Will non payment of medical bills cause warrant

teacher2003

Registered Users (C)
My in-law has abt few thousand in unpaid hospital bills. She was on B1 when she got sick and admitted to hospital .Her Indian insurance paid about half the bill. The rest is still pending.
Hospital sent it to collection. Will this cause a warrant and prevent her from reentering

I work in collections. The most they can do is, place the amount owed on her credit report if there is one. If not they will try to put a lein on any assests that she has if she has any. However since the recession, alot of laws have been passed in favor of people's rights making it harder for collection companies to collect on medical debts. If any more questions you can look into FDCPA (The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act)

LateKnight, Things are not always that simple. It seems that this person is from India. The collection agency in the US can contact the recovery agency in India to collect the money. I don't think you know how the recovery agencies work in India. No law applies, just go to that person's house, beat him/her up, collect (rob) anything found in the house, threaten and come back again later and repeat the same thing.

I thought his situation was in the US. In that case I am clueless, It sounds like the way it is in India is the same way it USED to be in the US back in the 70's and early 80's. No laws / Mafia stylee

This person's bill are due in the US. But the person is visiting the US from India.

In such cases, US collection agency routinely contact the Indian recovery agency to recover money.

I have never heard of anything like it... It would cost the hosp and the collection agency so much $$ that it wouldnt be worth it. Now, if you r talking about $50k or more I can see them going after her for the $$. but what r the chances that they would recover the $$. Most Hospitals just take the hit and call it a lost. For a credit card or a bank loan thats a diffrent story. They would do almost anything to collect their $$ plus interest...
Why doesnt she apply for Charity Care ??? and how much exactly does she really owe just on the hospital bill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi LateKnight
She owes about $5k. Her insurance paid $5k. She doesn't want to apply for charity because it may cause public debt and she may have problems coming back to US for visit.

You have not heard does not mean it does not happen. I have seen that several times.

In this age of technology and communication, it is not at all difficult to achieve what I am talking about and it happens routinely. Collection agency has to set up with Indian recovery agency only once.

For $25 a month, you can make unlimited calls to India. You can write unlimited emails etc. for free.

For $100 unpaid bill due to clearly the mistake of hospital (they sent the bill to my old address even after provided the new address), they hassled me so much that I suffered for 7 years regarding my insurance rates increase, messed up credit report, and increase interest on mortgage, even after I immediately paid $100 as soon as I came to know about it.

Therefore, kindly do not give inappropriate advice to people. Please!

For $100 unpaid bill due to clearly the mistake of hospital (they sent the bill to my old address even after provided the new address), they hassled me so much that I suffered for 7 years regarding my insurance rates increase, messed up credit report, and increase interest on mortgage, even after I immediately paid $100 as soon as I came to know about it.

In India???

Hello guys
Her main concern is re-entry into US (for a 6 mos visit).This time she is buying a good insurance (spending about $500).So she wants to know if she may have problems in immigration dept while re-entering with a collection record. Once she gets here , her plan is to visit hospital finance dept and explain her situation.

You have not heard does not mean it does not happen. - I agree.

As far as your $100 bill due to clearly the mistake of the Hospital. You could have disputed the balance with the credit bureaus and had it removed way before it affected you for 7 years with car insurance, lowered your fico score and incresed your mortgage and credit card rates.

You have not heard does not mean it does not happen. - I agree.

As far as your $100 bill due to clearly the mistake of the Hospital. You could have disputed the balance with the credit bureaus and had it removed way before it affected you for 7 years with car insurance, lowered your fico score and incresed your mortgage and credit card rates.

Yes, I know that. I spent a lot of time and money disputing it with the credit bureaus. Every time, they told me that they would remove it. Asked me to check back after 3-4 months to see if it is gone. No yet. Spend money again to order the credit report. And repeat the procedure.

Hello guys
Her main concern is re-entry into US (for a 6 mos visit).This time she is buying a good insurance (spending about $500).So she wants to know if she may have problems in immigration dept while re-entering with a collection record. Once she gets here , her plan is to visit hospital finance dept and explain her situation.

It is always a possibility.

Better to buy the visitors insurance from U.S. company. Check out the web sites like http://www.insubuy.com