Registered Users (C)
Hi,
When will I be eligible to apply for US citizenship? Below are my details:

1 April 2005 - Got Green card
24 April 2005 - Left US to India for 3 months and 15 days
Applied for Re-entry permit
Got approved Re-entry permit with expiry date: Aug 2007, while I was in india
7 Aug 2005 - Arrived US for 2 wks
Re-entry permit was not used. Immigration officer didnot sign/stamp the permit at entry
21 Aug 2005 - Left US to India for 6 months and 4 days
21 Feb 2006 - Arrived US for 2 wks
Re-entry permit was stamped by Immigration officer at entry
04 Mar 2006 - Left US to India for 1 year 1 month 3 days
27 Mar 2007 - Arrived US
Re-entry permit (expiry date: Aug 2007) was stamped by Immigration officer at entry
13 Mar 2009 currently in US since 2007 , travelled to India multiple times but for 3 wks duration at a time.

I have filed US tax returns during the years I was out of US. Also own a residential property since 2000 to till date.

My question is when will I be eligible for citizenship?
26 Mar 2011??

Thanks in advance for your reply
immi_tracker

I am assuming you will be applying for Citizenship based on 5 years???

In that case you will be eligible to apply for Citizenship in March 2012. But you can apply 3 months prior, so I would say you can apply after December 28, 2011.

Since you last broke continuous residency with March 2006 trip, you'd be able to apply under the 4 years +1 day rule, which would mean on/after March 28 2011. Make sure to follow the guideline of including a cover letter with yor application specifying the rule and law if you intent to use it.
However, if you continue a back and forth travel pattern to India as you have it might put your continuous residency intent into question.

Since you last broke continuous residency with March 2006 trip, you'd be able to apply under the 4 years +1 day rule, which would mean on/after March 28 2011..

Hi Bobsmyth,

Is this on the USCIS website, i guess i must have missed it....I didn't know about this rule...

You can try to apply in FEB 2010, regardless of your travelling. I had 2 long trips and got approved. It depends on the IO if he/she wants to approve you.

You can try to apply in FEB 2010, regardless of your travelling. I had 2 long trips and got approved. It depends on the IO if he/she wants to approve you.

Except the OP may actually be honest whereas your actions detailed in your other thread clearly show that that's not an adjective that could reasonably be applied to you.

Except the OP may actually be honest whereas your actions detailed in your other thread clearly show that that's not an adjective that could reasonably be applied to you.

I don't know about "reasonably" but certainly it does apply to me. I encourage "immi_tracker" to read my post.

You can try to apply in FEB 2010, regardless of your travelling. I had 2 long trips and got approved.
You keep conveniently forgetting to mention that you did not list your 2 long trips on the N-400 and you didn't provide an updated list at the interview that included those 2 trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep conveniently forgetting to mention that you did not list your 2 long trips on the N-400 and you didn't provide an updated list of trips at the interview.

That is correct, there is no way to list future trips on N-400. The IO did not ask me anything about travelling, I had my travel documents in front of his eyes.

That is correct, there is no way to list future trips on N-400. The IO did not ask me anything about travelling, I had my travel documents in front of his eyes.

Hmmmm, so true, but when you get the oath document they do ask, so how did you answer that?

It could very well be that IO saw your trips on travel documents (or via CBP databse) and concluded that your long trips did not presume break in continuous residency since you studied at a US University overseas. If that's the case, then you have nothing to worry about.

HI Bobsmyth,
Nice to see you are evaluating This case positively.
I am sure when he /she came to this forum , he or she wanted to discuss the problem and asking for the opinion or the the solution.
I think all were surprised to see his approval and instead of congratulating the applicant with caution all started........
ANY way life is like that.

Hmmmm, so true, but when you get the oath document they do ask, so how did you answer that?

Good point you brought, I checked "yes" on the oath document referring to the travelling, she saw it, checked it with a "V", then asked me where have I travelled to and wrote a huge "OK" on my paper.

I belive once you pass the test, that is it! (unless you comit a crime or been arrested) the oath is just a formality then to get your certificate.