Wife B1/B2 renewal, can it be done?

KOTB

My wife and I are both working oversees, in Kuwait and my wife has a B1/B2 visa prior our marriage, since it is expiring soon, we submitted the DS-160 visa renewal application and mailed it to the local embassy. A few days later she got her passport/papers back to be scheduled for an interview. The embassy currently doesn’t interview anyone due to CODID 19 …etc. When I emailed them after, I got “Your spouse is required to be interviewed in-person. She may submit the same visa application DS-160 and there will be no need to pay another MRV fees.”
I did the I-130 a few years back when we were visiting but it was never processed, and one lawyer told me the reson for that is I have to be in the US and I working there as well.

Any advice?
Thank You!

What exactly are you asking? If the embassy says your wife needs an interview and they are not currently interviewing for B visas (as is the case with many embassies), there is not much you can do but wait for them to restart interviews.

My question is that she can still renew her B1/B2 visa if she is now married to a US citizen?
Thank You

What exactly are you asking? If the embassy says your wife needs an interview and they are not currently interviewing for B visas (as is the case with many embassies), there is not much you can do but wait for them to restart interviews.

My question is that she can still renew her B1/B2 visa if she is now married to a US citizen?
Thank You
She can certainly apply, whether or not she gets one will be up to the discretion of the embassy. She would be advised to take strong evidence of ties to Kuwait. If Kuwait is a third country for both of you it may be more difficult.

I am not sure if you read my original post : ) My wife can be a permant resident by now since we have been married and we have 2 kids already. Unfortunately the embassy doesn't process any I130 or green cards here in Kuwait but If I understood you right she can have a B1/B2 visa while she is married to a US citizen?
Thank You

She can certainly apply, whether or not she gets one will be up to the discretion of the embassy. She would be advised to take strong evidence of ties to Kuwait. If Kuwait is a third country for both of you it may be more difficult.

I am not sure if you read my original post : ) My wife can be a permant resident by now since we have been married and we have 2 kids already. Unfortunately the embassy doesn't process any I130 or green cards here in Kuwait but If I understood you right she can have a B1/B2 visa while she is married to a US citizen?
Thank You
I didn’t address that part of the question because it didn’t seem relevant to the question of getting a B visa. No, she can’t be a permanent resident if you don’t want to actually live in the US. You as sponsor need to be domiciled (or intending to re-domicile and provide proof of that) in the US, and either earning an income in the US or have a joint sponsor who does, in order to successfully sponsor your wife to get a green card. If you actually want to sponsor her for that the answers are different. So, what do you want to do? Do you want to live in kuwait and have her be able to visit the US when you go, or do you want her to be a US permanent resident and have your family all move to the US?

I am guessing by next year we will move to the US, that is why I hope the embassy renew her B1/B2 otherwise how else can we travel there together?
Great Info, Thank You!

I am guessing by next year we will move to the US, that is why I hope the embassy renew her B1/B2 otherwise how else can we travel there together?
Great Info, Thank You!
She cannot move/immigrate on a B visa, and they will not grant one for this purpose. If you want to move to the US, the way to do it is to file an i130 online, and she will interview at the embassy for an IR1 spousal visa when the petition has been processed/approved and transferred to the embassy (this will take a number of months, possibly up to a year). By that stage of interview, you will need to have moved back and be earning an income in the US, or show proof of intent to move back and have a joint sponsor already domiciled in the US. Are your children US citizens?

I feel this is more complicated than I thought : )
The kids are US citizens, we traveled 3 times together on her B1/B2 visa there was no issues, the kids were born there while she is on that visa. I don't know if I am 100% moving to the US next year yet but I just want her to travel with me when we visit

Last edited:
I feel this is more complicated than I thought : )
The kids are US citizens, we traveled 3 times together on her B1/B2 visa there was no issues, the kids were born there while she is on that visa. I don't know if I am 100% moving to the US next year yet but I just want her to travel with me when we visit
i feel we are going round in circles. I asked if that was what you wanted in post #6 and in post #7 you said no you wanted to move there. Anyway. B visa is to visit. If you want to move she needs an immigrant visa. You can figure it out from there.