when GC issued, do I need to do anything?

AGM6

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

question: I have currently an H1B visa, but applied for GC with I-485.
Once the GC would get issued, is there anything one would have to do?
Is there something like a registration or something?
Or do you simply can use that GC as your passport and let your H1B expire and just travel freely? Any registration at the US embassy at your home country?

AGM6

Hey guys,

Or do you simply can use that GC as your passport and let your H1B expire and just travel freely? Any registration at the US embassy at your home country?

AGM6

GC is used for the purpose of entering and staying in US. You will have to use your country's passport for all other purposes unless you are seeking political asylum.

If you want you may change your SSN card

Hey guys,

AGM6

1Once you get GC then update your employer HR and fill up form I-9
2 Stay with employer for 6 months
3 Go to SSA office with passport, GC fill up form and apply for new SSN card (new SSN card will have no restrictions)
4 H1 becomes automatically invalid once your I-485 gets approved
5 GC is for Entry to USwith GC you stay in and work in US
6 For International travel you need your valid Passport Airline tickets are issued on base of Passport info

3 Go to SSA office with passport, GC fill up form and apply for new SSN card (new SSN card will have no restrictions)

And lose all of that precious credit history? Ouch!
I would think twice about getting a new SSN unless there is a way to tie my old SSN credit record with the new one.

And lose all of that precious credit history?
------ Where did you read that getting new SSN Card without restrictions would ruin credit history? The SSA office sends you new Card without restrictions but the SOCAL SECURITY NUMBER REMAINS THE SAME

Ouch!
I would think twice about getting a new SSN unless there is a way to tie my old SSN credit record with the new one.
------------------------you dont ask NEW SOCAL SECURITY NUMBER you just apply for new SSN CARD that is without restrictions.

-----------------

atmaram,

Yes ginnu is correct, your SSN remain the same - the clause printed on your current SSN "Employment only with valid authorization" will be removed. It will not effect your credit history.

I agree with the above statement.
Your SSN will not change. You should inform your employer as stated above.
Also consult you lawyer, they should be able to also guide you.

Thanks!
Ginnu said: "Once you get GC then update your employer HR and fill up form I-9"

What is HR standing for? What is form I-9? Where do I get it from?
Thanks!
AGM6

Thanks!
I think I understand.

Just to make sure: once you have the GC you can forget about an expiered H1B in your passport; and you can simply travel in and out of the US with your passport and your GC. From what you guys said here I also do not need to go to the embassy in my home country and register or anything like that, right?

My GC application was self-petitioned EB1-EA, not sponsored by employer. Do I still need to fill out form I-9 and update my HR profile?

Thanks!
AGM6