wife still in college

tough_book23

Registered Users (C)
can wife (USC) who is still in college apply for me?

i was wondering if my wife (US citizen) can apply for adjusting my status to a PR even though she is still in college (and therefore not employed). thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess as long as you guys have been living under the same household for at least 6 months, she can use your income if you are working legally in the country

no we dont live under one roof yet because her college is in a different city (about 1 hour from where i live); and also i am not allowed to work; my parents and extended family support me; thanks again for your help =) ... also i am 23 years old and she is 22

If you know anybody who is a US citizen or PR and are willing to be a co-sponsor for your application, I think you can go that route too.

hi

my uncle's a citizen who would definitely sponsor me, is that enough? also since we're forced to live in seperate cities (though the cities are close) would that cause them to reject us? We do co-own the house i currently live in though. thanks for the help canadian =)

she will still be your sponsor, and uncle will be the co-sponsor. You should live together if you don't want USCIS to suspect that your marriage is fake.

they'd think were faking it even though neither of us have ever been married before and we're both in our early 20's? seems kindda strange, i mean i've been here since i was 10 why would i be faking marriage now?

I adjusted my status with my wife in law school and therefore with no income and unemployed.

I included my income (I-864A), but we got father-in-law as a joint sponsor, just to be safe.
Old I-864 required sponsor to be employed (I'm not sure about new I-864), that's basically why we got a joint sponsor.

sarrebal said:
Old I-864 required sponsor to be employed (I'm not sure about new I-864), that's basically why we got a joint sponsor.
What do you mean? Weren't you employed?

Anahit said:
What do you mean? Weren't you employed?

Of course I was, but the old I-864 said that sponsor had to employed.
My wife (the sponsor) wasn't so I got a joint sponsor just in case.

sarrebal said:
Of course I was, but the old I-864 said that sponsor had to employed.
My wife (the sponsor) wasn't so I got a joint sponsor just in case.
Well, since it was your income you were using to qualify, you should have been employed, not your wife. Your wife didn't have any income to begin with.
I don't think you needed a joint sponsor just because the petitioner wasn't employed. I don't recall such a requirement for the petitioner.

Anahit said:
Well, since it was your income you were using to qualify, you should have been employed, not your wife. Your wife didn't have any income to begin with.
I don't think you needed a joint sponsor just because the petitioner wasn't employed. I don't recall such a requirement for the petitioner.

Now it probably changed, but the old I-864 clearly stated that sponsor (not beneficiary, although his/her income qualifies) must be employed.
I interpreted this way and I played it safe.