whether to apply as B1/B2?

futuredentist

Registered Users (C)
My husband and I wish to travel to the States soon and we are wondering whether to apply as B1/ B2 (personal/business)?

My husband works for a branch of a small size US company here in the UAE and they can provide an invitation letter. We are wondering whether this will make our case stronger or weaker vs. just applying under personal/leisure category? I have traveled to the US several times and do not anticipate problems for me. I am worried that they will question his intentions if he shows the invitation letter from the US parent company?

Also is there a certain minimum bank balance or assets we need to show for a favorable outcome at the consulate?

Your advice is highly appreciated,
Futuredentist

If he is coming to conduct business then he can go the invitation letter route, otherwise just apply for a visitor's visa, there is no minimum requirements about bank balance or assets but they are considered as strong proofs of showing ties to the home country among other things.

Thank you namecheckvictim. Actually we still aren't quite sure because he will visit his company when we are there. We are just looking at the most favorable outcome for us. Would providing an invitation letter lead to suspicion that we are thinking of staying in the country for good?

What kind of benefits are you looking for? A B-2 entry, if granted, gives the visitor 6 months compared to 90 days for someone traveling on VWP, for example.

Is there any benefits attached with the B1-B2 visas like any favorable conditions that can give you leverages upon certain things?

Be honest

my advice in these situations is to be honest and to be prepared. If you're not going to be honest, however, you should be tenfold more prepared to back up your story, cause if they ask questions, you could get caught in a lie just by not knowing what to say.

I have travelled to the US several times and do not anticipate problems for me. I am worried that they will question his intentions if he shows the invitation letter from the US parent company or not. This is really amazing and surprised to me. I think it will be solved automatically as soon as possible.