White House Wants To Eliminate Family Based Greencards

thera33

Registered Users (C)
If the White House has its way then U.S. Citizens would not be able to sposor their parents or siblings plus U.S. citizens would not be able to sposor their children over 21....The real question is,: if a law is passed now to eliminate those categories, would it affect those already in the system in hindering them from getting their Greencards. Or will USCIS simply refund everyone their monies? Please post your comments

That's messed up because my family came here based on that :p I think it's too harsh not to allow people to sponsor their spouse, children (adult or not), parents. Not allowing brothers and sisters is understandable.

They keep cutting down family based immigration and keep increasing work visa's.

That's messed up because my family came here based on that :p I think it's too harsh not to allow people to sponsor their spouse, children (adult or not), parents. Not allowing brothers and sisters is understandable.
They're not talking about cutting off spouses or (non-adult) children. Just "extended family".
They keep cutting down family based immigration and keep increasing work visa's.
Good. We need smart workers in the USA, not people who got lucky because their sister married an American.

Its not unsubstatiated, its been reported in the news.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/topofthehour.aspx?StoryId=74294

Personally I support this move. Family based immigration should be limited to spouses and non-adult children IMHO. At the very least siblings shouldn't be allowed, why the hell should my brother be eligible to apply for a green card just because I have one?

I too support this, IF it prevents the Anchor baby Illegals.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/topofthehour.aspx?StoryId=74294

Personally I support this move. Family based immigration should be limited to spouses and non-adult children IMHO. At the very least siblings shouldn't be allowed, why the hell should my brother be eligible to apply for a green card just because I have one?

Thats really harsh of you to say that. If you know how it feels to have your family around you(your, kids...young and old and of course your mother and father)..you would surely reconsider your thinking. I guess when you are getting old and your bones and brains are giving way, they can play a very important part even if you are planning to finish life at a golden age home family members will still be needed....then you will say that the Government cause your kids not to be here....they were somewhere over the world trying sweating away hard to make ends meet.

But the real question is: if the White House has its way, would the law require USCIS, NVC and consulates to pull all these files....if so, what a mess with lawsuits flying all over the place. Or will there be a cut off date for the USCIS to accept applications in these categories?

They say that the White House "reportedly" may do something, yet they cannot provide a single person or quote to substantiate it. There's no introduced legislation, no specifics, nothing. Just an unsubstantiated claim by a staff reporter who for all we know could have made it up.

It amazes me; when people ask for advice they refuse to believe it unless it can be backed up by official documentation and something just short of a sworn affadavit from the Director of USCIS. When it comes to rumors on the news. their critical thinking goes out the window.

In other news, the White House will reportedly send dr_lha to Guantanamo Bay.

If you know how it feels to have your family around you(your, kids...young and old and of course your mother and father)..you would surely reconsider your thinking. I guess when you are getting old and your bones and brains are giving way, they can play a very important part even if you are planning to finish life at a golden age home family members will still be needed.

Good. You can move to be with them. :) I don't dispute that there's a role for family reunification, but the fact remains that around 85% of all US immigrants are coming here based on who they are related to, who they are sleeping with, sheer luck or the fact that their home country is a complete cesspit. Moving things even to a 50/50 balance would be the right thing to do.

Or will there be a cut off date for the USCIS to accept applications in these categories?

Why are you asking this question when there is no law, not even a concrete proposal?

AGree with the RealCanadian

There 2 freaking websites across the entire internet (those too from the phillipines). Where's the USCIS press release or white house update on this thing? It's bogus....placeholder for those websites who cannot fill up the pages with decent news.

Next thing I hear is they are going to cancel lunch hour breaks in the USA. Japan seems to be ahead cos they skip lunch hr and stay productive at work...this was reported on....yet another filipino website ! Oh and yes, hot off the press: UPS workers will be allowed to wear pants starting from the next financial year. IN other news: Cigarettes, wayfarers and Baggie pants are back in fashion !!

Tennis, anyone ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. You can move to be with them. :) I don't dispute that there's a role for family reunification, but the fact remains that around 85% of all US immigrants are coming here based on who they are related to, who they are sleeping with, sheer luck or the fact that their home country is a complete cesspit. Moving things even to a 50/50 balance would be the right thing to do.

Why are you asking this question when there is no law, not even a concrete proposal?

Would you really move back, especialy if you found out that your country is in a slump and you cant even walk on the street without getting killed and maybe by your own children who feel rejected by society...I bet you dont....think positive...everyone deserves a chance an yes it needs to be 50/50...so then, they should increase EB numbers. America is very big place..underpopulated to its size comparing to India and China.

There 2 freaking websites across the entire internet (those too from the phillipines). Where's the USCIS press release or white house update on this thing? It's bogus....placeholder for those websites who cannot fill up the pages with decent news.
Because its not real unless the president issues a press release right? ;)

I tend to agree with you though, the reports so far have been mainly about how people are "outraged", rather than actual facts.

Its probably just wishful thinking on my part that hoping that its true. I'm still holding out hope that they'll abolish the Green Card lottery as well.

Seems like a bad political move. No one wants to loose votes over this. Decreasing family visas and increasing the controversial H1 visas will only make it more controversial.

I can't understand the attitude where its OK for us to bring random family members to America who will be a burden on the state, but H-1 visas to bring skilled workers to this country are "controversial". Talk about ass-backwards.

Seems like a bad political move. No one wants to loose votes over this. Decreasing family visas and increasing the controversial H1 visas will only make it more controversial.
H1s are skilled worker, and a lot of those comming under FB category does not qualify H1. If "voter" thinks very carefully, it's obvious which will hurt the job opportunity of US citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
America is very big place..underpopulated to its size comparing to India and China.
I don't think 300 million people can be considered "underpopulated", regardless of the size. If anything, India and China are overpopulated.

I'm all for increasing skilled workers' immigration and eliminating extended family.