did get TN with my Economics degree. I am in DC and I've got hired in small consulting firm and they were familiar with TN process.

Minj

I think I will upset you now simsd, coz I have even more complicated question.

1.a. Just two months after obtaining TN status, can I try to change it to another company?
1.b. Can I do it by mail? this is not an extension ... I guess you would call it change in terms and condition.

2.a. Assuming I stay with this company for a year and try to get another TN for different company. Will USCIS check whether I paid taxes for the past year with IRA? What I am trying to ask is that what do they check to give me another TN next year other than what is required to obtain TN status?

thanks again

Minj

1. Yes, keep in mind if you adjust by mail you CANNOT start work for the new company until that TN application is approved
2. USCIS doesn't care about your taxes that is the IRS' job USCIS is concerned about your IMMIGRATION status

Webtiger,

If USCIS doesn't really care about the taxes, then how would they know whether I am working for company A (Current) or B (future) until I get my next TN to be approved (based on the assumption that it will be approved)?

There many discussions in this forum about, if the company stop paying you then you are out of status, or if you become part time then you have to change it etc....Lets say (hypothetically) you quit your job (with TN) and find another job in 3 months and apply for TN. During that 3 months you are out of status, but how would USCIS would know that you quit your job? if they don't check, for example, tax info. Can't someone just go to the border or mail in the application for next TN without mentioning that you quit your job 3 months ago? In this particular hypothetical example, why someone would apply for B2 in between? if they don't check!!!

Thanks again, sorry i know I make things look very complicated...
Minj

Can't someone just go to the border or mail in the application for next TN without mentioning that you quit your job 3 months ago? In this particular hypothetical example, why someone would apply for B2 in between? if they don't check!!!

If you are requesting a change or extension of status that requires you to be employed (like L, H or TN) USCIS will often ask for evidence that you are working and being paid, like paystub copies. If your employer does not supply this with your petition, USCIS may issue an RFE for proof of existing status.

2. Assuming I get accepted for upcoming Spring semester (Jan 2009)...then I guess I will get I-20 and do I have to get F1? while I have my TN. The I-20 that will be provided from school is good enough?

Since no one addressed this point.... you can't work at your TN job with an F1, and you can't have an F1 and a TN at the same time.

If you want to work and go to school, it is going to be on TN, only.

N,No,No,....why do you always make things so complicated....just go to school...that's all you have to do. And because they are private, this is the same as if you are joining a private club......or joining a gym. There is no relationship between the TN and going to school. If you were quitting work and going to school full time, that would be different.

As you can see, your post said nothing about not being able to kep his job on F1, nor that he could not have F1 and TN at same time. your post merely gave the false impression that it was more 'complicated' to do what he proposed.

This guy is so clueless, it can't hurt to spell things out in detail.

Last edited by a moderator: