Which is the Best Place in USA ?

Fairfax County

GUYS,

Fairfax County (Northern Virginia which is DC Metro Area) is named as the richest and the best county to live in USA. It has been rated #1 in the last two years (2001 & 2002). I have lived in NJ, but I like Virginia & DC Area which is very nice & excellent place to spend your life. Being in Capital I still feel so nice & secured. One of the best thing in this area is the commute. Metro (rail & bus) is so wonderful & very nice. Dulles International Airport is just 5 miles from my place, I-95 is just 12 miles away, I have a Indian cinema theatre, India restaurants (minerva, woodlands, tiffins..etc), Indian Grocery,Korean Market where you get all kind of vegetables that you would have never seen before & it's damn cheap, Tyson's Corner MALL which is one of the biggest mall in USA - all these with in 2-5 miles radius, Famous Shiva Vishnu & Murugan temple in 20 miles distance, During Independence Day you can see fireworks in Washington Monument etc. It so wonderful place to live.
I have also lived in Michigan (Farmington Hills) for sometime & it has got some very good golf courses.
My rating would be

1. DC Area (Northern Virginia, DC & Maryland called as tristate)
2. DC Area (Northern Virginia, DC & Maryland called as tristate)
3. DC Area (Northern Virginia, DC & Maryland called as tristate)

I love CT

I love my city, MIDDLETOWN, in CT, 20 miles from Hartford, state capital city.

This area is so quiet, safe and every thing you need is close to you. No traffic, no contamination, high quality life, high incomes for any job, minimum from $7.50/hour.

I lived before in Long Island, NY, I liked there too but now I prefer this state.

Originally posted by Jai Sharma
Manhattan/Northeastern New Jersey has to be the best place. The nightlife in Hoboken and in the Village is one of the best in the nation, BobbyV I have seen nightlife around the Georgetown University (I take you are from Virginia), belive me there is no comparison.
__ Jai

jai, you are right about that.

Re: I love CT

Originally posted by Stella-Maria
I love my city, MIDDLETOWN, in CT, 20 miles from Hartford, state capital city.
maria, i know ct is beautiful. i have spent some time there. it is a bit laid back. very nice scenic areas. it was a little too peaceful for me. it is on average more older. southern ct is famous as rich new yorker's retirement den.

Guys,

We lived in Raleigh-Durham (RTP) area for 3 years and have moved to job-depraved Central VA (bloody economy, can't change/find the job too elsewhere) since July'00. For my wife, RTP is still a pilgrimage. She just can't put it out of her thoughts.

We are just 2.5 hours North of RTP and still visit friends once in two months or so.

We liked RTP very much for its growth in last 4-5 years. The only thing negative about it is, it is in middle of nowhere geographically. Lately, job wise, more Pharmaceuticals are grwoing there in comparison to IBM, Cisco, Nortel earlier.

We lived in Austin, TX before that and you can't find a fault with the place.

Guys,

I am begining to feel that "the best place to live" is a very personal choice. It obviously depends on one's upbringing, for example someone brought up in Bombay may be more comfortable in New York whereas someone from Rishikesh might like Colorado Springs. Following is some statistics on two cities discussed on this thread (for those who like to compare numbers, someone like me goes more by the "gut feeling" though).

__ Jai

New York Washington National
Average

Population 7,428,162 519,000 52,500
Population density 25,464.4 8,567.4 3,011.6
Population change 1.44% -14.48% 11.26%
Income per capita $24,877 $26,855 $20,710
Median household income $45,692 $40,447 $43,014
Households 2,812,085 212,301 20,080
People per household 2.57 2.22 2.53
Median age 35.4 34.2 34.3
Median income $60,765 $65,083 $53,475

Like Jai said

It depends on what kind of a life you want. A person brought up in Bombay would definitely like NY metro.

I live in North East Jersey , Bergen county. One of the richest counties in NJ. You will find people from all ethinicities here. Unlike Edison, you won't find a hoard of Indian restaurants / grocery stores. The locale is good and so are the school systems. Housing is expensive though. A decent three bedroom house/townhouse will be in the range of 350 - 400 K.

Moving is a big decision ,especially if you have kids. Your job and their schooling will be of primary concern.

Go Fairfax!!!

magesh_kk,

I agree with you. To add more, it has an excellent schooling systems. Fairfax High schools are rated No 1 high school in USA and they have the HIGHEST paid High school teachers in USA ( avg 70k ).

Mad

It is nice to see quite a few people talking about DC metro area. We moved here 3.5 years ago from Princeton NJ. Princeton NJ was great. Little towns around university, pretty, quite and safe. We used to goto Oak Tree once in a while. It took us while to get used to this area.

However we love it here now. This area has everything that NJ has for Indians. I just love some of the tourist places in DC. Especially Capitol Hill, Library of Congress, and Museums.

Real Estate is the main problem here. A new single family home in Fairfax (VA) or Montgomery (MD) would be over .5 Mil.

By the way Montgomery County Schools - MD are just as good as fairfax. They both are always neck to neck in results.

consider these cities too

Just my order of preference

San diego , CA -- beautiful but expensive

or any of these TX cities ( hope you know there are no state taxes in TX)

Dallas -- lots of jobs
Houston -- biggest cheapest city , but not the healthiest
Austin , San Antonio

Alaska Baby!!!

The best place to live is ALASKA.. Wao
1. 1/10 rent from NJ/NY
2. Food and cost of living is 1/100 from NJ/NY.
3. No trafic.
4. No need of paying sking money you can do any where you like..
5. Summer is the Best

Choose ALASKA and you will like it.. I lived there 1 year.. I loved it..

Good Place.

Alaska Baby!!!

The best place to live is ALASKA.. Wao
1. 1/10 rent from NJ/NY
2. Food and cost of living is 1/100 from NJ/NY.
3. No traffic very less pedistrian.
4. No need of paying sking money you can do any where you like..
5. Summer is the Best

Choose ALASKA and you will like it.. I lived there 1 year.. I loved it..

Good Place to Live..

Green Love

Idea is good... But I am afraid, is there is a chance of my brain getting frozen :)

I heard the average temperatures in Alaska are in -30s.

Depending on the messages from our esteemed folks, 3 areas have got the highiest priority.

1. North East.
2. California.
3. Texas.

Chicago

Minneapolis is one of the best city i ever lived.. Got lot of opportunity except the snow.. But they are pretty good in cleaning, and they know how to drive in snow unlike other cities..

But I needed to choose Chicago due to my husband's job Vs my job and I guess except the snow, It should be the great city to live in..

Given a chance i prefer to live in
1. DC metro
2. Minneapolis
3. Dallas

DC vs NJ

Wow.. I was surprised to find so many people talk about DC here!! I was expecting the discussion to be mainly around NJ. I didnt know that so many people from this board live near DC

I want to add that even though I am from Bombay, I will never live in NJ(or atleast avoid it) I will love to live in NY though, although it would be much more expensive. Comparing DC to NJ, I feel that in DC you can be close to Indian community without getting too cramped up as in Edison. Sure, you have Indians all around in Edison, and you will feel that you are in India, but I feel that we Indians can tend to get a wee bit nosy. And if I want to feel like I want to live in India, wouldnt I go and live in ... umm.. I dont know..India!!!

Going back to the original question of jobs, I beleive NY will definetly have more and higher paying jobs than DC, but then you have many people looking for jobs. Many jobs in DC need security clearance, whereas many jobs in NY are in finance companies and quite a few of them require you to have experience working at a finance company. So, it kind of balances out.. I think, I havent seen any statistics. NY will definelty have higher paying jobs than DC, but cost of living in NY is higher than DC. So, I feel the decision is primarily on taste. Do, you like the hustle and bustle of NY or do you want the relative peace of DC? Do you need to interact with Indians on a daily basis or do you feel comfortable living near people from other ethnicities? On this note, I have heard several fellow Indians complain when they first come to DC that there are too many blacks. (One of my previous roommates would get scared when he saw a black guy jogging.. he was an idiot) I really dont think it is a problem, because as long as you live in the suburbs and in a good area, you wont find crime, even though the community is black dominated. Usually urban and poor areas are high in crime. It doesnt matter what ethnicity are the people living in an area. So, as long as yout stay in a "good" neighbourhood, you are fine

Without doubt the best place to live in is Miami (at least for those people who still have a pulse).

Not that I live there or anything but I've visited it many times and I know a few friends who've moved to that area (Maimi, Ft.Lauderdale, Boca Raton) over the last 5 years. They are very happy with their lifestyles. People don't seem to work as hard down there, and know how to enjoy the life. Prices aren't as bad as the NorthEast. And everything is New and Modern. And you can't beat the weather.

i have invariably heard from everyone who moves to DC from any other metro, that it took us a few months to get adjusted but now we love it here. we dont want to go anywhere else.

and i think it is because dc as a metro is quite spread out. even the downtown is a bit spread out. in a sense dc lacks the history and character that you will find in a city like boston for instance. but there is anything and everything you will need. best universities to best libraries to best public schools to best restaurants etc. there are three big airports to choose from. many many beautiful places in drivable radius. and the cost of living is mediocre.

one thing i see missing here is an ivy league business school.

one more thing if you are into small budget/independent/classic movies - most of the restricted release movies and features are released in New York and Los Angeles only ----- darn!

Bobby,

Huh?? DC doesnt have history?? It's the capital, how can it have not history??? maybe it lacks in character, but it definetly has history!!! or maybe my definition of history is differrent from yours. There are several war memorials pepperred tghrough out the area. You have several museums. I think there are many places you can go in DC if you are looking for history. Start walking at the monument in any direction and you will run into history.