When do you need the tax returns?

emirica

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

At what point in time during the entire CG processing you need to show the tax returns? And for how long back in time? Do you attach the W2 too?

emirica said:
Hi,

At what point in time during the entire CG processing you need to show the tax returns? And for how long back in time? Do you attach the W2 too?

If you are talking about EB category, I-485 is only stage where GC processing becomes specific to employee (before that LC, I-140 is employer's petition). It's good idea to attach the latest tax return (W2 + 1040 + state tax return) alongwith I-485 application. Most of the good lawyers do that. Sometimes in RFE/interview USCIS requests for W2 + tax returns too - especially when applicants do not attach them applications or adjucators want to checkout the current income again. Most of the time in RFE, they request for last three years tax return.

RE : When do you need the tax returns?

It's a good thing to keep all tax returns .
To be specific u do need all documents from the date u'r labor is filed.
Hope u got it.

cheers.

pralay said:
If you are talking about EB category, I-485 is only stage where GC processing becomes specific to employee (before that LC, I-140 is employer's petition). It's good idea to attach the latest tax return (W2 + 1040 + state tax return) alongwith I-485 application. Most of the good lawyers do that. Sometimes in RFE/interview USCIS requests for W2 + tax returns too - especially when applicants do not attach them applications or adjucators want to checkout the current income again. Most of the time in RFE, they request for last three years tax return.

Thank you.

During our move, I lost the very first taxes I filled (1998, 1999), when I was still a student on F-1. But I think you can ask for copies to IRS, am I right?

emirica said:
Thank you.

During our move, I lost the very first taxes I filled (1998, 1999), when I was still a student on F-1. But I think you can ask for copies to IRS, am I right?

I don't think you ever need 98 and 99 tax returns. Most of the times they request for either latest tax return or last three years tax returns. Even IRS recommands to keep only last four years tax return. Secondly getting copy of complete tax return from IRS is expensive - about $39 per copy (using from using 4506 form). Transcript is free though (form 4506T). As you have 2000-2003 tax returns, I believe you are fine. But does not harm if you get and keep free transcript of earlier years.

Mine too same problem

Guys,
Please give suggestion. I have 2000, 2001, 2003 W2 tax returns. 2004 i will get this year end. Mine case is labour substituted and filed 485 & 140 in june 2003. 140 approved. 485 gave finger prints. I don't have 2002 W2 as i was in bench for first 4 months and went to india and came back in september. got project in december and moved to new company and the new company applied my GC with pre approved labour. Since my GC is nearing completion will that be( 2002 W2 not there) any problem in 485 stage. If so how do i resolve this matter in order to get My GC. please give me suggestions.
Thanks
psomeguy

psomeguy said:
Guys,
Please give suggestion. I have 2000, 2001, 2003 W2 tax returns. 2004 i will get this year end. Mine case is labour substituted and filed 485 & 140 in june 2003. 140 approved. 485 gave finger prints. I don't have 2002 W2 as i was in bench for first 4 months and went to india and came back in september. got project in december and moved to new company and the new company applied my GC with pre approved labour. Since my GC is nearing completion will that be( 2002 W2 not there) any problem in 485 stage. If so how do i resolve this matter in order to get My GC. please give me suggestions.
Thanks
psomeguy

Nowadays USCIs not asking for too many RFEs, but it's totally the depends on adjucators and his/her findings. If adjucator asks for 2002 tax return, you need to talk to a good lawyer. Either way I don't think it will be big issue - as it happened with your ex-employer (not current employer who is sponsoring your GC). Not paying salary is more of employer's issue than employee's.

pralay said:
It's good idea to attach the latest tax return (W2 + 1040 + state tax return) alongwith I-485 application. Most of the good lawyers do that.

Good attorneys send USCIS exactly what they ask for, nothing less and nothing more.

pralay said:
If adjucator asks for 2002 tax return, you need to talk to a good lawyer. Either way I don't think it will be big issue

There are two potential problems with a lack of pay.

First, being unpaid on the bench and in the United States is a violation of H-1B status. If it was less than 180 days, 245k covers the alien so there is no problem.

Second, it might have an adverse affect on ability to pay, but since this does not involve the sponsoring employer, again - no problem.

TheRealCanadian said:
Good attorneys send USCIS exactly what they ask for, nothing less and nothing more.

I wish USCIS was atleast that much reasonable. Good attorney knows not only what USCIS asks with application, but also pontential documents they can ask in future in the form of RFE.

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply guys. I will talk to my Lawyer . Hope USCIS won't ask and RFE's.