will my country of origin find out that I became a United State citizen?

Sandra500

what I really mean is "how can I keep this a secret from my country of origin?" :)

I'm sure many of you have already been in this situation.... thank for any advice/tips on this matter.... :)

what I really mean is "how can I keep this a secret from my country of origin?" :)

I'm sure many of you have already been in this situation.... thank for any advice/tips on this matter.... :)

Why do you want to keep it a secret? Thinking that you can keep this kind of thing secret to avoid the laws of your county is just asking for trouble in the long run.

Why do you want to keep it a secret? Thinking that you can keep this kind of thing secret to avoid the laws of your county is just asking for trouble in the long run.

well... let me clarify my question... I don't mean that I want to "hide" this fact from my country of origin. More like "don't ask, don't tell" situation... unless they specifically ask me, either verbally or on a form, then I'll say not a word.... But otherwise... does the United States government(USCIS, State Dept, or other agency) automatically notify foreign governments and say "your citizen, Sandra 500, became a US citizen today and don't bother her from now on..." ??? :D

Thanks again! :)

well... let me clarify my question... I don't mean that I want to "hide" this fact from my country of origin. More like "don't ask, don't tell" situation... unless they specifically ask me, either verbally or on a form, then I'll say not a word.... But otherwise... does the United States government(USCIS, State Dept, or other agency) automatically notify foreign governments and say "your citizen, Sandra 500, became a US citizen today and don't bother her from now on..." ??? :D

Thanks again! :)

No, I don't think the US government readily shares this information with other countries although it may provide it to them when asked because in their eyes you are a US citizen and whatever information you decide to hide from your original country is your own business.

So you want to appear to continue being a citizen of that country, even though you would have lost that citizenship upon becoming a US citizen? If you want to defraud your old government, you're not going to get much help here. You're on your own.

So you want to appear to continue being a citizen of that country, even though you would have lost that citizenship upon becoming a US citizen? If you want to defraud your old government, you're not going to get much help here. You're on your own.

I don't think I would lose my old citizenship. My old country allows dual citizenship. In fact, it is encouraged, in a sick and twisted political way.... :(

Last I checked, the US govt also allowed dual citizenship, in most case, right? Or was I mistaken? :confused:

Thanks!

I don't think I would lose my old citizenship. My old country allows dual citizenship. In fact, it is encouraged, in a sick and twisted political way.... :(
So you have some other strange reason to hide your US citizenship from them? Like you want to vote in their elections and they won't let you do it if they know you also have US citizenship?

Whatever it is, you're still on your own to figure that out.

Bottom line, I don't think the U.S. will notify your old country of your new U.S. citizenship. Other than that if your old country doesn't force you to notify them, then I would say don't do anything. If time comes to renew your passport from the old country and the form asks if you have another citizenship, then it would be the time to disclose. Anyway, all seems a bit hypothetical as you mention that your old country allows dual citizenship, and the U.S. would be fine with that too.

So you have some other strange reason to hide your US citizenship from them? Like you want to vote in their elections and they won't let you do it if they know you also have US citizenship?

Whatever it is, you're still on your own to figure that out.

I probably should admit it here.... but I have never voted in ANY election in ANY country in my entire life. (not even class election in high school, union vote, TV watching survey, or any governmental election for elected offices)

(but I probably came to the right country.... :D since the US has the lowest voterturn-out rate of any country....) Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.... :)

I probably should admit it here.... but I have never voted in ANY election in ANY country in my entire life. (not even class election in high school, union vote, TV watching survey, or any governmental election for elected offices)

(but I probably came to the right country.... :D since the US has the lowest voterturn-out rate of any country....) Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.... :)
The voting was just an example. Whatever it is, you have some strange reason to hide your citizenship from them. Up to you to figure out how you're going to get away with it. But don't expect to hide it forever, unless you're never going to travel with a US passport (airlines often do share this information with governments). These things have ways of coming into the open at the strangest times.

people have hidden this in the past and they have continued to own property in their own countries too. But not worth it.

So many questions at once...$23000 win in Vegas, living with no income for last 5 years, asking about keeping US nationality a secret to home counrty, asking about passport card and filing taxes...hmm..are you in the witness protection program or are you trying to hide from someone/something?

Maybe the original poster has something to hide! How is it any of your business people? She asked a simple question and got lots of WHYs in return. What are you people cops or immigration officials?
To answer your Question Sandra500...I don't think US government reports anything to anyone. But be careful when you travel,airlines share citizenship information. You get on the plane in county X going to country Y and country Y officials know your citizenship.
Good luck doing whatever you do! :)

So many questions at once...$23000 win in Vegas, living with no income for last 5 years, asking about keeping US nationality a secret to home counrty, asking about passport card and filing taxes...hmm..are you in the witness protection program or are you trying to hide from someone/something?

I agree, somthing fishy. Without intent and background its difficuilt to try and answer to the best of our knowledge.

If there is dual citizenship then sooner or later your old country would know. When I renewed my Australian passport, I was asked to send a copy of my green card but since I had become a US citizen I sent a copy of that. I had no reason to hide it from them. But even if I had tried, they would know when I renew my passport.

Why do you want to hide your new US citizenship information from your old country?

Maybe the original poster has something to hide! How is it any of your business people?
It became our business when the question was asked about it. If somebody asks strange questions, they shouldn't whine if questions are thrown back at them.

Well in my example I haven't notified my nation of orgin I'm a US citizen and I don't plan to. When I travel there I'm just going to represent myself as a US citizen and that's it. Main reason is I just don't feel like carrying two passports with me when I travel back to visit family and friends and then declaring "I'm dual here's both passports etc".

Now in Canada there's no military drafts or requirements or anything that would remotely be negative with me notifying them I was an American now, but for me, I'd rather just stick to being an American and proud of it, even when visiting my homeland.

Some people might have issues if their former nation had for examply military requirements that weren't served like Greece and I think Switzerland etc. Though in these cases you'd want to declare yourself as an American (even though I think you would still be subjected to their laws).

At any way, the only way your foreign nation is going to find out is through you, or if they send the KGB out looking for you with spies or something...