Why GC....when India rising

spulla said:
Besides, I wanna add, the money in India is not Indian.

Very True. While China is largely dependent on American market for its products, it is trying hard to get away from that over dependence by finding new markets. Though Indian service sector does have some market in Europe, it is still overly dependent on American Market. So, if American economy goes down for any reason, so does Indian. But over a period of time it becomes interdependent. For example, India buys planes from Boeing which in turn fuels American economy.

where do you think money comes to america to buy chinese goods?? china gives the goods and america gives the money in turn china gives the money back to FEd for it send it into the economy by way of cheap interest.
people in america don't save and spend money freely on credit cards...its america who are in trouble not chinese....if china pulls its forex from american $$ into say euros and yen...america has a problem.

every one is interdependant...this does not show in any way american economy is superior...infact it shows how vulnerable american economy is...

GreenCardVirus said:
Very True. While China is largely dependent on American market for its products, it is trying hard to get away from that over dependence by finding new markets. Though Indian service sector does have some market in Europe, it is still overly dependent on American Market. So, if American economy goes down for any reason, so does Indian. But over a period of time it becomes interdependent. For example, India buys planes from Boeing which in turn fuels American economy.

I would have believed you if you would have made the statement when the bubble crashed and India went down to the hole. But thats not what happened, the bubble did crash and India adapted to out-sourcing and BPO services than sending the brain power to USA. This eventually decreased the cost and the companies could invest their profit in expansion and other new ideas. Indeed Indian brain power bailed out America during the mild recession. I would be a fool to think that CEOs of Indian companies are putting their eggs in one basket and are depending only on US based businesses. May be you can call corporations as US based when it is incorporated in US. Businessess are globally owned these days, sometimes they function better than countries.

For Example, 70% of revenues for Heinz the grand old daddy of American is outside USA. Nycil and Complan are owned by Heinz.

Last edited by a moderator:
india has grown in the last 3-4 years.......sorry when i was there i have not seen the growth....hence i could not plan accordingly..

the summary is........america is number one.........and india may be growing but i still consider it somewhere number 4 or 5..

so many people are still coming on H1 visa.....and so many people are waiting for their GC (going thru hell while they are waiting..)...........do i need to say more.........

and those who are coming to this forum......who is saying india is better compared to usa..........are you also not interested in GC?? :D

if you have to go thru hell to get GC that says nothing about india..that says a lot about that particular induvidual who is desperate to stay in america..no matter what and has absolutely no self respect.just because few indians are like that does not mean everyone is like that...
by the way...isn't america better than india...then why one should go thru hell in america for a GC?? that is strange...

i would like to throw one more thing........

if we get GC in 2-3 years.......will there be a need for this discussion...

i mean..imagine you have got GC (its hard to imagine because it means FREEDOM to me...)....now tell me where do you want to live?

i know we want to be in our native place.....because thats where we belong culturally.....thats where our friends are....and or course all our families........

but imagine you can get 10 of your friends to america and 20 of your immediate families.........now tell me.....what will be your choice??

high speed internet at blazing speed --

neocor said:
If you say compare the internet speeds ... US is lagging way behind.... its 27th or something.

-------------------------------------
Where did you get this info.
Here you will get what you pay for.

In HK we can get bandwith of 1 Gbit/s via Fiber to the Building and Fiber to the Home. What we call high speed internet here, is called medium speed elsewhere. To get 1 Gbit/s might take decades in US.

[Think how much we are all fooled by these internet companies when they say high speed internet at blazing speed ..... infact they are just selling a medium speed one ]

techy2468 said:
but imagine you can get 10 of your friends to america and 20 of your immediate families.........now tell me.....what will be your choice??

....... international travel has become so easy now a days ... geographic location is somewhat not the issue.

Moreover ... the closer UR relatives to U .... more the problem... It is far better we meet them once a year or once in couple of years

disagree "americans are jerks"

Americans and other nationality people are as good or as bad as Indian compatriots.

