Where to file N-400 from?

Ed2010

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I myself have moved out North Carolina to Chicago for a new job in Feb. this year but my high school junior son won't move and stays in our property alone by himself. I'm just wondering where to file our N-400 from, NC or IL? I still carry my NC driver license, NC address on credit cards and bank accounts although I do have Chicago address for paycheck stuff. I preffer to file from NC but my employer's address will conflict this. Does this appear a problem?

Thanks,
Ed

You should file where you live. If you need to change DL to go along with it, you should. No need to worry about credit cards since you own/rent the other property and that is a valid address.

If you are commuting though (monday to friday travel for work) and still living in old house, then that's a different story.

Thanks sanjoseaug20!

Alright, seems I should file from where I live. But I really don't want change my NC DL for my son's in-state tuition purpose (he wants go to UNC which might want parent's evidence living in NC like DL as well I'm afraid). Man, this really bothers me! Anyway, more advices would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Thanks sanjoseaug20!

Alright, seems I should file from where I live. But I really don't want change my NC DL for my son's in-state tuition purpose (he wants go to UNC which might want parent's evidence living in NC like DL as well I'm afraid). Man, this really bothers me! Anyway, more advices would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
If you permanently moved to Chicago, then you need to change your DL and physical address to Chicago and file from Chicago. Check to see if your son qualifies as an independent student for in state residency purposes.

Thanks Bobsmyth! Never heard of "independent student" thing, will definitely check it out.