What to do if we suspect N-445 (oath letter) lost in mail?

derekleewo

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I both applied for citizenship at the same time back in June. Up until now, everything we did has been on the same day. The receipt notice, the fingerprints and the interview, which we both passed. We even had the same lady interviewing us and she mentioned that it was great we're doing it together as we would get to take the oath together.

Well, on Wednesday, I got the notice for my oath ceremony next week Thursday. My wife didn't get hers. We're hoping it still comes by this weekend, but because of the short notice, we're worried.

We wouldn't be as worried if our mail delivery was reliable, but we have had instances where mail got "delayed" in the system and we got it weeks later. We live in a new development so we don't know if that has an impact.

Of course, it's possible her oath ceremony will be a different date, but we're wondering if there is anything we can do if we suspect her notice got lost or delayed in the mail? She tried calling the toll-free number on the USCIS website and she got a live person, but they couldn't help her. She gave her the fax number for our local service center.

If her notice did get delayed or lost, what would happen if she went to the ceremony with me. Would she be able to explain her case and still take the oath, assuming she was really scheduled for the same day and time? I would imagine they would have records there to confirm she was scheduled to take the oath.

Hash anyone ever had to deal with a lost N-445 in the mail, or with any other important notice?

Well, my wife didn't get her notice today. Right now, we don't know what to do. While it's possible her oath date is different, not knowing has her worried about missing her oath if she was in fact scheduled for the same day as me.

Well, my wife didn't get her notice today. Right now, we don't know what to do. While it's possible her oath date is different, not knowing has her worried about missing her oath if she was in fact scheduled for the same day as me.

Did you try calling USCIS?

Probably your best choice is either call or schedule an Infopass to find out. If you take an Infopass there is a chance they could print out another oath letter for you in case the original one was lost. I am not talking from experience, just from wishful thinking.

My 2 cents.

Unless your case is more than 180 days old, you would be wasting your time calling the 800 number. If you are really worried, the best thing to do is take an Infopass appointment.

Thanks everyone. We had tried the USCIS number, but got no info.

We tried yesterday to get an Infopass appt, but the earliest available was Nov 1st which would have been too late.

By chance, we checked for an appt this morning and lo and behold, my wife was able to get one for tomorrow morning. I guess someone must have canceled an appt.

She's feeling much better now as she'll at least be able to talk to someone to find out if her oath ceremony is also on Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife saw an IO today and it turns out her oath has not in fact been scheduled as yet.

When she asked how come hers is taking longer than mine, all she was told was that I was the "primary applicant" and so mine was done faster.

I plan to do some searching to find out what the implication of not being the "primary applicant" means, but if anyone can shed some light, it would helpful.

My wife saw an IO today and it turns out her oath has not in fact been scheduled as yet.

When she asked how come hers is taking longer than mine, all she was told was that I was the "primary applicant" and so mine was done faster.

I plan to do some searching to find out what the implication of not being the "primary applicant" means, but if anyone can shed some light, it would helpful.

I honestly have never heard of such a thing as a "primary applicant" when things have to do with N-400. An I-485, yes, but N-400, no. I think she got an officer that did not know what he/she was talking about. If she had not been scheduled, I would not worry. It should not be long before she is scheduled at this point.

Ding ding... The bovine excreta meter just hit 10.5 on the BS scale! :mad:

Never heard of such a thing. N-400 are individual applications unless you specifically requested group processing, and under those circumstances, all applicants move through the process in lock-step.

Well what answer the IO gave you was irrelevant, and your finding out the "answer" is further waste of your own time. They will schedule it based on their time line. Each case is different and takes its own time. You can however delay your case if you want to naturalize with her.