Why did you choose AOS over CP?

nkm-oct23

Registered Users (C)
I read and post in this forum regularly and find too many people waiting for AOS to come thru. I am curious, why did you guys not take the CP route? Some possible answers I can think of are:

1. Employer/Attorney discouraged/disallowed CP option.
2. Personal- fear of visa rejection.
3. Personal- Trouble traveling to home country in short notice.
4. Personal- spouse wanted to work ASAP.
5. Personal- Out of status issues.

FYI I went the CP route. My details are:
LC filed April 2001, approved Sept 2001.
I-140 filed for CP Oct2001, approved Jan 2002.
CP interview Oct 2002.

It would help if you post your reasons as well.

Thanks!

I had initially opted for CP route but later changed to AOS as I knew I would be laid off in a few months.. AOS provided me a chance to look for a new job, and then file AC-21.

IMHO, if one has confidence in their job security (what is that? ;)), one should go for CP. If not, AOS is the best route.

-ab

Atlantabhopali---- I agree with you

If CP is rejected the no appeal if AOS is denied one can file for Motion to reopen or go for appeal and lawyer can handle AOS in US. becase of AC21 many prefer to file AOS as AC21 is NOT applicable to CP

I was forced to chose AOS since my compnay does not allow CP!! I spent a lot of time trying to convince the "decision-makers" but it was of no use.

Personally I have not heard of anyone getting a reject when they go for DP. I was willing ti take the risk. CP takes about 5-6 months I have heard while AOS takes forever......

Besides all the above reasons CP option also means a trip to home country to attend the interview. You need time and money for that, which are both rare comodities !!

You can CP even if your company does not allow as you own the I-485 not the company. I assume your company only pays for AOS and not CP which is a problem if cash is tight.

I got a pros and cons letter from the company attorney which was very pro AOS because of the extra options.

I chose the AOS route, but who would have guessed the complete stoppage we are experiencing these days.

I was completely ignorant of the green card process until this year, when I came to this forum. My AOS was handled by company lawyers. They gave me forms and I filled them out. I didn't know there was an alternate method i.e. CP.

w8nc

RD 08/01

Additionally, let me advise you of a recent development--additional security checks have been instituted at random.
I will cite a specific case so that you may fully comprehend the travails/uncertainty.
A friend of mine had his CP in Chennai recently. In August he was advised that his interview would be around September 25; early September he was advised it has been preponed to September 15. He was happy and bought a return ticket taking 15 days leave.
In Cheenai the interview was postponed to 25th again; the interview took place and both his and his wife's immigrant visa were approved. He was then told that the visa numbers for September were exhausted and he would have to wait until October 1 for the new visa numbers to arrive and he thought by October 3 the visa would be issued--the Customer Service Rep at US Consullate virtually assured him (99.5%). He rebooked the tickets accordingly for October 6.
Come October 1 he was advised that a new security check program has been instituted and his case was one in this new program--it would take 30-45 days for this check to come through.
As of now he is still stuck, not knowing when he can return and whether his American employer will continue to employ him.
So beware these pitfalls!

The only reason for going for AOS was "Chennai consulate" which is highly unpredictable.Though I have never had any problems for any of my visas,I would rather wait for sometime,than go in there for a personal appearance.

True..

Yes,

And with AOS you have the (relative) safety of being 'in' the country all the time. I can't imagine the anxiety one faces when going for the CP, knowing that if something goes wrong, you can never come back ! (that may be a rare occurance, but just think about it if that happens).

Again, it is upto the individual to decide the pros and cons of both options. Although CP is a fairly safe and fast method, there is that small small percentage of risk.

Bottomline - CP is fast, but with some element of risk, and no chance of appeal. 485 - sloooooow...very very slooow, but less riskier.

Decide for yourself !!

Originally posted by JagadishP
The only reason for going for AOS was "Chennai consulate" which is highly unpredictable.Though I have never had any problems for any of my visas,I would rather wait for sometime,than go in there for a personal appearance.

it is not very risky - but there is - I would say .5% chance of getting into trouble.
but if everything is OK with your case and if u have an understanding employer who might put up with any possible delays - it should not be a problem.
after 140 approval and if u had mentioned CP in 140 u will get interview in approx 6 months
as someone said - " the greatest risk is not taking one"

1. Chennai Consulate
2. Future employment so dont know how the CP goes with it.
3. Thougt I've back up that I can use to go for CP as my current employer also filed my labor in RIR at CA but stuck.

Any comments on future employment and CP. may be I should post in CP thread :rolleyes: