Will any of the experts be able to answer this H-1 question...H1 transfer and job start

shamur

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am completing my training June 30th '09. Plan to apply for H-1 (new job) mid June 09. My start date on the H-1 application is going to be July 1st 2009

Is it legally Ok if I start 2-3 weeks late, after July 1st 2009 even though I ask for a start date of July 1st 2009.

I am not sure but I think, one can wait until H-1 is approved to start the job?

You can start after receiving transfer application receipt. The risk being, if it gets denied you have already left the previous employer.

But the Question is...

Thanks for you reply, but the questions not whether I can start early with the receipt in hand...
I am wondering if your current H-1 expires on June 30the, 2009 and you are applying for H-1 transfer with a start date of July 1st 2009.
Can you join the job around July 20th 2009 instead of the 1st?

If you are already on H-1

But if your new H-1 period starts from July 1st and you start the job on July 20th, how will you be out of status, if you have H-1 valid for that period?

Thanks for you reply, but the questions not whether I can start early with the receipt in hand...

I am wondering if your current H-1 expires on June 30the, 2009 and you are applying for H-1 transfer with a start date of July 1st 2009.
Can you join the job around July 20th 2009 instead of the 1st?

your current H1 expires June 30the, 2009
if your H1 transfer Petition reaches USCIS BEFORE june 30th,2009 and you get H1 transfer filing reciept then you can join new employer July 20th,2009 Or any day once H1 petition reaches USCIS and you have the evidence that H1 petition reached USCIS before June 30the, 2009.