Whys some office has same-day oath, some not?

porkman

Registered Users (C)
Just curious to know why some DO offers same day oath, which is very good, while some don't. According to a forum member, in Boston, you have to wait 3 month after the interview to get the oath.

It depends upon how big or small the DO is, If the DO is big then they accommodate same day oaths .If they are small they have to go to some near by University or colleges to do oaths and prefer to do once in a month or quarter.

Some offices don't get enough demand to make same-day oaths cost-effective. So for example, instead of having an oath with only 5 people every day, they have an oath once a month with 100 people. That saves the workload for the staff who administer the oath.

i see that newark DO has same day oaths, and NY doesnt, i am sure that the NY DO does have alot of applications that would justify same day oaths.
i was looking at the timelines, newark timelines are short, 3 months from mailing n400 to actual getting the naturalization certtificate ... amazing !

My wife got approved on Dec 29, and her oath is on March 25th. This is at Boston, which is not a small office. This makes absolutely no sense.

That makes them consistent :)

It's not NP-complete...

Boston may be an outlier simply because they have to have enough bodies to fill Faneuill (sp?) Hall or wherever; in Indianapolis they have Oath ceremonies twice a month and a few times a year in special locations like the State Fairgrounds, etc.

So, it boils down to 'instant' versus 'the works'. Keep in mind that it was not too long ago that processing times for N-400 were 1 to 1.5 year, compared to the 3 months we're seeing now. Places like Boston with long delays may simply not have caught up with the reality of faster processing times; 3 month wait in a year's worth of process is not unusual, but 3 month wait in 3 months' worth of process is not expected either.

Got this from the FAQ for the district court in Boston.

Q. How often are Naturalization ceremonies conducted and where are they held?
A. The District Court schedules on average two naturalization ceremonies each month with the Immigration and Naturalization Service. At each ceremony, between 300 and 500 new citizens are naturalized. These ceremonies take place at the Great Hall in Faneuil Hall in Boston.

I don't think we know why some do same day and some don't. San Jose does a lot of interviews per day and doesn't have same day oath, neither does San Francisco. There is no rhyme or reason.