will not showing up for oath create significant delays?

blkhawk

Registered Users (C)
I am currently overseas. USCIS had told me that my oath was going to take place on Dec 18 so I planned my overseas trip accordingly. I was shocked last night to know that my oath was scheduled for Dec 11!!

guys, I need an advice. Will not showing up for my oath create significant delays? I understand that USCIS will re-schedule me but, I am hoping someone could tell me, on average, how long it will take before my oath is re-scheduled?

Thank you.

It really depends on DO and their oath schedule. Expect any where from 3-12 weeks for a new oath date. Just make sure to request your oath to be rescheduled instead of just not showing up in the hopes they will automatically send you a rescheduled oath date.

I am currently overseas. USCIS had told me that my oath was going to take place on Dec 18 so I planned my overseas trip accordingly. I was shocked last night to know that my oath was scheduled for Dec 11!!

guys, I need an advice. Will not showing up for my oath create significant delays? I understand that USCIS will re-schedule me but, I am hoping someone could tell me, on average, how long it will take before my oath is re-scheduled?

Thank you.

Bikhawk, I would take the trip back and get the oath done. You dont know how long your oath will be pushed to.

Bikhawk, I would take the trip back and get the oath done. You dont know how long your oath will be pushed to.

It really depends on how urgent citizenship is vs the cost of canceling a trip. In some instances people can wait a few more weeks, whereas in others they can't due to waiting to sponsor immediate family or apply for a job that requires citizenship.

It really depends on how urgent citizenship is vs the cost of canceling a trip. In some instances people can wait a few more weeks, whereas in others they can't due to waiting to sponsor immediate family or apply for a job that requires citizenship.

True but from what I remember, bik also has wife and kids overseas waiting for the I-130 process to finish. I would get USC so that I have more say in these processes even if his I-130 as a Pr is almost complete.

True but from what I remember, bik also has wife and kids overseas waiting for the I-130 process to finish. I would get USC so that I have more say in these processes even if his I-130 as a Pr is almost complete.

Then it becomes a question of if OP wants to stay with his wife and kids for the holidays and sacrifice oath for a later date, or come home early, take oath Dec 11, and return to see wife and kids. In the end, OP will have to decide for himself.

Thanks for your input guys. it would cost $800 to change my return date :( . so i really need to think about it thoroughly. one option is to delay my oath as much as possible, which would allow enough time for my wife's F2A process to complete before I become a USC. But at the same time, I am afraid that my oath date would be pushed way out which would delay my family reunion. It's going to be a difficult decision but I have to make it here soon. I can't wait for the day I am through with immigration. Thanks again!

Thanks for your input guys. it would cost $800 to change my return date :( . so i really need to think about it thoroughly. one option is to delay my oath as much as possible, which would allow enough time for my wife's F2A process to complete before I become a USC. But at the same time, I am afraid that my oath date would be pushed way out which would delay my family reunion. It's going to be a difficult decision but I have to make it here soon. I can't wait for the day I am through with immigration. Thanks again!

In that case, I think you've made your decision. Ask for an Oath Postponement. Tell them that you are out of the country (make sure it doesn't jeopardize continuous presence) and cannot make it back in time for the Oath.
You've been agonizing over this a long time and I think you really want to push your oath out a few more weeks as it'll keep everything simple. (no withdrawing one application and applying with a different one etc. and all the complications that 'could' arise with moving things around)
Hopefully, the other family applications will be processed by your new Oath date.

In the grand scheme of things, what's a few more weeks...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! I ended up paying $270. that wasn't too bad. not sure why I was quoted for $800 the first time I called American Airlines.

Thank you.

It will be rescheduled. It should be the next oath availalble. But if the
USCIS does not do reschedule on regular basis, it can be up to 3 months.

There was a post here before. The OP of that post missed oath three times
and got a closure notice of his case. He said he would try to make USCIS re-open his case.

thanks! I ended up paying $270. that wasn't too bad. not sure why I was quoted for $800 the first time I called American Airlines.

Airline business is like that!! My uncle who has a travel agency says to call/buy tickets after 1am & before 3am to get ahold of good prices. I did that recently and got a non stop to Frankfurt for 600 from iad on the 23rd....too bad cuz few days later I got an il fr the 28th ..too bad there goes my deal..

Airline business is like that!! My uncle who has a travel agency says to call/buy tickets after 1am & before 3am to get ahold of good prices. I did that recently and got a non stop to Frankfurt for 600 from iad on the 23rd....too bad cuz few days later I got an il fr the 28th ..too bad there goes my deal..

1 AM to 3 AM ... but which time zone?

And this by calling airline, travel agents (online), or the airline websites?

guys, I am happy to announce that I am finally a proud US citizen :) I had my oath today around 2:30 pm. The ceremony was awesome. thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. Great forum indeed. All the best for all of you.

Congratulations! :) I think in the long term you'll feel that you made the right decision coming back for your oath ceremony.

guys, I am happy to announce that I am finally a proud US citizen :) I had my oath today around 2:30 pm. The ceremony was awesome. thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. Great forum indeed. All the best for all of you.

Congratulations.

Congrats!

Congratulations. Now all you need is US passport and return back home to visit family in time for the holidays.