Will getting a canadian permanent residency affect US Greencard processing ?

gcbayarea

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am working in the US on H1B visa and my US GC is in the I140 stage
now. I will be applying for I485 next month.

Meanwhile, I have also received a canadian IMMIGRANT visa and I have to
go there for a few days to get a CANADIAN PERMANENT RESIDENCE card. I
do not intend to settle in canada though.

I was wondering whether obtaining the canadian permanent residence card
will cause any problems in the processing of my US I140 and I485 ?

Thanks in advance,
Basanth

gcbayarea said:
Hello,

I am working in the US on H1B visa and my US GC is in the I140 stage
now. I will be applying for I485 next month.

Meanwhile, I have also received a canadian IMMIGRANT visa and I have to
go there for a few days to get a CANADIAN PERMANENT RESIDENCE card. I
do not intend to settle in canada though.

I was wondering whether obtaining the canadian permanent residence card
will cause any problems in the processing of my US I140 and I485 ?

Thanks in advance,
Basanth
If you land now in Canada or get canada PR card it has nothing to do with US GC or I-485 approval as it will be AFTER your Canada PR and you need to maintain US residency require after your get US GC .

Nope. it won't affect your GC processing. It is totally seperate case. I landed there while my gc was pending. No problem. Only after you get US GC, you must surrender your Canadian permanent residency paper/card if you want to settle in USA, otherwise, you have to surrender US gc to live in Canada.

Good luck.

USGC485 said:
Nope. it won't affect your GC processing. It is totally seperate case. I landed there while my gc was pending. No problem.
Only after you get US GC, you must surrender your Canadian permanent residency paper/card if you want to settle in USA,otherwise, you have to surrender US gc to live in Canada.
------------- if one has not stayed in Canada 2 years in any 5 years after Landing then Canada PR status automaticaly bocomes invalid, nothing need to be done to surrender your Canadian permanent residency paper/card.
** one can keep the PR card nothing bad on US GC if you fullfill the critriea of US residency after GC, AFTER GC dont enter Canada with Canada PR card enter Canada with US Green Card if you want to visit Canada.

Good luck.

I obtained my US GC last year. I was applying for Canadian GC while in 485 was pending. There seems to be no impact on the 485 application.

Have a seperate question: my canadian GC was approved last month. Being slightly greedy, I want to get the canadian GC as well and decide which country to really permanently reside in later. questions are:
1) is there a deadline for me to get the Canadian visa after the candian GC application has been approved? Say, can I go to Buffalo 3 months after the application has been approved? I am doing a bit of travelling now and can't be without my passport for more than 2 weeks. Sending in th e passport takes 3-6 weeks; if I go to the Canadian Immigration Buffalo office, then I can get the visa on the same day.
2) will I be able to hold on to the Canadian GC if I enter canada with my US GC. What is the best case scenario for my situation?

Thanks
igeta

Last edited by a moderator:
igeta said:
I obtained my US GC last year. I was applying for Canadian GC while in 485 was pending. There seems to be no impact on the 485 application.

Have a seperate question: my canadian GC was approved last month. Being slightly greedy, I want to get the canadian GC as well and decide which country to really permanently reside in later. questions are:
1) is there a deadline for me to get the Canadian visa after the candian GC application has been approved? Say, can I go to Buffalo 3 months after the application has been approved? I am doing a bit of travelling now and can't be without my passport for more than 2 weeks. Sending in th e passport takes 3-6 weeks; if I go to the Canadian Immigration Buffalo office, then I can get the visa on the same day.
2) will I be able to hold on to the Canadian GC if I enter canada with my US GC. What is the best case scenario for my situation?

Thanks
igeta
If you get Canada PR AFTER US GC then it clearly shows your Intent to live in Canada and may create problems for your US GC, you can be questioned by US immigration when you enter US (as your passport will have Canada Immigration stamp AFTER the US GC.