What needs to happen if passport with stamp expires?

howlongmore

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My wife has not received her physical card yet.

Her passport is expiring in about 15 months time and we plan to get her a new one either at her home country, or at a consulate. I suppose depending on what the steps needed to take with USCIS, we need to decide to do it outside of US, or inside the US.

1. Her passport has 15 months to go. Her I-551 has 9 months more to go.

2. If she needs to restamp her I-551 on her old passport in 9 months time,
will USCIS stamp for another 12 months? Or just 6 months (15 minus 9)
for the validity of her passport?

3. Can we come in the US with 2 passports: one with the I-551 stamp,
and a new one that doesn't?

Thanks.

howlongmore said:
Hello,

My wife has not received her physical card yet.

Her passport is expiring in about 15 months time and we plan to get her a new one either at her home country, or at a consulate. I suppose depending on what the steps needed to take with USCIS, we need to decide to do it outside of US, or inside the US.

1. Her passport has 15 months to go. Her I-551 has 9 months more to go.
-----one can get new I-551 stamp before expiry present stamp in new passport or current valid passport
2. If she needs to restamp her I-551 on her old passport in 9 months time,
will USCIS stamp for another 12 months? Or just 6 months (15 minus 9)
for the validity of her passport?
----6 months, they will not stamp more than the validity of passport

3. Can we come in the US with 2 passports: one with the I-551 stamp,
and a new one that doesn't?
----- YES, keep both the passport attached one stamp need to be vaild on date of entry to US
** she may get her Green Card early or fill up Form G-731 if it is more than 60 days after the stamp
Thanks.

Apply NEW indian PP, you can apply 12 month in advance. Go to USCIS and get a new 551 stamp on New PP.

Take my advice, apply here, its pain to apply for pp in india.

If case was transferred to local office and approval and stamping done at local office where does one inquire about the card if not received within 60-90 days??

If I'm correct form G 731 is not for local offices.

bhoonbhu said:
If case was transferred to local office and approval and stamping done at local office where does one inquire about the card if not received within 60-90 days??
------- Send G731 to your service center from where file was transfred to Local office. After Interview they send the white form with your fingerprint and signature to Service center and then service center send to Card production unit
If I'm correct form G 731 is not for local offices.
---- you are correct and every service center has diffrent G-731, download from USCIS site related to your service center

canada_or_usa said:
Apply NEW indian PP, you can apply 12 month in advance. Go to USCIS and get a new 551 stamp on New PP.

Take my advice, apply here, its pain to apply for pp in india.
I got new PP from indian embassy in San Francisco in 2 weeks.

if you need a passport right away you can call the local indian consulate and they can issue you a provisional one.

I was not aware that they can just give you another stamp.

I think you can before the stamp expires

Don't spread false information!

I'm very curious where you got your informations from. You are spreading inaccurate information which can't be backed up by anything in the law.!

The passport validity has no bearing at all on the validity of the I-551 stamp (ADIT stamp) on the passport!

You can have an expired passport but as long as the I-551 stamp on the passport is still valid, you can re-enter the US with it as an LPR. In that case the passport just serves as an identity document and it is not absolutely necessary, except for the fact that it just happened to be where the ADIT stamp was affixed to!