But I still see more fairness in US than anywhere else. If You have a ability and zeal to do something, You can cross glass or any other ceiling.I live in silicon valley and in my field there are too many Indian owned/founded companies. I
see zero disrimination, But do agree that at higher level relationships matter &
It is easier to make them once you belong to same cultural background and
have similar bring up. I disagree with akela that colour of skin matter, People
of Indian origin brought up in US has no disadvantage .. either perceived or real.

Regarding India It has made a good progress, But Long way to go.

neocor said:
He is probably talking about some trade deficit shit.

neo

Sorry, I was not clear. What I mean is, for some reason(political or economic), if America wants to keep the jobs here. Or If the corporations find some other country(English speaking, like) with cheaper labor. What would India do?

Obviously, if I were american I'd would want to have jobs here. Sure, things can get a bit expensive, but people will be able to afford stuff, because they have the jobs. Economy, to get strong don't need to depend on cheap labor, but the profits for the corporations do. There is a possibility that corporations can be regulated. Right now the corporations in US are ruling. They can influence almost any bill that is passed in congress. Lobbying is the name of the game in American politics now. It is highly likely that the Democrats might get atleast House or Senate back in this years elections. Things might change. What makes you think Americans are happy that they are losing jobs? Only, because the representatives/senators in congress listen to corporations more than citizens, outsourcing is in full swing now. I am sure most of you know that there is an election reform bill that McCain and Feingold are so interested in introducing, that makes all corporate contributions illegal. If that comes through, the reps will start paying attention more to citizens and definitely try to appease their electorate. Things like these gotta have effect on outsourcing.

In a nutshell, what I meant was that, unless India invests this new found foreign money into infrastructure, the long term future is uncertain. Also, India needs to uplift the poor if they want to sustain their economy for years to come.

To all the people who get so defensive when we point corruption, politics at work place, politics in general, casteism, nepotism etc that is inbred and rampant in Indian culture. Also, if you dislike it here, it amazes me, why are you still here?

spulla you got it...
even 5 years back many of my desi friends used to get defensive comparing india/america or australia.............those days i used to leave it....because it was a case of sour grapes for them...(since they did not know how to enter this land of opportunity)........back them jobs and pay in india were not as plenty as they are now..

spulla said:
In a nutshell, what I meant was that, unless India invests this new found foreign money into infrastructure, the long term future is uncertain. Also, India needs to uplift the poor if they want to sustain their economy for years to come.

Agree with you.

But I doubt if the recent trend of outsourcing can be reversed. Any hurdles to free trade will hurt only America the most.

GreenCardVirus said:
Agree with you.

But I doubt if the recent trend of outsourcing can be reversed. Any hurdles to free trade will hurt only America the most.

Don't confuse free trade with offshoring jobs. Also as far as Free Trade is concerned, any signatory can withdraw from any agreement like NAFTA, FTAA, GATT, CAFTA etc with a notice(Usually 6 months). But free trade is actually good for India because it increases productivity in India, esp if there is any manufaturing being done because of these trade agreements. Remember that, India may not have an edge with these businesses as they have with IT. Again, there is tremendous amout of criticism from unions and common people against these Trade Agreements. Corporations succeded becacause they have money and power to influence the government. As far as outsourcing is concerned it can be reversed easily.

undefined
calif said:
Americans and other nationality people are as good or as bad as Indian compatriots.

I disagree with akela that colour of skin matter, People
of Indian origin brought up in US has no disadvantage .. either perceived or real.

Regarding India It has made a good progress, But Long way to go.

I guess you did not read my post carefully. I am also making the same point, there is a perception that there is a glass ceiling...but u see Indians crossing them, then the reason has to be different from your skin color. I guess the reason is the background of american ppl. They know the system better and hence better able to use it and rise faster.

