Why should I apply for a Social Security Card ?

slamdunker

Hi,

My spouse got a Green card and so did I because of that. I was not eligible to work prior to this but now that I have GC I can start working. I believe I can show my GC to prove eligibility to work, right? So why should I even apply for a SSN? Just to start getting SS tax slashing on my hard earned money? I mean what would I miss other than not getting retirement benefits (which is a time far away from now) and not being able to get a credit check?
Just wanted to get your expert opinions and comments on this, thanks a bunch.

I believe it is a legal requirement to have a SS# when you begin working for taxation purposes. And it is not our discresion to skip the SS tax because "its so far away". No reason to do something illegal. get a ss# and get a job

Just wanted to get your expert opinions and comments on this, thanks a bunch.

You cannot opt out of Social Security, whether you have a number or not. What will happen is while you can be employed without an SSN, FICA will be deducted anyways - you just won't get credit for the contributions. Additionally, you will be witheld at the highest marginal rate.

Just get the SSN.

SS# card is a required document on the I-9. SO you will be in violation of employment laws as well.
Sorry buddy, there is no way you can avoid paying Social Security.
Look at it this way, after you contribute to the Socila Security for 40 qrts you will be eligible to get the benefits and you can get them wherever you are in the world. Even if you retire back to your home country.
Different story that by the time we retire there will not be any Social Security left.

SS# card is a required document on the I-9.
Actually it is not required, unless the employer uses e-Verify.

The I-9 instructions state "Providing the Social Security number is voluntary, except for employees hired by employers participating in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify)."

Look at it this way, after you contribute to the Socila Security for 40 qrts you will be eligible to get the benefits and you can get them wherever you are in the world. Even if you retire back to your home country.
That is not entirely correct. Citizens of some countries will not be able to collect Social Security if they have not naturalized as US citizens and are not living in the US. I believe India is still in the list of countries whose citizens cannot collect if they live outside the US in their retirement years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jack,
Note that there is the 40 credits requirement for India = contributed to Social Security for 40 qrts.

Indians living in India MAY get social secuirty...please discuss

I believe India is still in the list of countries whose citizens cannot collect if they live outside the US in their retirement years.

Jackolantern,

I wish you are wrong.

I tried using their tool..
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/international/payments_outsideUS.html

With intent to live in India, Non US Citizen, Indian, 40 credits and the tool says I can continue to receive the benefits.

However, I have to select YES to the question, are you currently receiving the benefits, where as I am not. If I say NO, the tool doesn't proceed further.

Please do discuss on this.

However, I have to select YES to the question, are you currently receiving the benefits, where as I am not. If I say NO, the tool doesn't proceed further.
It seems like the tool only caters to people already receiving benefits. It doesn't even give a chance to specify one's country of citizenship if you say NO. It's just a limitation of the tool, not an actual indicator of what would happen if you left the US as a noncitizen.

Does Indians live in India get SS benefits?

I did go through Jackolantern's link , http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html, which I didn't understood properly and the tool which is very primitive.

As I understood from the link, as an exception, Indians get the benefits while living in India. Does others second my understanding?

Thanks

NO You Dont have to be a US Citizen. You just need to have contributed to the Social Security for 40 qrts.
And be a citizen of one of the countries on the list that is eligible to collect. But still, we should not be surprised if they stop paying benefits to noncitizens 20-30 years from now when SS doesn't have enough money.

That tool is confusing to say the least. From what I can see from the inputs when I played with that tool, a Indian citizen collecting SS payments in the US can continue getting that payment after moving to India.