What will happen if a naturalized US citizen becomes a naturalized citizen of Sweden?

Debbie_S

What will happen if a recently-naturalized(since 1/2007)
US citizen becomes a naturalized citizen of Sweden in 09/2007?

(within the same calendar year)

Will the US take away the US citizenship?

Thank!

No. You can be a dual citizen but you can only enter the US with a US passport unless you give up the US citizenship. The US does not stamp departures generally.

Is this really true? My understanding is that the US allows dual citizenship only if the "other" is a right by birth. However, proactively seeking and obtaining citizenship of another country while already a US citizen (either by birth or naturalization) could jeopardize your US citizenship. I believe that serious legal counsel or research is advisable in this case.

Yes, I concur with Flydog. The important thing is "intent" to give up U.S. citizenship. If you didn't have the intent to give up U.S. citizenship when you took the new citizenship then it should be alright to maintain U.S. citizenship and the new citizenship. Long sentence, I hope it is clear. Some countries really try to make sure you give up your previous citizenship and prove it, this could be problematic because then you would have to go through the official motions of giving up U.S. citizenship. Even in this case I don't know if it could be arranged to "give up" the citizenship without really giving it up. I am just hypothesizing that if you can show you had to give up the U.S. citizenship unwillingly you could get it back. I am not sure if such a case is mentioned in the aforementioned webpage or if I read something similar in the State Department website.

Bottom line, intent to abandon U.S. citizenship is the pivotal element.

PS: I find it funny how this person could get both citizenships so close to each other. I would assume that some of the residence dates had to overlap.

Note also the following extract from this State Department site which supports Huracan's opinion.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html#

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship.

However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

I didn't notice the dates on my first read of your email. By getting "yet another citizenship" eight months after your US citizenship, it might be possible for them to show that you were not altogether up front about your "attachment to the constitution" during the application and examination process and that your intent was not all that it should be.

The courts have used the 14th Amendment to create a justifiably high bar for the the government if they want to remove someone's citizenship. However, changing your mind after 8 months seems like it might raise some flags.

Well, if she gains this Sweden citizenship via marrying a Sweden citizen, it should be an acceptable case...Just my own opinion....

Sweden's parliment approved dual citizenship for its citizens on February 21st 2001 with effect from July 1st, 2001.