Where to move after GC?

Inspire

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am looking for your input about a good place to live once one's GC is appoved. A while ago I saw a similar thread that was very informative. I am hoping to start a similar discussion here. Please suggest your pick and also let us know why you are suggesting it.

I would post it in some other forum (like "life after GC") in stread of here, but no other forum has as many participants as here.

thanks for your input.

inspire

Too generic question. :confused: Depends what you want, what you like and what you desire to accomplish in rest of your life. Some people love NY manhattan/bridge-tunnel life :rolleyes:, some people love sunny beach in Florida :cool:, some people like frozen Alaska :eek: . And, some people earn enough money, get citizenship and go back to their origin country :) .

well, i do know what I want and where I want to move, but I just wanted to see out of curiosity what others want and where they want to settle in for that... anyway, for me i like to be close to the ocean (within 4-5 hours drive), sunny and warmer weather (not like where i am right now, in minnesota), diverse population, housing cost within reach etc. The list goes on.

Inspire said:
well, i do know what I want and where I want to move, but I just wanted to see out of curiosity what others want and where they want to settle in for that... anyway, for me i like to be close to the ocean (within 4-5 hours drive), sunny and warmer weather (not like where i am right now, in minnesota), diverse population, housing cost within reach etc. The list goes on.

I suggest you to go to New Mexico :D:D or Brooklyn

Inspire,
If I were you, my first preference would be to move to Austin, Tx... Lot of new businesses are coming up in the Technology area, so there are more opportunities for SW Engrs. Next would be Bay-Area, Ca which is again an ever-green area for SW Engrs.
Ofcourse if you like city+suburban life, NY/NJ or Boston are the best areas predicted to be growing @~8% in Housing, Manufacturing, Pharma, Financials, etc. (this is as per one of the Wallstreet magazines...)
So, now it is upto you to decide where you want to go! Goodluck.

Chicago seems to be a nice place as well... expect for the windy weather during winter ( appox for 2 months )

my .02 cents

JJ

How about Baltimore?

Hi, I have an offer to Baltimore. I'm into real estate investment. My dream is to become a full time investor once I get my green card. But I know the townhouses in that area is in 250-300k ranges. which is a lot more than Columbus Ohio where i am right now. Apprecaition is good though. Anybody from that area can shed some light on this? What do you predict about teh growth in job and population in that area? how is the quality of life?

Thanks guys for your input.

Atlanta or Austin sounds nice. I have heard lots of good things about Austin, but it's a little too small city for my taste. I have been to Atlanta quite a few times, and I really like it there. What are the things that you don't like about Atlanta?

I have been to Chicago few times as well, but it's too expensive and little too cold. Still, I wouldn't mind moving there if money wasn't a factor. Also, Bay area would be an ideal place to be (never been there), but again the living cost is simply out of reach. I don't know much about Baltimore or New Mexico (Brooklyn, no no!), what are the good (and bad) things about them?

Please keep the discussion going.

inspire

Here are my take on places I've been (and lived).

1. St Petersburg/Tampa, FL
- Laid back, no hustle bustles..
- retirement place. Very cheap. Tax free state.
- Tampa is an industrial area with lot of companies.
- very bad public transportation

2. Miami, FL
- Too hip and trendy.
- Very expensive. Crime rate second only to Newyork.
- Tax free though, with lot of companies.

3. Bay Area, CA
- Best place climate wise and job wise (if you are in Tech).
- Very expensive
- Excellent public transportation

4. Minneapolis, MN
- Excellent place and people (they are known as minnesota nice).
- Low crime rate...its a family place
- Not expensive
- Extremely cold winter and not a trend setting place.

5. New Hampshire
- Nice place, beautiful land and nice people.
- Lowest crime rate.
- Easy access to Boston and upper new england
- Tax free ..no income tax, no sales tax.
- Real estate not that cheap, but cheaper than Boston suburbs.
- Very bad public transportation system.
- Extreme winters.

