Where to move after GC?

From what I have seen, I definitely agree that Atlanta is one of the better places to live even though I am not an Indian (but from the Indian subcontinent). Nobody has said anything about Dallas. Anyone likes Dallas?

A relative of mine (citizen) recently tried to move to Atlanta. He is into network type stuff and had an awfully hard time to get a decent job in Atlanta. After 6 months he decided to go back to NYC to continue doing what he had done before.

There was a big move of educated folks to Georgia in the 90s, I think the trend has cooled down a lot in recent years.

I presume a majority of members on this board are in the employment-based category. In such a case, your residence should be in a place where you'll find enough job opportunities. When you get laid off, it must be easier to find and choose between several jobs. That I think is more important than looking for sun or beach or other unimportant things in life.

I think the theme of this thread was 'where to go after the GC'.

After you are free from the indentured servitude of H1b and pending I485, you are indeed free to use criteria such as sun, real estate and access to the beach as criteria to select the location of your abode.

Last edited by a moderator:
bhankas said:
I presume a majority of members on this board are in the employment-based category. In such a case, your residence should be in a place where you'll find enough job opportunities. When you get laid off, it must be easier to find and choose between several jobs. That I think is more important than looking for sun or beach or other unimportant things in life.

People tends to settle where they get a (one) good job - not more jobs. Secondly, if you have family - that matters - raising kids in good environment, family socialization etc. So just looking for a "safe" place where you get "enough" jobs and if that's the only criteria of selecting a place, that's is kind of selfish.

bhankas said:

You need to change your mentality, otherwise you would never become a happy person (hmmm, maybe just content, and that will be IT :eek: ). I cannot believe anyone will consider sunshine, beach as UNIMPORTANT things in life.

I feel sorry for you dude.

StayPositive :

You may not have experienced lay-offs, so you're not in touch with reality. I know a couple of people who lived in NewHampshire, Vermont, Texas, Delaware and such places and they got laid off and had to relocate to places with abundant job opportunities to get a job.

Its good to be optimistic, but it pays to be pragmatic. If you get laid off (God forbid it), these words of mine will pinch you. Expenses in this country remain constant whether you're working or not. And you need a job to take care of that, not sunshine and beaches.

bhankas said:
StayPositive :

You may not have experienced lay-offs, so you're not in touch with reality. I know a couple of people who lived in NewHampshire, Vermont, Texas, Delaware and such places and they got laid off and had to relocate to places with abundant job opportunities to get a job.

Its good to be optimistic, but it pays to be pragmatic. If you get laid off (God forbid it), these words of mine will pinch you. Expenses in this country remain constant whether you're working or not. And you need a job to take care of that, not sunshine and beaches.

I know where you are coming from, but life's too short to be pragmatic, and if have to relocate for abundant job opportunities, then you may need to re-consider the purpose of coming to this country or anyplace for this matter (which btw, no one asked or forced you to come here), the reason of doing what you've been doing at the first place. If the job you've been working your butt off just the way of making a living, then you are not living your life, you are just breathing. You'd better do something to change it, even if it takes you to move back where you came from, it's worthy it.

It's not simply about being optimistic, it's about being positive (there's a big difference), creating your own opportunity and your own reality.

looks like bhankas is the only practical guy in this thread.
beach, sunshine & other goody thing are fine.
the only problem is, they dont put food on the table.

what could have been a helpful thread, has been hijacked by the day dreamers.
rise & shine, people.

bhankas said:
StayPositive :

Yes, we had been thru that - company closing, layoff....whatever you can think of. It's part of life. Relocation is part of life because opportunities do not stay in one place - but it always should for a reason that makes sense. That's the very reason you relocated from another country, isn't it? It's good that your friends moved and got new jobs and I hope they are happy in their new places.

Secondly, migrating to a place where "enough" jobs or many companies are available does not help either. Let me give you one example. Sillicon Valley with "enough" companies and "enough" hi-tech jobs has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation (yes, including hi-tech workers). Companies are moving out from valley. Now, if today HP, Sun, Oracle move to Texas, should you move to Texas because there are "enough" jobs? Probably, if you get a (one) good offer from one of them. Otherwise, it does not make sense to move there. On other other hand, if you like Sillicon Valley, stay there.

Thirdly, in India hi-tech industry is booming? Why don't you try to move there? There are "enough" jobs in India, if you are hi-tech worker. You want to stay here, right? Living standard, car, hasslefree life (well, some way), children's future matter, right? That means just "enough" job is not "enough" reason for relocation, right?

Lastly, about beach and sunshine. When I was a kid my father used complain that I was wasting too much time watching sports/crickets - because they are not going to feed me anyway. Well, I am glad I did that (on offence to my father) and I still enjoy doing that. Very same way, you will find that lots of the people prefer sunshine, beach even though "it does not take care of expenses".
Final note: most of the industrial areas are actually close to beaches/sunshine - whether it's NY, Atlanta, LA, bay area, Tampa or San Diego. So, if you like beach, sunshine, I am sure you will find something that will take care of your expenses too.

ind15 said:
looks like bhankas is the only practical guy in this thread.
beach, sunshine & other goody thing are fine.
the only problem is, they dont put food on the table.

How about moving to somewhere in Iowa and living in a firm? :) I am sure there will be enough food to fill up a table space. I hope you won't miss anything from outside world as long as there are foods on the table. :)

Pralay :

When you relocate after GC, Im presuming you want to buy a house and settle down. If so, job market is the foremost factor in home-buying decision. You don't want to be in a situation where you get laid off and have to not only search for a new job in another are, but also have to start looking for buyers for your existing house. Places like Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa, Indiana might not have enough jobs, so chances are you'll have to move to another state. Areas where there are plenty jobs have good schools too, so its not like you're ignoring that factor.

