When will our day come?? Real depressing..

indeed it is depressing...

most of the sep. '01 done and a considerable oct '01 done... but we few sep '01 are stuck without any possible reason.... i had not even gotten rfe with rd : 09/06 and in the verge of losing job soon!!! it is so pathetic the way INS works!!!

I almost forgot

about the real reason on this board. :(

Look at all the threads... mortgage.. suv... jobs. No one seems to talk about 485 anymore.

they said 1-2 weeks of delay on Nov 22! Its over 5 weeks since then. No one seems to take responsibility. They should at least give us updates on the change. We are sitting in the dark. Not a good way to spend our holidays! This has become so frustrating. It will be such a relief when it happens... if at all it happens!

Just curious

Have you ever thought about alternate plans if something like "No more GC's will be issued" policy is implemented by Homeland security. I know that this will not happen. But my mind wanders to all different extents.
My 6 years will be over next August. I have a house, two vehicles etc.,etc., to dispose if we have to go back. Frustrating.
We might take it in the right spirit that God has destined that our children should be brought up in the Indian way in India.
What about you guys??
People who are not married have no problem whatsoever.:(
BTW, I am not spreading any rumour and don't start bashing me.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Just curious

Originally posted by roran
People who are not married have no problem whatsoever.:(

I resent that! What makes you think we dont own stuff? In fact we are the people who have all kindsa junk. We have no high-command to give us permission to buy things. :D

And then there are those "preferably settled abroad" phrases we have to worry about ;)

Going back might be a tough option but its not the end of the world. If one is lucky he/she can find jobs that pay pretty good salaries in India. There is always Canada or Singapore if you intend on making money.

Re: Just Curious

Backup Plan:

This is what I have done so far -

* Applied for Canadian immigration immediately after Sept 11th. Received a notice a few weeks back that interview is not required and they asked for medical, pay stubs, FBI fingerprint check to be submitted. Did that. Hopefully should have the approval by end of Feb 2003.

BTW - for those of you who are interested, the Canadian immigration application is very simple, you can do it yourself, no lawyer (i.e. LIAR) needed.

All the forms and info are online -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/index.html

Also note that you can immediately sponsor your parents for Canadian immigration as soon as you case is approved. What more can you ask for?

In order to avoid last minute hassles if my case is denied, I keep all my assets as liquid as possible -

* Still drive my old faithful '94 Corolla.

* Dropped the idea to buy a house - twice, after paying the initial registration.

* Still stay in the same 1 bedroom apartment, since the past 4 years.

I eat well, sleep well, workout 4x a week, flirt with female co-workers, read a lot about .NET to stay ahead of the pack, and check my case status once in 4 weeks.

Guys, don't worry too much - you have come this far, you have the skills, you are still young and healthy (at least most of you). You will survive and prosper wherever you are.

just my 2 c :cool:

We are mentally prepared

to go back. The only thing which bothers me is selling the house. According to me, I need atleast a month or two to sell the house. But, my husband keeps telling me that if I give green signal, he can arrange for everything and go back whenever he want. Our house has appreciated by 75K since we bought it last year. So, for that matter I am not under any pressure. I am sure I will get a good decent job in India as I was working in Bombay and Chennai for 3 years before we came here. Only thing matters is settling down again right from scratch.
My husband's intention is to try some other country (keep moving around the world), but my opinion is, if not this country, just go back to good old home country,settle down and worry about the kids education and future. Most likely will go back to Mumbai.

<Do they have any Labor , I140 ,I485 equivelant Stages ...>

No, none of this nonsense.

There are the steps for Canadian immigraion, in brief:

1) Submit the completed forms, application fees, copies of degrees, paystubs, birth/marriage certificate, reference/experience letters, bank statements, photos and FBI fingerprint check. Police certificates from other countries may be required - check the application guide (thankfully not from India - the Canadians know that it is not worth it).

2) In about 6-12 weeks you will receive your file number.

3) In about 11 months you will receive a notice that will -

1) Tell you whether or not an interview is reqd.
2) Medical Forms.
3) Any other documents to be submitted.

Before you submit the application, please check that you meet the minimum number of points required for qualifying. You can find more on this by reading the application guide.

I-485: Yes I am concerned too..

My RD is 11/20/01 and ND 12/11/01. I was hoping to get approved by now. With the current freeze, I spoke with my corporate attorney and straight away asked if there is any hope. I was told that I should look to getting something by Feb 03 - just my attorney's gut feel. Mine is a simple case - been with the same form for last 6+ years.

Meanwhile I also received my new EAD in mid Dec for EAD filed in mid Nov. However I have not yet received AP filed at the same time.

If anyone has any insight, from your attorney/IO, when the freeze will be lifted, please post. Thanks.

I have made plans to go back to India incase GC/H1 expires.

I recently visited India, man it so great out there with family/relatives/friends and good weather except for pollution.

I can't believe, I am wasting my time in this country for money. Well enough said.

I have seen lot of jobs moving off-shore and there is decent hiring in India for software professionals from USA.

So, I don't think people should worry abt settling in Canada or Alaska.

Try to look at u'r home country and see what a change there is unless u hate it.

Re: Re: Just curious

See the replies below:

Originally posted by patienceGC
I resent that! What makes you think we dont own stuff? In fact we are the people who have all kindsa junk. We have no high-command to give us permission to buy things. :D

May be true. But, still no strings attached. Basically no responsibility required.

And then there are those "preferably settled abroad" phrases we have to worry about ;)

I don't think that is the case anymore. In fact, people might be fearing that the person may be laid off any soon and no job security in America. Did you give a try in the matrimonial market in chennai to know the current trend? Those "preferably settled abroad" phrases will never come back into this matrimonial market again. Mark my words.

Going back might be a tough option but its not the end of the world. If one is lucky he/she can find jobs that pay pretty good salaries in India. There is always Canada or Singapore if you intend on making money.

True. I know that Indian companies really scrutinize you to find out if you are real good before hiring. Atleast, that's what happened to me in 1996/1997. But, I am going to say 'NO' for any written tests now as I am over experienced for that.
;)

canvrgtitright:

Most of us desis will fall under the skilled worker category, this is the link to applications for this category:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/skilled.html

read this guide, on page 5 you will find how to calculate points:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

Roran

Looking at all the projects moving to offshore at the speed of light - may be going back to India is not an entirely bad idea after all. I assume Mumbay is pretty westernized and in India you can get everything as long as you earn enough. This is not to discourage you in anyway as I am sure you will get the GC soon - just to let you know your plan B is not that bad either.

Gajar

Does your wife know you flirt with female co workers?:D :D :D

abhi:

How do you know that Gajar is married? I have trouble always in finding out whether a person is married unless they explicitly say that!!
Originally posted by abhi_01201
Gajar

Does your wife know you flirt with female co workers?:D :D :D [/B]
:)

abhi_01201:

Does your wife know you flirt with female co workers?

Yes, she does. She is fine with it so long as I do not cross the Lakshman Rekha . :p

I assume Mumbay is pretty westernized and in India you can get everything as long as you earn enough.

This is true. BUT, after living in the US for 5-6 years, you will be disappointed when you go back to India, even if you earn a good salary there. Quality of life cannot be bought by money alone. I would rather earn less and live in a country like Canada. But again, no place is perfect and you choose a place that gives you most of what you are looking for.

Also remember that if all you are taking to Indian cos are your programming skills, then that is not enough - they have great programmers in India already. A better thing to do is to learn how to manage offshore projects - I am lucky that my employer has given me the opportunity to do so here. It has been a very interesting experience and if enough persons are interested, I will post what I have learnt so far.

Last edited by a moderator: