• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Won DV2012 and have 485 pending through employment

nazar05

Registered Users (C)
Hello. I've just found out that I've been selected for DV2012. I already have a pending AOS (485) from 2 years ago through my employer. What will happen now? Will they join the two cases if I decide to go ahead with AOS or should I opt for Consular Processing?

Any experience/ideas will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Hello. I've just found out that I've been selected for DV2012. I already have a pending AOS (485) from 2 years ago through my employer. What will happen now? Will they join the two cases if I decide to go ahead with AOS or should I opt for Consular Processing?

congratulation,........all depend on your case number ,if low go for AOS i high go for CP

You'll only be able to file for adjustment of status based on DV on the month the kcc will be processing your sequence number. On the bottom part of the notification letter you received from DV you will find a sequence number for your region.
Keep checking every month the Visa Bulletin because you'll find there the numbers processed each month for DV based GC.

You'll only be able to file for adjustment of status based on DV on the month the kcc will be processing your sequence number. On the bottom part of the notification letter you received from DV you will find a sequence number for your region.
Keep checking every month the Visa Bulletin because you'll find there the numbers processed each month for DV based GC.

Consular Processing is usually safer when you go with the DV lottery as it is faster and you are less likely to get your files lost or delayed for no reason. Speed is critical for a DV case as you are only eligible during a small window of eligibility. Given that you have an I-140 pending, I would suggest you do consular for the DV case and adjustment of status for the employment based case, if the your priority date becomes current. Then you get to have two chances at it and you can go with whatever works out first.I think it is a risk to do AOS because of all the backlog that USCIS has built in terms of processing applications for the past year. I hope this helps, best of luck.
If you have a very low number, you have the choice of AOS or CP
If you have a high number your only choice is CP

The advantage of AOS is cost as you can do it from the US without travelling.
The disadvantage is that the AOS process has to be completed within a certain time.

The advantage of CP is you get a pretty definite time-line and you can gauge when your interview will be. The process is relatively quick.
The disadvantage is if you denied then you will find it very difficult to get back into the US.

Travelling back to your home country is either an advantage or disadvantage. For me I would love to go back and see friends and family.

Personally I think CP is the way to go!

Thank you for all input

Thank you very much for all input. We're still undecided about choosing CP or AOS. Traveling back home is no problem, it's in fact a pleasure but timing in the fall isn't most convenient with work and kids' schools. I'm counting my blessings as it'll hopefully get me out of a senseless wait for years to have 485 for EB-3 processed. Will keep posted for future reference as I couldn't find much info about my situation in any of the sites/forums.

Peace.

Going the CP route

We've been advised by the counsel that CP is a better option for us as the Consulates have less to deal with for DV cases and in a complicated issue like this they'd probably be more attentive and that's the route we'll be taking. Good luck to all in similar situations.