which country don't need visa to go for PR?

mzoo_127

Registered Users (C)
so now,,, since a lot of us have received the GC. I'm just curious that other than Canada and Mexico, which other country do not require visa for a U.S. permanent resident?

Luka123 said:
Switzerland as well, I believe.

Switzerland definitely wants visas for RTD holders...

Besides, you cannot ask this question, without putting down what type of passport you are traveling on, and whether you are talking about only transiting through a certain country, or remaining there for a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
annaraka said:
Switzerland definitely wants visas for RTD holders...

Besides, you cannot ask this question, without putting down what type of passport you are traveling on, and whether you are talking about only transiting through a certain country, or remaining there for a time.

Actually switzerland doesn't require a visa of anyone traveling with any passport as long as they have a GC. Same like Canada. So nationality is irrelevant at this point.

Here it is:

http://www.traveldocs.com/ch/er.htm

No visa is required for foreigners who have a valid U.S. green card (Permanent Resident Card, form I-551) and a valid national passport for tourism, visits, business or medical treatment for a stay up to 90 days. Both documents (passport and green card) must be valid at least three months after leaving Swiss territory. Please note that the passport stamp "processed for I-551" is not considered a green card and that general visa requirements would apply in that case.

Luka123 said:
Here it is:

No visa is required for foreigners who have a valid U.S. green card (Permanent Resident Card, form I-551) and a valid national passport for tourism, visits, business or medical treatment for a stay up to 90 days. Both documents (passport and green card) must be valid at least three months after leaving Swiss territory. Please note that the passport stamp "processed for I-551" is not considered a green card and that general visa requirements would apply in that case.

I think annarka is right. RTD is not accepted by Swiss authorities. They do not recognize the green RTD but used to recognize the blue one before. YEs you can go with your NP but people who don't have a NP, will need a visa on the RTD.

Luka123 said:
Here it is:

Luka, you r 100% right, i just called the swiss consulate and they said the same thing. well it still sucks since that switzerland is not part of the Schengen countries, so if we want to visit like France or Italy, we still need a visa to go there. I was just wondering if you can get to the other european countries through switzerland without any visa if you are a PR of U.S.

They are supposed to become a part of Schengen agreement soon, I know they voted in their parlament on that issue 3 or 4 months back. However, I don't know will they change their policy than. Lets hope not so that we can all travel visa free.

Luka123 said:
Here it is:

Most refugees and asylees do not have national passports. Even for those who do, using your national passport is strongly discouraged.

thankful said:
Most refugees and asylees do not have national passports. Even for those who do, using your national passport is strongly discouraged.

Since I have seen you suggesting people to not useing their NP, which is Completely right but I am wondering why is that? Are they keep record of your stuff. Since I didnt know and I have been out of the US for 4 times now and the first time I called INS two times and officers told me I can use it since it is not expired but I cannt apply for the new one, Have you had any experience about asking you in port of entry if you have used you NP or not?
Thanks for your concern,

Regards,

Please read message below from another memeber of this forum

Mike N.
Registered User Join Date: Jun 2005

Using NP is not a problem with CIS and I have spoken with several senior immigration officers. You are not really benefiting in anyway, you are just chosing not to be stateless and there are countries that would consider you to be their citizen no matter what and would not issue you a visa based on that, so using your NP would be the only option. Local offices no longer process I-131, most of them have to be mailed to NSC or Chicago lockbox and some other addresses; however, in some cases local offices are authorized to process Advance Parole.
Bio 07/2005

South Korea

Per their SF consuls, PR with GC or RP can stay up to 30 days without visa.

Return ticket(s) required on entry.

ma1231 said:
Please read message below from another memeber of this forum

Mike N.
Registered User Join Date: Jun 2005

Using NP is not a problem with CIS and I have spoken with several senior immigration officers. You are not really benefiting in anyway, you are just chosing not to be stateless and there are countries that would consider you to be their citizen no matter what and would not issue you a visa based on that, so using your NP would be the only option. Local offices no longer process I-131, most of them have to be mailed to NSC or Chicago lockbox and some other addresses; however, in some cases local offices are authorized to process Advance Parole.
Bio 07/2005

Please don't go with what other forum members tell you. I dont doubt's Mike N's claim that he has talked to Immigration officers but if your case goes bad, MIKE N won't be able to help you or I wouldn't be able to help you.

A logical option for asylees/refugees is to NOT use their NP because that's why you are stateless. You can't obtain the NP. Maybe you won't have any problems when entering U.S but that is also not guaranteed.

The USCIS offers you a RTD that is very valuable since it has the U.S name on it. Use it, don't make things complicated for yourself by using NP and rasing any issues in the future.

if you are a GC holder, using a NP is totally differnt. As an asylee, you are still asking to be protected and if you use your NP, you are claiming benefit from the country you claimed persecution from. Using a NP is a benefit so don't think that it is not.

Reentry Permit

wantmygcnow said:
The USCIS offers you a RTD that is very valuable since it has the U.S name on it. Use it, don't make things complicated for yourself by using NP and rasing any issues in the future.

How does the Reentry Permit comes into the picture? Is it treated the same way as RTD?

wantmygcnow said:
Please don't go with what other forum members tell you. I dont doubt's Mike N's claim that he has talked to Immigration officers but if your case goes bad, MIKE N won't be able to help you or I wouldn't be able to help you.

A logical option for asylees/refugees is to NOT use their NP because that's why you are stateless. You can't obtain the NP. Maybe you won't have any problems when entering U.S but that is also not guaranteed.

if you are a GC holder, using a NP is totally differnt. As an asylee, you are still asking to be protected and if you use your NP, you are claiming benefit from the country you claimed persecution from. Using a NP is a benefit so don't think that it is not.

I only posted Mike's message becuase as an Asylee, I used my NP to travel twice and I found no problems. The second time I used my renewed NP. In my RFE, I was asked to submit a copy of all NP I have in my possesion, and I did. I got my GC in July 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noman74 said:
Can GC holders with NP travel to the EU countries Visa free?

i think only switzerland is visa free if you have a U.S. GC. Well, it also depend on what nationality u r.

one-of-u said:
Per their SF consuls, PR with GC or RP can stay up to 30 days without visa.

Return ticket(s) required on entry.

I was looking at the korea consulate website, but couldn't find any info about you don't need a visa if you are a GC holder. can u provide the link?

mzoo

I made contact via email weeks ago. They replied:

If your re entry permit did not mention "refuge document", you may visit to Korea without visa for 30 days
with your return airline ticket(under 30 days) as tourist or transit.
Thank you,

Sep.22,2005

Y. Kim
Visa section
Korean Consulate General
in San Francisco

hope it helps

ofu
--------------------