Wife on F-1 and married to USC and reinstated when out of status

52love

Registered Users (C)
My wife is on F-1 and her F-1 expired on 12/31/03 but her OPT was valid till 07/04. The DOS told us that both the F-1 and OPT had to be valid to be in status (we were not aware of this, nor did the school inform us). However, she was reinstated by the INS on 06/04 and her F-1 does not expire till 08/06. My question is that will she be subject to the 3yr ban when I apply for her GC? In other words can she travel once she gets her AP or is it risky.

why did she fall out of status while on OPT? What happened?

When an F-1 student starts OPT, an annotation is made on his/her I-20, thereby extending its period of validity for a year. The student remains in F-1 status. Why did DOS say your wife was out of status?

Thanks LucyMO for responding. I think she was not out of status. On her back of the I-20 it states: "Field of Employment Comp Analyst , Date Degree Completed - 5/14/03, Start Date 6/1/03 completion Date 5/31/04 (or from the date of adjucation), No of month requested -12"
Her OPT card was valid from 07/03 - 07/04. THe DOS said she was out of status as her I-20 was not valid to inlcude the OPT dates (as in on the front of the I-20, it stated ".... and complete studies no later than 12/31/2004"

Any insight??
Thanks