• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Won DV2013, wrong Date of birth

cohenenr

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

so I am lucky enough to have won the DV2013
However, I am unlucky enough to have put the wrong date of birth on the webform (many years ago, in 2008 when I originally signed up and paid one of those processing agencies to handle my anual entry)

I mixed the pulldown menu with "dec" for december up with the field where the month goes. So basically I entered dec-12 instead of dec-xx (xx being my real birthday).

Classical Euro-mistake as I am used to DD-MM-YYYY (as it should be of course) not MM-DD-YYYY (damn yanks ;) )

Anyway. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it fixable? I genuinely made a mistake, and also I have had F1 and H1B visa's in my name (and correct date of birth) before, I have never lied or cheated with US migration. Why would I.

Anybody here knows what to do?

Oh I hate the different versions of dates that are used around the world. It's not just the "damn yanks" but the Canadians too. I used to live in Australia where it was always DD-MM-YY, no variation. So easy, you don't have to think about it. I get to Canada and it's all 3 versions! MMDDYY, DDMMYY and YYMMDD. But mostly MMDDYY. So confusing and annoying! The whole world should use DDMMYY.

As to your mistake, sounds like an honest one to me. Just tell the consular person why you entered it wrong, because of the European standard and all. I wouldn't stress about it.

Good luck!

As to your mistake, sounds like an honest one to me. Just tell the consular person why you entered it wrong, because of the European standard and all. I wouldn't stress about it.
Good luck!

Thanks Vichel, I did contact the KCC and they mentioned (without saying it literally) that it indeed should be not a problem but it's up to the person doing the interview.

I wonder if it makes a difference to go for AOS or Consular processing, as I imagine the interviewer at a European embassy would be more familiar with people making these type of mistake?

I get to Canada and it's all 3 versions! MMDDYY, DDMMYY and YYMMDD. But mostly MMDDYY. So confusing and annoying! The whole world should use DDMMYY.

Oh my god! That made my so mad when I was living in Canada! Everyone did it differently! So while at work I'd see a date written down and I'd have to ask around the store who wrote it to figure out if it was DD-MM or MM-DD!! So frustrating. In the end I just kept writing like October 10th rather than 10-10 haha. Frustrating!

Since you have more than enough previous documentation and visas supporting your real birthdate, it makes sense to me that you will be fine and it is clearly a mistake due to different date methods used. I'm sure that you won't be the first either lol. I suspect they actually have this problem a lot.

I know what you mean Jess, my hubby is Canadian, and living in Australia now it took him ages to get used to it, and it was the same for me when I lived over there!

Q

Australia's far more sensible when it comes to that sort of stuff. Oz is totally metric, not half-arsed about it like Canada where some things are metric, others Imperial, and the dates a dog's breakfast.

Oh my god! That made my so mad when I was living in Canada! Everyone did it differently! So while at work I'd see a date written down and I'd have to ask around the store who wrote it to figure out if it was DD-MM or MM-DD!! So frustrating. In the end I just kept writing like October 10th rather than 10-10 haha. Frustrating!

Oh no!How frustrating!

Hello Cohenenr,

The same happened to us (my wife was selected), and I don't know where we did the mistake, month or day, the year is OK because we used it for logging in the ESC page. We (she) have called several times, and the only thing we have obtained as an answer is "sorry madam I can't answer that". They won't even tell us if at least we are going to receive the invitation (2NL) we don't have any problem explaining whatever mistake we made.

Our case number is fairly low, 2XX in SA (South America), but appart from our mistake in the online application, we also sent the actual application a little bit late (it was delivered to KCC on August 1st). I still think we haven't received the 2NL because of the late application but we are getting a little bit worried right now.

So if you get any positive answer from them please post it here, we'll appreciate it.

Cheers and good luck to you and all the DV Lottery "players".

cloro

Hi clorofilo. I know, the KCC will not even talk to you b/c the "date of birth does not match their records".
However, since I used a GC processing agency (yes sorry I was lazy... I paid them to do it) they could provide me with a copy of the original data sent to the KCC. That way I learned I made the mistake of swapping MM with DD. So then I called back to KCC, mentioned that my date of birth (DOB) was submitted with MM/DD swapped... still they asked "what is your DOB as submitted on the form" so I answered "the DOB on the form submitted is XX-YY-1979, which is incorrect, as my real DOB is actually YY-XX-1979" just so to make sure I was not lying at any point to KCC.
Then they accessed my case file and confirmed thet had received the DPS-122 and DS-230 forms.
They also said that they could not change the date - but that I was free to submit a copy of my birth certificate to be included with my file (which I did), but that it is still up to the person conducting the interview to decide whether I "frauded" or, indeed, honestly: made a genuine mistake.
Now I have been issued a H1B and a F1 visa back in the days, I always used my correct DOB, so I guess they will figure out soon enough that I am not a cheater or anything like that. Fingers crossed.

Hi Cohenenr. Thanks for your reply. That was good, having the copy of the actual info you gave during the first application. I used to do that (save a pdf copy of the info) and somehow I forgot about it this time, how convenient. Few questions:

- Did you translate the certificate of birth (if it's not in English of course)?
- In which range is your C/N? and region?
- So basically, we can assume that we are still going to receive the 2NL and it will depend on the case officer the outcome of our application. Right?

Thanks and G'luck.

Cloro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

1) my birth certificate is from The Netherlands and they are by default "international, long form" meaning they are translated into like 20 different languages, including Latin, Greek, English, German, French, etc etc.
2) I am in the EU00017xxx region. I think that means my case number will be "current" in March or April 2013 (going by the graph I posted here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvjZErp9_7_7dDlrOWt0Wk9yc0FDOFMtNjAyYWdjNEE&output=html)
3) Yes, I would assume that you will get the second notification letter (2NL). AFAIK this year (DV-2013) they will actually send that one by email and no longer by regula post (right?). And yes, the KCC confirmed that it will be up to the interview with the case officer what the outcome is.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. Well I think we'll keep waiting, it is too late now for us to send the birth certificate (needs translation) and a cover letter explaining the case. I'm assuming that somehow I scrolled the day or month field without noticing after selecting the correct one, but I doubt it because they make you confirm the information and I always triple check.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks.

Cheers. Cloro.

Hi all,

so I am lucky enough to have won the DV2013
However, I am unlucky enough to have put the wrong date of birth on the webform (many years ago, in 2008 when I originally signed up and paid one of those processing agencies to handle my anual entry)

I mixed the pulldown menu with "dec" for december up with the field where the month goes. So basically I entered dec-12 instead of dec-xx (xx being my real birthday).

Classical Euro-mistake as I am used to DD-MM-YYYY (as it should be of course) not MM-DD-YYYY (damn yanks ;) )

Anyway. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it fixable? I genuinely made a mistake, and also I have had F1 and H1B visa's in my name (and correct date of birth) before, I have never lied or cheated with US migration. Why would I.

Anybody here knows what to do?

Please i would like to know whether you made the mistake on the Ds 122 & 230 or the original application online in 2011. Because when i was applying on-line for the lottery i made a mistake on the date. But after wining i mailed KCC and they said i should do all the necessary correction on the DS 122 & 230 form. so please let me have a clear picture of where u actually made the mistake.

The mistake was made on the original application online in 2011. I have filled out my correct DOB on Ds 122 & 230.

The mistake was made on the original application online in 2011. I have filled out my correct DOB on Ds 122 & 230.

Hi cohenenr,

In my honest opinion I believe it's nothing to worry about. I know a previous winner (DV-2006) that won with an incorrect DOB too, all he did is supply the correct information in the required forms DS/P forms to the KCC. He explained up front at his interview (London) that it was a mistake when they asked about the discrepancy. He had a previous 10 year B-1 multi-entry visa I believe, which must have really helped too. My advice is that you explain yourself as best you can on the day of your interview that you made a simple error (which is the truth), and you should be fine.

dont worry...i made the same mistake in 2008...just use ur correct dob in the paper forms n have correct documents. u r good to go!

wrong date of birth

Hi cohenenr,

In my honest opinion I believe it's nothing to worry about. I know a previous winner (DV-2006) that won with an incorrect DOB too, all he did is supply the correct information in the required forms DS/P forms to the KCC. He explained up front at his interview (London) that it was a mistake when they asked about the discrepancy. He had a previous 10 year B-1 multi-entry visa I believe, which must have really helped too. My advice is that you explain yourself as best you can on the day of your interview that you made a simple error (which is the truth), and you should be fine.

im one of the selectees of EDV 2013 from asia.unfortunately i came to know my result very late in october.and i forwarded my documents n forms to KCC in the same month.my case no. is 2***.so when should i expect my 2nd letter.i have one more prblm.I am from nepal.so the nepalese
date of birth has to be converted into international
date.In the EDV 2013 entry form i am not exactly sure if i had entered my date of birth as 11th september or not.because of error in conversion,i might have registered 9th september instead of
11th spetember .But i made the correction after i got the 1st letter.So in the forwarded documents and the forms my date of birth is correctly entered as 11th september exactly converted from the nepalese date of birth mentioned in my citizenship.there is no variation in year and month.will the variation in day create any problm?
And if i wish to enquiry to KCC,which date of birth shall i mention in the email?the one that i entered during registration or the correct one that i have mentioned in the forwarded document n forms??

Hello everyone, think I had made a great mess. Can you help giving advice to me of what I should do. I just applied for my Dad's DV and I found that I pur wrong birth year for my father. I found it when it was succeed. It has to be 1966 instead of 2002. What should I do? Should I apply again with the correct birth year. OMG, I'm dying. How clumsy I am!

Hello everyone, think I had made a great mess. Can you help giving advice to me of what I should do. I just applied for my Dad's DV and I found that I pur wrong birth year for my father. I found it when it was succeed. It has to be 1966 instead of 2002. What should I do? Should I apply again with the correct birth year. OMG, I'm dying. How clumsy I am!
Unfortunately, that error cannot be rectified by submitting a new entry. You can’t do anything about it for now. Wait until the results come out and see if he’s selected, then you can receive further guidance on what to do.