why people will come to usa??

People has their own reason to come and sometimes that reason may not be understood by others.
I'm from the country which is the 2nd largest economy as independent nation and had no problem to payment over there. The reason I'm in the US, more specifically in California, is I hate to commute in 200% packed train every day and night in my home country and high humidity in summer there. It might be strange reason for you, but that is my honest reason and everyone has their own reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
GotPR? said:
People has their own reason to come and sometimes that reason may not be understood by others.
I'm from the country which is the 2nd largest economy as independent nation and had no problem to payment over there. The reason I'm in the US, more specifically in California, is I hate to commute in 200% packed train every day and night in my home country and high humidity in summer there. It might be strange reason for you, but that is my honest reason and everyone has their own reason.
but i hope you are not stuck with a bad employer for the next 4-5 years.

i am sure you will prefer that 200% packed train.....compared to a sweat shop like treatment for a H1/GC sponsoring employer......when you know that it may take atleast 4-5 years??

Even though I'm stuck at retro now(I'm not though), I PROBABLY will choose to be in the US. Being stuck in retro does not mean you are not doing anything. You keep working on H1/EAD and you can change job if you found employer and enjoying(?) your life. No time is wasted. Only problem I could imagine is frustration toward prolonging process which must be overcome.
I tend to think this way ; If this process eventually does not work, I can go back anytime, so why should I now.

Why...

To know what is life...USA will teach you everything...if you learn it well
You will simply leave throwing away the GC

People should assess their own situation.Its like we study and start working dreaming of living a good life once the GC process starts. Soon we come to realise that there is no career advancement, no promotions, no raises, valuable years pass by and we are left with retrogression and bad surprises.

Thats right USA teaches us a lot.First and foremost take care of your ownself and your own priorities at all times.For those who have waited 4-5 years its still isnt a bad idea to return as spending another few years for this uncertain process can result into a nightmare.Just being here for GC makes no sense to me unless there is incentive such as career prospects etc

BrainDrain said:
Soon we come to realise that there is no career advancement, no promotions, no raises, valuable years pass by and we are left with retrogression and bad surprises.
This is what I have never understood. Why no promotion nor raise unless you have GC ? I know a lot of H1s who got promoted and got raise. Even with my experience, my salary started $120k and went up to $140+k and this happened during I was on H1. It's not bad. I might get a little better salary if I negotiated with employer if I had GC, but I don't think it can be way higher than that as these number are around market value in my area.
It's simply you picked wrong employer.

GotPR? said:
Even though I'm stuck at retro now(I'm not though), I PROBABLY will choose to be in the US. Being stuck in retro does not mean you are not doing anything. You keep working on H1/EAD and you can change job if you found employer and enjoying(?) your life. No time is wasted.
Whether time is wasted depends on what your goals are and the risks you are willing to accept. Doing things like buying a house, starting a business, getting promoted to management, etc. are much more difficult and risky without a green card. Somebody who went back to their home country 5 years ago to pursue those sort of goals might be well established in those goals now and better off than somebody else who waited out those 5 years in a stagnating career and ended up having to leave the US and sell their house at a loss because their GC got rejected or halted.

Last edited by a moderator:
GotPR.. it is not job like yours ( good for you ) that pay so well that one would be concerned in retrogression. Its for the ppl in dicey situation..expecting to get few hundred to a couple grand more every year that this scenario becomes difficult.

Personally if I made 120K I would not be that worried to be under retrogression and would be happy to continue here.Everyone has their own circumstances and choices to make.

GotPR? said:
This is what I have never understood. Why no promotion nor raise unless you have GC ? I know a lot of H1s who got promoted and got raise. Even with my experience, my salary started $120k and went up to $140+k and this happened during I was on H1. It's not bad. I might get a little better salary if I negotiated with employer if I had GC, but I don't think it can be way higher than that as these number are around market value in my area.
It's simply you picked wrong employer.

For people who are married and their spouses can't work in the US due to retrogression (i.e. being unable to find I-485), there is wasted time while they wait.