Wht to say when asked about "status"?

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
I have been recently interviewing for technicial positions and the first thing they ask is your status? Citizen, GC Holder, EAD? Well first i replied EAD, even though i dont need an ead(SSN and drivers license would do) but then they think its an H1 and go "can you work for any employer? for any perioud of time?" and i go "YEs" then they go then you are on h1? I Go "NO"..Then they go then how are you able to work indefinetly without a GC or citizenship..

So now i have started to say "GC HOLDER"..is the right thing to do? Its hard to describe an ASylee!!!!

it s funny

i m carrying a paper printed from the computer from the bcis web site
it says i can work incedently as an asylee plus my receipt notice and an ID
ande it s working fine

I think the best thing to say is " I am a resident and has permanent work authorization".

All they want to hear from you is that you have permanent work authorization.

If you say that "I have a green card" , it is not true. But Asylum gives you a permanent right to live in the US (of course provided you home country remains dangerous and you don't committ henious crimes here etc etc). But my point is straight forward. You do not need to explain them what asylum is, because they do not care whether you are a citizen, green card holder, refugee, asylee.. what they want to know is simply permanent work authorization, which we have by virtue of asylum.

hope this helps,