White House online petition: include all legal presence in the 5-year rule

TheRealCanadian

Volunteer Moderator
It's a good try, but I don't think it will get very far. Back when S.1352 was around they were planning to reduce the waiting period by a year for those fluent in the english language. That may be a more promising avenue of approach.

It's a good try, but I don't think it will get very far. Back when S.1352 was around they were planning to reduce the waiting period by a year for those fluent in the english language. That may be a more promising avenue of approach.

There is no reason to support just one petition. I agree in spirit with rewarding English proficiency, although English is already required for naturalization, and adding another "fluency" test may be controversial.

I was looking for suggestions regarding the text of the petition and ideas for how the intial 150 signature threshold could be overcome. Of approximately 700,000 LPRs this could benefit directly, how can we get 150 to support it?

If they're going to give millions of illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship, they should do something like the above to accelerate the naturalization eligibility of those who have been legally present for years.

However, allowing the entire 5 years before permanent residence to be counted is too generous for them to grant it. Ask for something like what Canada does, where they allow counting half the time in legal status immediately before permanent residence, up to a certain maximum.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, allowing the entire 5 years before permanent residence to be counted is too generous for them to grant it.

I'm open to suggestions. Do you mind explaining why you feel that this is too generous? The intent of the 5-year waiting period was, presumably, to Americanize the immigrant, and see if he can obey the laws here. Someone who did part of his time in a non-immigrant status in fact had to comply with more than what's required of LPRs, including keeping a job or staying in school.

The only thing I can think of that legal non-immigrants can do that LPRs can not, is file taxes as non-residents, in some cases. However the petition doesn't ask to relax this requirement. Should it be amended to state this explicitly?

I'm open to suggestions. Do you mind explaining why you feel that this is too generous?

Too much change at once brings additional resistance in politics. It's too generous for politicians to accept, especially right wing politicians, because it would cut down the wait time after green card approval to nothing for many immigrants, enabling people to file for other family members that much faster, which makes them nervous about an opening the floodgates of chain migration. But if (for example), a maximum of 2 years of pre-GC legal status could be counted, that would be more acceptable and less frightening to them, and it would only reduce the remaining time to a minimum of 3 years, which would put it in line with what marriage-based applicants have to wait so it's not giving a massive unprecedented benefit.

The only thing I can think of that legal non-immigrants can do that LPRs can not, is file taxes as non-residents, in some cases. However the petition doesn't ask to relax this requirement. Should it be amended to state this explicitly?
Don't ask to relax the requirement; ask for the counting of pre-GC time to be limited to people who have filed taxes as residents, including paying SS and Medicare. That appeals to their sense of justice; more will be inclined to see the unfairness of paying taxes for years as residents without having any of that time of residence counted towards citizenship.

Thanks for the suggestions. You're probably right. Here's an updated version.

Title: Count LEGAL presence before green card towards the 5-year term for naturalization

Currently, legal permanent residents of 5 years are eligible to become U.S. citizens. However, the time an immigrant may have spent in the U.S. legally, studying or working, prior to becoming a permanent resident does not count.

For example, someone who spent 7 years getting a doctorate degree on a student visa, another 6 years working legally, and another 3 years as a green card holder is not yet eligible to become a U.S. citizen, while someone who came to the U.S. as a family-sponsored or a diversity immigrant 5 years ago can already become naturalized. Moreover, marriage-based immigrants can become U.S. citizens after 3 years in the country.

We propose changing the law so that up to 2 years of legal presence before green card could be counted towards the 5-year term, assuming the immigrant complied with what was required of green card holders during that time, such as filing taxes as residents, including paying Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Anyways, I probably shouldn't the one to upload this petition.

The petition is "invisible" until it gets 150 signatures, after which it would be 1 of only about 10 immigration-related petitions on the White House web site, so it should get some visibility in the upcoming immigration reform debate. The news sources hint that the upcoming bill has bipartisan support, so perhaps something will happen this time.

I think someone with more Twitter followers and Facebook friends than me should champion this petition to get across the 150 signature threshold. If anyone does, feel free to use my text, if you wish.

Moderators: did the first message get removed? I made an edit linking to the updated petition text, and now the original is gone.

Otimm - Your intention seems to be to advertise this petition on this forum as though you are starting a discussion about the petition. Can I ask why you are advertising it in this forum where it is not relevant.

It is hard to define continuous residence before green card. By defnition of NON-permanency, every trip outside
USA will re-set residence back to zero.

Otimm - Your intention seems to be to advertise this petition on this forum as though you are starting a discussion about the petition. Can I ask why you are advertising it in this forum where it is not relevant.

It seems relevant to me. It's a petition to change the requirements of US citizenship.

It is hard to define continuous residence before green card. By defnition of NON-permanency, every trip outside
USA will re-set residence back to zero.

No. We're talking about people who were paying US taxes as residents before green card approval. They would have a status where they're not expected to maintain a foreign residence, e.g. H1B, L1, or AOS pending, but not F1 or J1.

Thanks for the suggestions. You're probably right. Here's an updated version.

That version is better. Later when I have more time I'm going to think of a rewording to put greater emphasis on the taxes part, in order to appeal to the more persuasive idea of "We've been paying taxes as residents, so some of that residence should be counted towards citizenship", rather than have it mentioned as a mere afterthought.

Be careful with that. Under certain tax treaties, citizens of those countries can file a 1040 as a resident without ever having entered the United States.

I wanted to point out that most F-1 and J-1 holders have to file as residents for tax purposes. The new bill is supposed to "staple GCs" to certain qualified new graduates, so it's probably not in the spirit of the reform to exclude students and scholars.

By the way, it's my understanding that the law does not explicitly say anything about tax returns with regard to naturalization. The USCIS simply takes the position that not filing taxes as a resident declares one a non-resident.

I wanted to point out that most F-1 and J-1 holders have to file as residents for tax purposes.
No, they normally file as nonresidents and are exempt from paying Medicare and Social Security.

The new bill is supposed to "staple GCs" to certain qualified new graduates, so it's probably not in the spirit of the reform to exclude students and scholars.
But that's a different issue from giving them quick citizenship.

By the way, it's my understanding that the law does not explicitly say anything about tax returns with regard to naturalization. The USCIS simply takes the position that not filing taxes as a resident declares one a non-resident.
So what? This is about making a persuasive argument to the politicians and the American people they answer to. So many times over the years when I try to explain my status and situation to an American, they'll say something like "You've been living here legally and paying taxes for that many years, and they still won't let you become a citizen? They should have made you a citizen long ago!" The wording of the petition should aim to tap into that sentiment.