> close to the ocean (within 4-5 hours drive), sunny and warmer weather

Look at the Carolinas. The folks there are a bit hick, but the weather and real-estate situation sounds like it might suit you.

> diverse population,

Flushing, NY, Brooklyn, NY.

Seriously, I liked Maryland. Housing cost is prohibitive and traffic is a nightmare, but the weather is temperate and you can find people from all over the world.

Baltimore has a bit of a bad rap from the crack wars of the 80s. During the year I lived there part-time, I never had problems. Real estate is indeed still halfway affordable.

> have been to Chicago few times as well, but it's too expensive and little too cold.

Think about Milwaukee. It is about as cold, but the real-estate prices are slightly less prohibitive and the amenities of Chicago are less than 1 hr away. (and I guess you could classify Lake Michigan as 'ocean' after all you can't see MI from the waterfront in Milwaukee)

Last edited by a moderator:
Co is sweet !

I travel a lot and have been to several places. When I came to Colorado ( Colorado Springs) initially I did not like it, I came in the middle of winter, but over a few months i started liking it. Its a medium sized town, bout 60 miles away from Denver, mildly harsh winter ( 2-3 bad months). Traffic is peaceful and you can get a nice place ( 5 bedroom) for about 300k, if a condo fancies you its about 100k - Not much IT. Agilent, HP & MCI are the big boys, and all suck at keeping their employees happy.

I see it like this : Since I already do get to travel ( and if you plan to do that) i am halfway from both the east and west coast. I stay in the best part of town and the rents are bout 500+ a month for a single bedroom. Its perfect if you are travelling all the time like I do.

No crime at all. Not much Indian food, no temples, a few overpriced indian grocery stores

Places I have lived / travelled frequently

1) Chicago - Nice Place too

2) DC - EXPENSIVE

3) NYC - My brother lives there, pays 2000$ for an apartment in Manhattan thats 1/3 the size of mine. But night life rocks !

4) San Diego - I love this place. beaches are just spectacular. Warm and sunny. BUT housing is expensive, in general expensive - I would love to move here if its a perm job. Night life on the beach is awesome.

5) Greenbay (WI) - Not on my life. Sucks, cold even during summer, small shady town, with absolutely no night life and nothing to do at all.

6) Denver - Nice, crowded, but can live in a suburb close by, such as Aurora

7) SFO - Beautiful, but get ready to pay the price for the beauty

8) Boston - Pretty. wasnt here for long, cant comment more

9) Salt Lake City - just didn't like it

10) Pheonix - Baking oven ??

again, just my opinions. Please take them with a pinch of salt.

You know San Diego sounds like the perfect place to be! But, what I would like is a nice little 3 bedroom house (no townhouse), which probably would cost more than 500k? I really hate the idea of worrying about mortgage paycheck to paycheck...

Hey, everyone who lives here in america has the mortgage, and remember its equity building up for you !!! - Another Indian I worked with bought a condo for 200k 3 years ago, went up to 400k this year so he sold out and moved to a suburb around.

cantstopme said:
4) San Diego - I love this place. beaches are just spectacular. Warm and sunny. BUT housing is expensive, in general expensive - I would love to move here if its a perm job. Night life on the beach is awesome.

Nights in beach! Come to LA dude...

cantstopme said:
I've been to LA for a few days. The only and probably most major issue I had was with traffic :)

Well, it's obvious! Where there are more people, there will be more traffic - atleast more exciting than sleepy suburbs.

Atlanta is the best!

Though I live in NJ and work in NY (Wall Street / Financial) I feel Atlanta is the Best for following reasons:

• Moderate Weather (suites Indians)
  • Better Salary (if you compare NY/NJ/CA/CT earning/expense ratio)
  • Diverse Culture.
  • Indian Population (not too much like NJ/NY or not too less like NM/CO)
  • Good Technical Base
  • Good (and Large) Companies
  • Affordable Real Estate(Compared to NJ, NY and CT Earning/Mortgage ratio)
  • Good School System

Please comment if you agree or disagree.

Waiting!

Last edited by a moderator: