Where is the final OCI approval made?

JPBoston

Registered Users (C)
A rather general question: After your photo/signature has been scanned, the next step is the official approval of the OCI. Where is that actually done? Is it in New Delhi or is it at the local CGI you applied at? I will guess that it is in New Delhi because that is what the scanning is intended for ... to submit the application into the system electronically that can be reviewed and approved in India. Is this accurate?

A rather general question:
After your photo/signature has been scanned, the next step is the official approval of the OCI. Where is that actually done?
------------Acknowledgment, Photo/Signature Scan is done by Consulate and is GRANTED by Consulate and OCI booklet is printed in Delhi and sent to Consulate where you applied OCI.

Is it in New Delhi or is it at the local CGI you applied at? I will guess that it is in New Delhi because that is what the scanning is intended for ... to submit the application into the system electronically that can be reviewed and approved in India. Is this accurate?
-------------------------

------------Acknowledgment, Photo/Signature Scan is done by Consulate and is GRANTED by Consulate and OCI booklet is printed in Delhi and sent to Consulate where you applied OCI.
Thanks for the info.

Ok now I am wondering whether the final approvals are actually made in New Delhi. Reason is when I checked on my OCI status, it had a date of tomorrow (instead of today's date here in the US) as the "Granted" date and then shortly later when I checked again, it was "Printed" with the same tomorrow date. This seems to indicate to me that the granting and printing actually happens in India.

Ok now I am wondering whether the final approvals are actually made in New Delhi. Reason is when I checked on my OCI status, it had a date of tomorrow (instead of today's date here in the US) as the "Granted" date and then shortly later when I checked again, it was "Printed" with the same tomorrow date. This seems to indicate to me that the granting and printing actually happens in India.
You have a strong logic. As the OCI is controlled by Homeland ministry which doed not have representative in US so more likely the approval process is done in india.

A rather general question: After your photo/signature has been scanned, the next step is the official approval of the OCI. Where is that actually done?

Is it in New Delhi or is it at the local CGI you applied at? I will guess that it is in New Delhi because that is what the scanning is intended for ... to submit the application into the system electronically that can be reviewed and approved in India. Is this accurate?

-------------------------

I don't know about the answer but this does not seem right to me. Technically you're saying that Delhi office is just to print OCI booklets??????? Indian Embassy in USA can issue a new indian passport, but cannot issue OCI booklet? If that's true definitely this is the dumbest processing I have ever seen by any government.

My only .02

I don't know about the answer but this does not seem right to me.
Technically you're saying that Delhi office is just to print OCI booklets???????
--------------------Yes, OCI Booklet is printed in Delhi.
Indian Embassy in USA can issue a new Indian passport, but cannot issue OCI booklet?
--------------That is correct. But the Consulates in future may print the OCI booklets. I read news from MHA 5-6 months back that Indian consulates don't have machines to print OCI booklets. Now Consulates are collecting enough money for cancellation of passport/SC(they created that only to get money) and collected &175 from many and that should be enough for OCI printing machines. FYI Indian Consulate NYC has 5000OCI Booklets ready with them and have not been collected (That is the information provided by Prabhu Dayal to news paper)

If that's true definitely this is the dumbest processing I have ever seen by any government.
--------------------- When Sonia Gandhi got Indian Citizenship did she pay $175 for cancellation of her Italian Passport? did she got SC from Italian embassy?:D
My only .02
---------------------

------------------

I don't know about the answer but this does not seem right to me. Technically you're saying that Delhi office is just to print OCI booklets???????
-------------------Yes, OCI Booklet is printed in Delhi.
Indian Embassy in USA can issue a new indian passport, but cannot issue OCI booklet?
--------------That is correct. But the Consulates in future may print the OCI booklets. I read news from MHA 5-6 months back that Indian consulates don't have machines to print OCI booklets. Now Consulates are collecting enough money for cancellation of passport/SC(they created that only to get money) and collected &175 from many and that should be enough for OCI printing machines. FYI Indian Consulate NYC has 5000OCI Booklets ready with them and have not been collected (That is the information provided by Prabhu Dayal to news paper)

If that's true definitely this is the dumbest processing I have ever seen by any government.

My only .02

well honestly from my personal OCI tracking last night, I disagree with the information about where OCI is granted.

In my OCI application:
Yesterday evening approx. 7pm ET My OCI status was at "Photo/Signature Scan" state.
I checked the status again at 11pm ET and it was changed to "Granted" state with date 12/29 (it was already 29th in India Time but 28th in USA)
Today morning (checked at 8:30 AM ET) it has reached to OCI booklet "Printed" state with date 12/29.

