Wife received interview letter, I didn't

samaruf

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends,
My wife and I jointly applied for citizenship on July 24th, 2007 and our fingerprints were taken jointly on Oct 4th, 2007. She received her interview letter on March 20 requesting her to show up at the St. Paul, MN office on April 21st.

In the mean time I'm still waiting to get my interview letter and it's causing me some concern. I have checked with FBI and they said my fingerprints were sent to the USCIS back in October. So I'm relieved my FPs were fine, but I'm still wondering why I didn't get the interview letter. Don't they do processing of couples at the same time? Has this happened to anyone of you?

Thanks for sharing any information.

Perhaps you got stuck on name check. This is not related to finger prints. There is a lot of information about this in the forum.
No, they don't do concurrent processing of couples nowadays. This is for them to deal with backlog and to not keep a member of a family hostage to the delay of another member of the family. If you really want concurrent processing no matter what you can request this in writing at the time you send your application (too late for you).

PS: Unfortunately what is likely happening to you has happened to quite a few folks. The only way to be sure that you are stuck in name check would be to schedule an Infopass at the uscis website. I am not sure if the customer support number people can give you this detailed information.

My 2 cents.

Hello friends,
My wife and I jointly applied for citizenship on July 24th, 2007 and our fingerprints were taken jointly on Oct 4th, 2007. She received her interview letter on March 20 requesting her to show up at the St. Paul, MN office on April 21st.

In the mean time I'm still waiting to get my interview letter and it's causing me some concern. I have checked with FBI and they said my fingerprints were sent to the USCIS back in October. So I'm relieved my FPs were fine, but I'm still wondering why I didn't get the interview letter. Don't they do processing of couples at the same time? Has this happened to anyone of you?

Thanks for sharing any information.

You might be stuck in name check.Call the 1 800 number and ask to be transfered to an IO since you had a specific question about case. Each application is handled separately and no preference is given to couples or families.

I'm glad I posed my question in here and thanks to those who replied. I definitely will call USCIS and get to the bottom of my case.

I've flown at least 300 times both domestic and international since 9/11 and never once was taken aside for issues with my name or background.

I really hope to get the citizenship this year so that I can vote in November.

As a general rule, they seem to handle couples together. At least, in my case, they have. And, looking at the signature line of most couples applying, that seems to be the case.

However, if the case of one spouse poses a delay (like name check, or a bad fingerprint, or something like that), they are going ahead with the other spouse. This seems to be your case.

Good luck in your efforts to get to the bottom of this. Don't worry too much, you will be OK.

I have not been in this forum in manay months. I came back three days ago because I have same situation as this.
I am a resident of Maryland and applied N400 with a reeipt date of 9/24. FP in December. Wife got the interview notice last Friday 4/4. The interview date 5/22. I did not get notice. I spoke with my cousin who said that her husband's notice arrived 3 days later. 3 days passed and no notice. So, I called the 1800375 5283 a little while ago. The automated system did not have my info. Spoke with a customer service guy who could not locate my file and transferred me to second level. The lady was very polite and looked up my case. Guess What!! My interview has been scheduled for May 3rd. The notice was mailed a day before mine. It has been misplaced.

My question is: In Baltimore do they do the interview on Saturday?

So, SAMARUF - Do not delay. Call USCS now.

I have not been in this forum in manay months. I came back three days ago because I have same situation as this.
I am a resident of Maryland and applied N400 with a reeipt date of 9/24. FP in December. Wife got the interview notice last Friday 4/4. The interview date 5/22. I did not get notice. I spoke with my cousin who said that her husband's notice arrived 3 days later. 3 days passed and no notice. So, I called the 1800375 5283 a little while ago. The automated system did not have my info. Spoke with a customer service guy who could not locate my file and transferred me to second level. The lady was very polite and looked up my case. Guess What!! My interview has been scheduled for May 3rd. The notice was mailed a day before mine. It has been misplaced.

My question is: In Baltimore do they do the interview on Saturday?

So, SAMARUF - Do not delay. Call USCS now.

USCIS recently announced that they are conducting interviews on Saturdays and Sundays. Your interview date seems to confirm that for Baltimore DO.

Will they send you a replacement letter?

I guess the lesson here for everyone is, keep talking to IOs! It would be a shame to miss an interview because the letter was lost. USPS is more efficient than USCIS, but they make a lot of mistakes too.

Couple of more examples

I'm glad I posed my question in here and thanks to those who replied. I definitely will call USCIS and get to the bottom of my case.

I've flown at least 300 times both domestic and international since 9/11 and never once was taken aside for issues with my name or background.

I really hope to get the citizenship this year so that I can vote in November.

samaruf,

I happen to know 3 friends, 2 from TX and 1 from CA who had applied for citizenship N-400 applications together with their spouses. Wives got naturalized and husbands are still checking the mailbox for the interview letters everyday. You will get it. Good luck.

Yes, the wives are clearing the name check quickly but the husbands are getting stuck in namecheck. I just got my IL last week where as my wife was interviewed last month. Don't worry it is normal.

When my wife was interviewed, the IO has confirmed this to her. He infact pulled my GC application and told her that it had taken 9 months for the namecheck at that time. So, this time I woudl say it was quick... 4months.

I called USCIS today and got hold of a customer rep. My main question was if they sent the interview letter, and if so, could it have been lost in the mail. She did some checking and responded that no letter has been sent and that it would take another 40(?) days for me to receive my letter. If I don't get it by end of May, I need to call again.

So I'm relieved that unlike some of you here, the letter hasn't been misplaced by USPS and I just have to show more PATIENCE.

My poor brother in Kansas City has been waiting since 2005, but he got some good news the other day that all FBI name checks pending for more than a year will be resolved by end of May this year.

Another husband waiting since Jan-07. Wife completed her interview in April-07.
Next time you call USCIS, ask them specifically if your background check has been cleared. Sometimes I get the feeling the fist line of support at USCIS have no clue what they are talking about.

- unk

this proves that women are not in Al Qida... what if they start changing their names to women names? At least the first batch will pass the namecheck...

this proves that women are not in Al Qida... what if they start changing their names to women names? At least the first batch will pass the namecheck

Ghanta, the first batch will have to go through sex change operation too :D. I am sure FBI looks at name and sex on the application.

I got my IL but my wife hasn't

Unlike most of the others I got my IL but my wife didn't despite the same PD and FP.