• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

When to file 260 to delay interview.

Golden Beck

Hi guys. Lets share some tips & tricks.

My case number is AS000055xx.
When should I submit my Ds-260 in order to get a visa interview in April or May 2015.
(Reason for this is, I can not travel to US before October, 2015 - job contract issues. For example, if I get a Visa in February, I have to travel within 6 months, which is August - not suitable for me).
So, here is my estimation: If I submit my DS-260 on January 1st. It will take minimum 4-8 weeks to get fully processed. Lets say it gets processed Feb 15th. I heard it takes 2 months for them to schedule the interview after they process DS-260. Thus, I hope the interview will be in April at the earliest (if my case gets CURRENT in March.
If it does not get current in March, but in April or May - does it make my case risky such that no more visas are available?
Do you guys have any advice or suggestions about my estimation?

I looked at the last few years Visa Bullettin, AS000055xx becomes CURRENT in between March-May. I don't know whether we should expect the same this year.

Thank you

What about this trick :
Send your ds260 now, and once you get you visa, you just need to travel to usa for a day, activate your GC, and come back home for a year, to finish up all your duties....

I've edited the thread title because your post is just a simple question - the whole forum is tips and tricks!

I would suggest sending your 260 in around early February. Assuming your number is already current, that means they would schedule you during the March interview scheduling which will be for May interviews. Even a June interview will be fine and you will not be introducing risk about missing out on visas with that timing.

Thank you guys.
I could in fact file my 260 now and get the visa early(if thats gonna happen) and travel to US before October, activate my GC and come back. But, my job contract ends in October anyways and I actually planned to go to US afterwards with my B1/B2 Visa, hence, I don't want to travel to US twice with my family. So I am trying to match my travels to US so that I just travel once on October. Plus, I don't think they like when you get in to US and get out etc.

@Britsimon,
so If I send my 260 on January 1st, they would schedule me for April during the February interview scheduling? (Assuming my number is current in February).
What if I submit my 260 on January 1st but my number gets current in May, does that mean my interview will be scheduled to July or May?

Basically, is it correct to understand: Numbers get CURRENT one month before. Lets say February numbers are announced on January 10th. KCC will schedule the processed February number interviews to April?

sorry for the silly question.

thank you

Thank you guys.
I could in fact file my 260 now and get the visa early(if thats gonna happen) and travel to US before October, activate my GC and come back. But, my job contract ends in October anyways and I actually planned to go to US afterwards with my B1/B2 Visa, hence, I don't want to travel to US twice with my family. So I am trying to match my travels to US so that I just travel once on October. Plus, I don't think they like when you get in to US and get out etc.

@Britsimon,
so If I send my 260 on January 1st, they would schedule me for April during the February interview scheduling? (Assuming my number is current in February).
What if I submit my 260 on January 1st but my number gets current in May, does that mean my interview will be scheduled to July or May?

Basically, is it correct to understand: Numbers get CURRENT one month before. Lets say February numbers are announced on January 10th. KCC will schedule the processed February number interviews to April?

sorry for the silly question.

thank you

The way it works is this.

Until DV2015 DV applicants filled out paper based forms rather than the DS260. With paper based forms we were used to KCC taking around 4 to 6 weeks to complete processing on the case. TRhey will only schedule "processed" cases. Under DS260 we don't know exactly how long that takes now, but lets assume 4 weeks. They rarely implement a new system and make things take longer!

OK o about the VB. The VBs are released about 3 weeks earlier than the month they are named as and give advance warning of numbers a month later than that. So, around early to mid February they will release the March VB that covers April current numbers (and restates March dates). So if you are current within those April numbers you expect to interview in that month (April).

The scheduling of processed cases happens immediately after the VB is published online. which is about middle of the month.

So my suggestion was to enter the forms early February. They would be completed by early March ready for the April VB which will be released around March 8 to 12. That means you would get a May interview.

Thank you very much @Britsimon.
I think I understand now.
I called KCC today and they said it takes 4-8 weeks to process 260. Probably they are being safe.

I am also ok if I get an April interview.
So what I will do is: submit 260 on 1st January, case gets processed in early February(hopefully). I will interview in April (if current in March or April), I will interview in May (if not current in April but current in May).

Is it true that in average they issue 10% or ~5000 visas each month?

Thanks.

Thank you very much @Britsimon.
I think I understand now.
I called KCC today and they said it takes 4-8 weeks to process 260. Probably they are being safe.

I am also ok if I get an April interview.
So what I will do is: submit 260 on 1st January, case gets processed in early February(hopefully). I will interview in April (if current in March or April), I will interview in May (if not current in April but current in May).

Is it true that in average they issue 10% or ~5000 visas each month?

Thanks.

What if DS260 forms process faster - give it a couple more weeks to be safe. Again, there is NO RISK in visas running out in June or July.

Yes they spread the visa allocations over the whole year it seems to start out slow and builds up pace toward the end of the year (concluding AP cases). So - the first 3 months for example will not produce 15k visas....

