will my country of origin find out that I became a United State citizen?

May I ask which country we are talking about? I am slightly puzzled. If they do allow dual citizenship, why are you concerned about them finding out that you became a US citizen.

I don't think I would lose my old citizenship. My old country allows dual citizenship. In fact, it is encouraged, in a sick and twisted political way.... :(

In some countries if you are a citizen of that country then you can only enter the country using that country's passport. E.g., As a US citizen I can't enter the US on my Australian passport using the visa waiver program, nor will Australia allow me to enter the country on a US passport. So for many people they may not have a choice like you.

Well in my example I haven't notified my nation of orgin I'm a US citizen and I don't plan to. When I travel there I'm just going to represent myself as a US citizen and that's it. Main reason is I just don't feel like carrying two passports with me when I travel back to visit family and friends and then declaring "I'm dual here's both passports etc".

Now in Canada there's no military drafts or requirements or anything that would remotely be negative with me notifying them I was an American now, but for me, I'd rather just stick to being an American and proud of it, even when visiting my homeland.

Some people might have issues if their former nation had for examply military requirements that weren't served like Greece and I think Switzerland etc. Though in these cases you'd want to declare yourself as an American (even though I think you would still be subjected to their laws).

At any way, the only way your foreign nation is going to find out is through you, or if they send the KGB out looking for you with spies or something...

The anonimity of a screen name is not enough for some not to name their country of origin, even though there might be like 10s of thousands of people from that country here. The younger generation is much more open on the internet - myspace, orkut, linkedin etc.
May I ask which country we are talking about? I am slightly puzzled. If they do allow dual citizenship, why are you concerned about them finding out that you became a US citizen.

Bottom line, I don't think the U.S. will notify your old country of your new U.S. citizenship. Other than that if your old country doesn't force you to notify them, then I would say don't do anything. If time comes to renew your passport from the old country and the form asks if you have another citizenship, then it would be the time to disclose. Anyway, all seems a bit hypothetical as you mention that your old country allows dual citizenship, and the U.S. would be fine with that too.

I do believe that I read somewhere that USCIS DOES notify the embassy of the country of your former nationality upon you becoming a US citizen. I just cannot find the source where I read this.

One thing that I have noticed and still cannot understand, there are many people on this forum who hide their country of birth, origin and/or citizenship. That is an entity based on coincidence of birth, so why the effort in hiding it? There is nothing to be ashamed of. I was born in Karachi, Pakistan. Karachi for the last decade or so has been labelled as the most dangerous place on earth. There is indeed some truth to it, no doubt. However that has never made me hide or camouflage my city of birth. Why should I? There is no need for me to feel ashamed of where I was born. Why others do it, is beyond my limited understanding :)

The anonimity of a screen name is not enough for some not to name their country of origin, even though there might be like 10s of thousands of people from that country here. The younger generation is much more open on the internet - myspace, orkut, linkedin etc.

One thing that I have noticed and still cannot understand, there are many people on this forum who hide their country of birth, origin and/or citizenship. That is an entity based on coincidence of birth, so why the effort in hiding it?
Most people do not want to be personally identified. I am from a small country, and have been able to personally identify people on other forums from the same country based on facts they have revealed about themselves in their posts. Others might be able to do the same to me if I revealed my country of origin.

Fine, totally understandable. Everyone has the the right to his/her privacy.
However when you see posts like, "I am from country X and about to naturalise in county Y, what will happen with X and Y once I file N-400 since I only held citizenship X when I got my GC?", then to me it makes sense to just name the countries :)
On a side note, even if my two other citizenships were Andorra and Liechtenstein, I would have mentioned those on my signature!!! It is a personal choice :)

Most people do not want to be personally identified.

Fine, totally understandable. Everyone has the the right to his/her privacy.
However when you see posts like, "I am from country X and about to naturalise in county Y, what will happen with X and Y once I file N-400 since I only held citizenship X when I got my GC?", then to me it makes sense to just name the countries :)
On a side note, even if my two other citizenships were Andorra and Liechtenstein, I would have mentioned those on my signature!!! It is a personal choice :)

You forgot Monaco and Vatican City :) :) :)

One thing that I have noticed and still cannot understand, there are many people on this forum who hide their country of birth, origin and/or citizenship. That is an entity based on coincidence of birth, so why the effort in hiding it?

I think all are (/must be) proud of their country of origin. But either for privacy or basically "why should that matter?"
But i agree - totally - If my question is specifc to country, instead of saying X or Y, it would be prudent to name it. Maybe someone in this forum is better knowledgable to answer it.

Well a few years ago on another forum I had read an e-mail asking a question from a person who went into all twisted statements by trying to use country of origin and (now I remember it was Ron's forum). I did a search for the wording of the country rules regarding loss of citizenship. But even the lawyer asked on the forum what country that is, the guy (screen name techie or something like that) never replied what country it was, ofcourse my search had indicated it was Phillipines. I looked a bit closer at the posts by that person and noticed he had got green card and citizenship through marriage to a US citizen female. I then got it, he was creating a hi-tech image of himself and felt in some way not proud of his origins etc. As triple citizen says what ever the origins there is no need to feel inadequate in any way. I have seen this in the immigration ques as well, immigrants will hide non US passport with the backside shown and flaunt the US passport.

Anyway people are entitled to do what they choose to do, but I have never understood why even an impersonal screen name can make a person think they are loosing their privacy.

As I often tell my wife, there is only thing worse than having a superiority complex, having an inferiority complex.

I then got it, he was creating a hi-tech image of himself and felt in some way not proud of his origins etc. As triple citizen says what ever the origins there is no need to feel inadequate in any way. I have seen this in the immigration ques as well, immigrants will hide non US passport with the backside shown and flaunt the US passport.

I have seen this in the immigration ques as well, immigrants will hide non US passport with the backside shown and flaunt the US passport.
If you're talking about immigration queues in the US, hiding the non-US passport and showing the US passport is what they're SUPPOSED to do.

I'll give BRB2 the benefit of doubt. I think the comparison is how differently naturalised US citizens stand in their queue, flaunting US passports, compared to the immigrants standing in their queue, hiding their passports.

If you're talking about immigration queues in the US, hiding the non-US passport and showing the US passport is what they're SUPPOSED to do.

I'll give BRB2 the benefit of doubt. I think the comparison is how differently naturalised US citizens stand in their queue, flaunting US passports, compared to the immigrants standing in their queue, hiding their passports.
Or maybe how parents (who are not yet citizens) flaunt their childrens US passport ahead of theirs to the officer...?