While EAD is being processed... can I work inside/outside the US?

pickle

Registered Users (C)
I will be coming to the US on an L-2 visa. I was told it takes about 2 months to get EAD.

Questions:

#1 Is it true that while EAD is being processed I cannot leave the US?

#2 I realize that while EAD is being processed, I cannot work in the US. Can I, however, work for my Canadian employer remotely?

#3 I may have a job lined up in the US already. Could I volunteer for the company while waiting for EAD approval?

Thanks! :cool:

Anwers below!

I will be coming to the US on an L-2 visa. I was told it takes about 2 months to get EAD.

Questions:

#1 Is it true that while EAD is being processed I cannot leave the US?
FALSE, You can be in any part of the world when your EAD is processed.

#2 I realize that while EAD is being processed, I cannot work in the US. Can I, however, work for my Canadian employer remotely?

TRUE, You cannot work legally without EAD on hand and not just approved. No you cannot work for anyone based on EAD that is not approved if the company who is processing your EAD is US based.

#3 I may have a job lined up in the US already. Could I volunteer for the company while waiting for EAD approval?

How does volunteering help you when you cant join a company without a valid working document (EAD).

Hope this helps!

Thanks! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

How does volunteering help you when you cant join a company without a valid working document (EAD).
[/QUOTE]

They need somebody "now". I don't want them to hire someone else because I am not available to start for the next 2-3 months. I could start for free and start getting paid once I have my EAD.

They need somebody "now". I don't want them to hire someone else because I am not available to start for the next 2-3 months. I could start for free and start getting paid once I have my EAD.[/QUOTE]

Only desi companies love "work for free" concept. If you really want to work for an american professional company, I am sure that you cannot have your plans worked out.