If you're saying that OCI is granted by consulate in USA, then are they marking wrong dates on OCI online status and they are working late nights ;)

IMO at least from my personal OCI status changes observation, both OCI "granted" and "printed" states are triggered by New Delhi office.

P.S. I filled SC and OCI together in one package.

well honestly from my personal OCI tracking last night, I disagree with the information about where OCI is granted.

In my OCI application:
Yesterday evening approx. 7pm ET My OCI status was at "Photo/Signature Scan" state.
I checked the status again at 11pm ET and it was changed to "Granted" state with date 12/29 (it was already 29th in India Time but 28th in USA)
Today morning (checked at 8:30 AM ET) it has reached to OCI booklet "Printed" state with date 12/29.

If you're saying that OCI is granted by consulate in USA, then are they marking wrong dates on OCI online status and they are working late nights ;)

IMO at least from my personal OCI status changes observation, both OCI "granted" and "printed" states are triggered by New Delhi office.

P.S. I filled SC and OCI together in one package.

smart84, I am with you here. This is exactly what I experienced and had mentioned above. I think my initial premise is true that the scanning of the photos/signatures is for that info to get into the system for New Delhi to review, grant and then print.

Last edited by a moderator:
smart84, I am with you here. This is exactly what I experienced and had mentioned above. I think my initial premise is true that the scanning of the photos/signatures/app is for that info to get into the system for New Delhi to review, grant and then print.

Agree. That's also my understanding after following closely on my OCI status change. To me it sounds like the whole OCI process is taking long due to lack of efficiency by consulate general offices in USA. They are taking toooooooo long to open and acknowledge the package and enter into the system, but once that is done within two weeks my OCI has moved from ACKNOWLEDGED to PRINTED state.

Agree. That's also my understanding after following closely on my OCI status change. To me it sounds like the whole OCI process is taking long due to lack of efficiency by consulate general offices in USA. They are taking toooooooo long to open and acknowledge the package and enter into the system, but once that is done within two weeks my OCI has moved from ACKNOWLEDGED to PRINTED state.

Yes exactly. Mine got acknowledged 12/11, scanned 12/13, granted*AND*printed 12/21 and then dispatched to NY on 12/24. The inefficiencies clearly are at the consulates here in the US because my application had reached CGINY on 11/8.

Yes exactly. Mine got acknowledged 12/11, scanned 12/13, granted*AND*printed 12/21 and then dispatched to NY on 12/24. The inefficiencies clearly are at the consulates here in the US because my application had reached CGINY on 11/8.

Congrats :) You are on your way to the final destination!

Assuming you applied for SC and OCI together, if that's the case then looks like NY CGI is more efficient than Washington CGI :) Mine reached Washington office on 11/12 (sent in mail on 11/9), they ACKed on 12/16, Scanned on 12/24, Granted/Printed on 12/29.

Yours took only 2 days to get photos/sign scanned in NY but mine took 8 days :)

At least I am happy that mine is progressing!

Assuming you applied for SC and OCI together, if that's the case then looks like NY CGI is more efficient than Washington CGI :) Mine reached Washington office on 11/12 (sent in mail on 11/9), they ACKed on 12/16, Scanned on 12/24, Granted/Printed on 12/29.

My application reached to washington on 9 dec but no status update yet.

My application reached to washington on 9 dec but no status update yet.

Yours is almost 1 month behind then mine. You should be able to get ACK between 1/10-1/16 assuming they don't get a big pile due to Christmas holidays :)

You may check with your bank to find out if they cashed your cashier's check. I was also tracking that simultaneously.

Thanks very much, it's been a long journey. This actually was my second OCI submission. The first time I tried to do both SC and OCI together and the OCI people rejected that because I did not have the SC and they sent everything back to me. So I did the SC first and then applied for OCI which is now what I am waiting for.

Thanks very much, it's been a long journey. This actually was my second OCI submission. The first time I tried to do both SC and OCI together and the OCI people rejected that because I did not have the SC and they sent everything back to me. So I did the SC first and then applied for OCI which is now what I am waiting for.

Aaah I see. No wonder why they took only 2 days to scan OCI photos/sign because yours already had SC on the file :) but they had to wait to get SC on file in my case since I applied both together and probably that's the reason why they took about 8 days. Bottom line is all CGI offices in USA are suckish ;)

Aaah I see. No wonder why they took only 2 days to scan OCI photos/sign because yours already had SC on the file :) but they had to wait to get SC on file in my case since I applied both together and probably that's the reason why they took about 8 days. Bottom line is all CGI offices in USA are suckish ;)

I think once Travisa takes over the document review/processing of the OCI application submissions, things will improve a lot.

where did you apply?
Washington emm. web site tell to apply sc/oci together.

My consulate in New York. They say not to apply for OCI without getting SC first. Different consulates/embassy have different standards.