To thos talking bad about India:-

You have no right to do that, because you left that country to be in the USA, seeking better life and now asking others (those unfortunate ones left back in india) to change the very system you and your prior generations developed. Why you did not try changing it? I know why, because you want to be in the US to enjoy your life.....so you just escaped from India, now turning back and talking bad shows how dirty you can be.

To those talking bad about USA:-

I will not say "Go Back", because I believe that you have the right to do that, because you live in a democratic country. What I hate of you is your comparisons. USA is USA just by itself, with all its advantages and wrongs. You can either choose to change the wrongs (many did that) or flot in the good and evil (as you do now). So take all your imagination and try change this very USA right from your home. You may have many cultural left overs from your country of birth, like religion, caste, male domination etc...try changing it from your home....and then extent that to the whole USA.

I have seen many people talking goods and bads about India and the USA at various times. My take is as follows:-

1) USA is a young country of immigrants from various parts of the world. The only way to find a commonality amoung all these different people is to create a framework of law, that is fair and democratic, under which every one can function for good. Whether you are in Chicago or LA, your life is the same, you get Safeway, Wal-Mart, Starbucks etc.... Moving one place to another, whether it is 3 miles or 3000 miles, is the same. The good thing about it is that , it is easy to do so. The bad thing, you have no relation to the ground that you belong (only american indians has it). Therefore environmental damage is not your concern or responsibility, as you can move to another place with the same facilities.

2) India is an old tiger. Many 1000 years of good and bad created a mess in india. It is hard to change the things you inherited, and it is harder if you are not aware about it. Population is a big problem in India. I have been to many African Countries, much poorer than India, but I found well organized cities traffic etc.... I think population is india's biggest problem (of course now Green Card too :)). Traditional ways teach us many things, which we loose in our immigrant life. Indians seems more informed than any other people, but does not want to leave their traditional life. If india could control population, then may be in next 50 years, it may become another America in economic terms, but still will be the very India in cultural terms (I might be wrong on this).

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I do have a GC here, but wanted to live in India within next 5-10 years. So just saving some money to go back and settle down there.

Thanks for reading.

JANHK said:
To thos talking bad about India:-

You have no right to do that, because you left that country to be in the USA, seeking better life and now asking others (those unfortunate ones left back in india) to change the very system you and your prior generations developed. Why you did not try changing it? I know why, because you want to be in the US to enjoy your life.....so you just escaped from India, now turning back and talking bad shows how dirty you can be.

To those talking bad about USA:-

I will not say "Go Back", because I believe that you have the right to do that, because you live in a democratic country. What I hate of you is your comparisons. USA is USA just by itself, with all its advantages and wrongs. You can either choose to change the wrongs (many did that) or flot in the good and evil (as you do now). So take all your imagination and try change this very USA right from your home. You may have many cultural left overs from your country of birth, like religion, caste, male domination etc...try changing it from your home....and then extent that to the whole USA.

I have seen many people talking goods and bads about India and the USA at various times. My take is as follows:-

1) USA is a young country of immigrants from various parts of the world. The only way to find a commonality amoung all these different people is to create a framework of law, that is fair and democratic, under which every one can function for good. Whether you are in Chicago or LA, your life is the same, you get Safeway, Wal-Mart, Starbucks etc.... Moving one place to another, whether it is 3 miles or 3000 miles, is the same. The good thing about it is that , it is easy to do so. The bad thing, you have no relation to the ground that you belong (only american indians has it). Therefore environmental damage is not your concern or responsibility, as you can move to another place with the same facilities.

2) India is an old tiger. Many 1000 years of good and bad created a mess in india. It is hard to change the things you inherited, and it is harder if you are not aware about it. Population is a big problem in India. I have been to many African Countries, much poorer than India, but I found well organized cities traffic etc.... I think population is india's biggest problem (of course now Green Card too :)). Traditional ways teach us many things, which we loose in our immigrant life. Indians seems more informed than any other people, but does not want to leave their traditional life. If india could control population, then may be in next 50 years, it may become another America in economic terms, but still will be the very India in cultural terms (I might be wrong on this).