Good point. I think I will add few more weeks. thanks again.

Also, I currently have 10 year b1/b2 visa.
Once I take the DV-2015 interview, would they cancel my B1/B2, even if I am denied the DV-2015 immigrant visa?
Did anyone have this kind of experience?

It would be nice for me to keep the b1/b2 if they deny me DV visa.

Good point. I think I will add few more weeks. thanks again.

Also, I currently have 10 year b1/b2 visa.
Once I take the DV-2015 interview, would they cancel my B1/B2, even if I am denied the DV-2015 immigrant visa?
Did anyone have this kind of experience?

It would be nice for me to keep the b1/b2 if they deny me DV visa.

If you were denied you would not have the B1/B2 cancelled (unless you do something silly like immigration fraud). You might be questioned about immigrant intent when you went to renew that B1/B2, but even then it is not a certainty to have problems.

If you were denied you would not have the B1/B2 cancelled (unless you do something silly like immigration fraud). You might be questioned about immigrant intent when you went to renew that B1/B2, but even then it is not a certainty to have problems.
That is very good to know. Appreciated.

Do you think they will make problems for me at the immigration (airport) in case I travel with B1/b2 to USA, after I have submitted my DS-260, but before the interview?

That is very good to know. Appreciated.

Do you think they will make problems for me at the immigration (airport) in case I travel with B1/b2 to USA, after I have submitted my DS-260, but before the interview?

People have done that with no issue. Just make sure you leave though because entering with intent to stay (and adjust status) would be risky/bad/unwise.

Thanks. If I go it would probably be a company trip and I will return.

By the way, do they require ONLY the Principal Applicant (the selectee) to have high school degree when they issue visa (or 2 years experience on the same job within the last 5 years)?.
Or, does this rule apply to all the family members, wife etc?

Because we don't seem to find my wife's high school degree, plus she did not work in one place for 2 years, she has been working here and there.
She went to University but dropped out at the last minute.

Thanks. If I go it would probably be a company trip and I will return.

By the way, do they require ONLY the Principal Applicant (the selectee) to have high school degree when they issue visa (or 2 years experience on the same job within the last 5 years)?.
Or, does this rule apply to all the family members, wife etc?

Because we don't seem to find my wife's high school degree, plus she did not work in one place for 2 years, she has been working here and there.
She went to University but dropped out at the last minute.

Only the PA is required to demonstrate they meet the minimum requirement. Unless the PA is cross charging to the spouse's country of birth in which case both the PA and the spouse will need to show they meet the requirement.

Only the PA is required to demonstrate they meet the minimum requirement. Unless the PA is cross charging to the spouse's country of birth in which case both the PA and the spouse will need to show they meet the requirement.
That is a relief. So I will not look for my wife's high school certificate etc.
We have the same country of birth and we are residing in another country where we will be interviewed.

Hi guys. It has been a while since my last post.
My case number is AS000055xx. I have not filed my DS-260 yet, because I did not want to interview before May.
When do you think I can get an interview if I submit DS260 now?
Now I read that there are some backlog and it would take much longer to process my DS-260.
Do you guys have any estimate? I'am worried that process/interview will be delayed until August and September and I will find out no more visas left.

Hi guys. It has been a while since my last post.
My case number is AS000055xx. I have not filed my DS-260 yet, because I did not want to interview before May.
When do you think I can get an interview if I submit DS260 now?
Now I read that there are some backlog and it would take much longer to process my DS-260.
Do you guys have any estimate? I'am worried that process/interview will be delayed until August and September and I will find out no more visas left.

Now would be good - they are just scheduling March so you won't make April and probably not May. Submit now and you should be in June/July.

Now would be good - they are just scheduling March so you won't make April and probably not May. Submit now and you should be in June/July.
Oh that is a relief. Both me and my wife are freaking out that we won't make it for even August interview assuming it took 5 months to process the previous DS260.

I am actually filling the DS 260 now.
I got this question about my previous address. I lived in US for 5 years in the same city but in 4 different addresses. Do you think I should include all?

Oh that is a relief. Both me and my wife are freaking out that we won't make it for even August interview assuming it took 5 months to process the previous DS260.

I am actually filling the DS 260 now.
I got this question about my previous address. I lived in US for 5 years in the same city but in 4 different addresses. Do you think I should include all?

Be as accurate as possible - so yes - include them all.

Ok, thank you. I am still somehow worried. My number will probably become current in May.
Do you think the processing of DS260 will become faster> 2-3 months so that I can get interview in June/July?
Do you think that I still have the risk of being delayed to September by submitting now?
I apologize for the silly questions.

Ok, thank you. I am still somehow worried. My number will probably become current in May.
Do you think the processing of DS260 will become faster> 2-3 months so that I can get interview in June/July?
Do you think that I still have the risk of being delayed to September by submitting now?
I apologize for the silly questions.

I have always though DS260 processing will get faster - but we will know more in a week or two. However - go ahead and submit asap.