will bankruptcy affect green card application

rambay

i am planning to file for bankruptcy soon. will that affect my application for green card in the future? right now i am on h1 visa. i know my credit history will be affected but i have no choice but to file for bankruptcy. please let me know.
thank you.

Maybe you need to confer with an immigration lawyer. Were you able to find out if this will affect your application?

i am planning to file for bankruptcy soon. will that affect my application for green card in the future? right now i am on h1 visa. i know my credit history will be affected but i have no choice but to file for bankruptcy. please let me know.
thank you.

NO I don't think USCIS is interested in you Credit Rating!

How about the question on the GC application that asks about being a public charge? I know creditors are private parties, but would this not matter if any public utility etc bills go unpaid?

What is the exact meaning of public charge in the context of an immigrant? I am assuming immigrants will not be able to get food-stamps, unemployment etc that come from tax payers money.

Marriage-Based Green Card Information

As soon as you file your application for a green card , your stay in the United States becomes legal -- since you are now married to a U.S. citizen. In fact, you can apply for a work permit soon after you turn in the rest of the application. Then you'll be able to wait legally in the United States -- and wait, and wait. It often takes USCIS around a year to get to your application.
---------------
albertjames
http://www.shepelskylaw.com

How about the question on the GC application that asks about being a public charge? I know creditors are private parties, but would this not matter if any public utility etc bills go unpaid?

The only thing they care about with "public charge" are means-tested government benefits. USCIS doesn't care if you don't pay your water bill.

I am assuming immigrants will not be able to get food-stamps, unemployment etc that come from tax payers money.

Generally, yes, but it's worth noting that in most states UI is not taxpayer-funded, and UI never makes you a public charge.