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I do have a GC here, but wanted to live in India within next 5-10 years. So just saving some money to go back and settle down there.

Thanks for reading.
Good!!

on the topic of people getting defensive..well everyone agrees there are problems, actually no desi has to educate other desi on this, cuz everyone has experienced it first hand. the problem is how its said. to me its a case of arrogance that someone list only problems from their motherland.
the second point no is saying they dislike it here. i am sure the title of this thread reads "india rising...why gc" that is a valid question why do we need to come here and wait when you have opportunities in india.

in the end its a matter of preference. to the creator of this thread it might be valid point. for some people who point out india's shortcomings and say america is best...carry on waiting and good luck. that is your life's choice. its your life however you want your life is your choice. but that does not mean you ahve a right to tell others that india stinks.

much of the debate is about the traitor mentality and this ass-kissing to america mentality exbhited by desis here. someone mentioned about nepotism,casteism...in culture...i think ass-kissing can be added too.

outsourcing is another way of doing business...its part of free trade. whoever says outsourcing is not part of trade define trade?? its not just movement of goods. its also movement of services. outsourcing is movement of services. there is a provision in wto called mode 4 or 5 that specifically talks about service and knowledge trade. its inseparable.

india is dependant on amercian jobs...america is dependant on middle east oil...i can argue if middle east closes their taps america will go down. yeah right...this is a global interconnected economy no one economy controls anything. if america wishes to play hardball with outsourcing guess what india can also play hardball with where it wants to buy its aircraft, infrastructure contracts...the world does not operate in such a simple way.

spulla said:
Sorry, I was not clear. What I mean is, for some reason(political or economic), if America wants to keep the jobs here. Or If the corporations find some other country(English speaking, like) with cheaper labor. What would India do?

Obviously, if I were american I'd would want to have jobs here. Sure, things can get a bit expensive, but people will be able to afford stuff, because they have the jobs. Economy, to get strong don't need to depend on cheap labor, but the profits for the corporations do. There is a possibility that corporations can be regulated. Right now the corporations in US are ruling. They can influence almost any bill that is passed in congress. Lobbying is the name of the game in American politics now. It is highly likely that the Democrats might get atleast House or Senate back in this years elections. Things might change. What makes you think Americans are happy that they are losing jobs? Only, because the representatives/senators in congress listen to corporations more than citizens, outsourcing is in full swing now. I am sure most of you know that there is an election reform bill that McCain and Feingold are so interested in introducing, that makes all corporate contributions illegal. If that comes through, the reps will start paying attention more to citizens and definitely try to appease their electorate. Things like these gotta have effect on outsourcing.

To all the people who get so defensive when we point corruption, politics at work place, politics in general, casteism, nepotism etc that is inbred and rampant in Indian culture. Also, if you dislike it here, it amazes me, why are you still here?

you think there is no politics in america? man good luck with that. first of all every place has nepotism. if not casteism here there is racism. so there are issues like this everywhere. there are good people there are bad people lets not get carried away with this ethical issues.

how do you know india is not investing in infrastructure?? it cannot happen overnight. its happening...in 5-10 yrs there will be definitely lot more roads.
golden quadrangle is operating in many stretches. delhi has got metro...things are happening. if only you can lift your head out of sand then only you can see it right. i am not comparing america...i am talking only about india. outsourcing cannot be reversed. do you want to bet on it. the question is will india be the number 1 destination. that might change. but india will still account for major share of the pie. again IT and ITEs employ a small fraction of people in india...there is a lot more other things happening there too.
if you think outsourcing is jut about call centers...i think you are wrong. tehre is a lot of hi-end work done. just because you and i do not read about it does not mean it is not happening in india.

my question to you is if you dislike and bitch so much about india, why don't you give your education degree back and start going to school fresh in america, you might get an education free of casteism, nepotism, without politics??