Will I-485 affect my TN?

CanadianKam:
I decided to renew early this year; I submitted my TN renewal in January and after 2 weeks, I got my approval without premium processing. I did it this way because last year I waited for about 8 months to get my renewal,that included an RFE. I just waited for a month then I submitted my renewal for this year. Thank God, they accepted my application with no problem.

The question came up about going on H4 after one has submitted I-485. One can, of course, since H4 status permits dual intent.

But since I-485 submission already grants you a non-working status, one would not get H4 for status reasons. One might get H4 to avoid need for continually maintaining AP, for ease of travel.

My case is exactly same as TiggerW. My TN is expiring late Sept'07 and my husband (who is on H1B) is going to file I-485 (for himself and myself) in July.

His lawyer advised him to file for I-129 for me before we file for 485 (through premium processing, only if possible).

I know I am not going to get answer for my I-129 before we file for 485 and I will have both applications pending at the same time next couple of months.

My question to you guys are:
Does my I-129 application get affected (denied) because of pending I-485?

and more important question, which was not answered before
Does my I-485 application get affected because of pending I-129?

Please help me here. I know that I-129 can not be filed after I-485 and I am planning to file normal I-129. should I go with premium processing due to all these reason and also because of pending many H1B applications with service center???

Thanks in advance.

Does my I-129 application get affected (denied) because of pending I-485?
It could, if a savvy officer uts 2 and 2 together. But you have little choice at this time.
His lawyer advised him to file for I-129 for me before we file for 485
This is a reasonable idea, and you are allowed to do so at this time. There is another strategy, as I outline below

Does my I-485 application get affected because of pending I-129?
Absolutely NOT. The only thing that can adversely affect your I-485 is you leaving US without securing AP.
I know that I-129 cannot be filed after I-485
It is possible to file I-129 after submitting I-485. It would in all likelihood be denied, but this would be long after you get EAD (you would not premium in this case, and would file it just before expiry in September). It is not considered 'frivolous' to file an I-129 in such instance.

Thanks Nelsona for your information.

I am planning to go with standard and not premium processing. My employer does not want to pay any money for I-129 or for premium processing.

I will try to submit my application this week and then my husband will submit I-485 in early July.

I hope that my TN extension gets approved. But I am more worried about I-485 and I can not afford to have it denied/delayed because of pending I-129.

Any comments.....????

I hope that my TN extension gets approved. But I am more worried about I-485 and I can not afford to have it denied/delayed because of pending I-129.

I already answered that concern.

My advice on filing I-129 was either file now premium, or file late september regular (if you have not yet received EAD/AP). It's your choice to ignore it, of course.