Your example of "going to India because of job market there" is moot here, since that's not the subject of discussion (read thread title carefully).

Knowing the situation in Silicon Valley, I personaly would avoid relocating to that place even if I get a job there no matter how sandy the beaches are or how sunny the place is.

In hindsight, everything that turns out good seems part of life. But if one is wise, one should learn from others mistakes or past situation. If you still want to argue for argument sake, there's no point discussing this further (since you already mentioned your childhood experience).

Guys, just chill a bit.

This was such a nice thread in the beginning. People talked about nice places to live in once the immigration hassles are a thing of the past. People contributed their comments on various areas in this beautiful country where lifestyle real estate and schools come together to that mix that makes life bearable.

And suddenly the whole thread takes a turn and people start zinging each other over where the techi jobs are.

(btw. I just finished loading up a truck and car-carrier for a job related move to North Dakota. Jobs are sometimes not exactly were you expect them. And we are not going there bc. of the beaches :)))

hadron is right. lets keep this thread "healthy".

North dakota eh ?. May be one of the most "uncool" or "unhip" places in US. Worst winters...dry places...not a single tourist sites..etc ..etc.
But on the other side..ive heard that people are so nice over there. Doesnt have the notority of cities...and places are damn cheap. You'll save enough buck to go for the sandy beach vacation (where others have suggested). :)

bhankas said:
When you relocate after GC, Im presuming you want to buy a house and settle down. If so, job market is the foremost factor in home-buying decision. You don't want to be in a situation where you get laid off and have to not only search for a new job in another are, but also have to start looking for buyers for your existing house. Places like Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa, Indiana might not have enough jobs, so chances are you'll have to move to another state. Areas where there are plenty jobs have good schools too, so its not like you're ignoring that factor.

Yes, job is the most important factor, but certainly not the only factor. You have to consider other “unimportant” factors too. But in reality most of the people move to place where they can get a good offer. That’s the very reason your friends moved to New Hampshire or Iowa first. And loosing job, that can happen anywhere – not only places where there are “enough” jobs). I know people who got laid off from Orange County, CA (where there are “enough” jobs and mostly unaffected economic downturn) and moved places like Denver or even place like Boise, Idaho.
BTW, as you mentioned about home buying, the very reason homes near sunny coastal areas are high because most of the people consider “unimportant” factors of life and that’s the very reason in those area home equity is higher.

bhankas said:
Your example of "going to India because of job market there" is moot here, since that's not the subject of discussion (read thread title carefully).

I read the title “carefully”. And all the postings too – most of the people discussed about weather, culture, diversity, job opportunities etc. May be most of people posted here not exactly like you, but that cannot be the excuse to ridicule them stating they are considering “unimportant” (it’s your word) things of life.
And the topic of India came to me when I read your posting (not other people’s posting). Considering your own argument “enough” job is the only factor – then why do you want to stick a country called “USA”?

bhankas said:
Knowing the situation in Silicon Valley, I personaly would avoid relocating to that place even if I get a job there no matter how sandy the beaches are or how sunny the place is..

Well, in last 10 years lots of people across country (or from different countries) people moved to Sillicon Valley – not because of sunny beach, weather or even for the love of San Francisco liberal, gays and hippy culture, but for the very reason you are stating in your post – there were “enough” jobs. I know people who left their good job from other part of the country and went there for opportunities. Then they had to move back to again other part of the countries – because companies are moving in other part of the countries. On the other hand, I know people who got good jobs at places like Pittsburg, PA or Columbus, OH (the places which are not known for “enough” jobs), bought home and are living happy.
Bottomline, “enough” jobs is not enough. What a person needs is good, stable job where career growth is a good possibility. For future, who knowns 10 years down the road a company will stay here or move their plant to Mexico or their software division to India. Atleast you have 10 years to grow your career and taking care of other "unimportant" things of life – without spending time for looking for a place where there is “enough” job.

> North dakota eh ?. May be one of the most "uncool" or "unhip" places in US.

Well, actually Fargo/Moorhead is growing like a fungus right now. While other midwestern/plains cities are shrinking, they have a pretty healthy growth. Microsoft and Siemens have sizeable operations there. I tried to look for tech jobs for one of my brother in-laws, but there weren't too many 'real' jobs advertised (except for the usual BS labor cert job-ads.)

> Worst winters...dry places...

Yep, winters are harsh. We went up there for an interview in february, it was something like 30 below, driving on 10in of packed snow in the road. But it didn't seem to bother people too much. You drive your pre-heated AWD vehicle from your heated garage to your companies parking lot (with hook-up for the block heater). Before you leave you remote-start your engine so the car is nice and toasty and de-iced when you get there.

> not a single tourist sites..etc ..etc.

Actually, in the western part of the state they have a national park. Pretty nice if you like Prairie.
Folks up there just have a different take on things. I guess you have to love snowmobiling and cross-country skiing if you want to be happy there. A friend of mine moved last year, he already got into trap and skeet and is turning more and more into one of the locals. (Where else do you have stipulations in your lease like 'you cannot park your boat in the driveway', 'no loaded rifles on the premises'. )

If you want decent indian food, Winnipeg is only 3 hours away.

As for the beach: that's what folks up there have a condo in Florida for.

Last edited by a moderator: