What is the criteria to maintaining the GC (in/out within 24hrs) every 6 months?

tomtom321

What is the criteria to maintaining the GC. I am planning to travel in/out US by driving to the boarder. Is there a day/24hr limit that you need to be in US physically before leaving, so that 6 month criteria is reset very time you enter the US and leave. I am planning to enter US and then turn around and leave. Planning to do this every 6 months. Any advice?

What is the criteria to maintaining the GC. I am planning to travel in/out US by driving to the boarder. Is there a day/24hr limit that you need to be in US physically before leaving, so that 6 month criteria is reset very time you enter the US and leave. I am planning to enter US and then turn around and leave. Planning to do this every 6 months. Any advice?
Your understanding of the requirement is simplistic. Are you planning to do this indefinitely (as opposed to, say, just for a year while you sort out a final move?) You can probably do what you say once…the second time you might get quizzed… the third time you’ll likely get a warning or worse. Note the following :

If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home.

clearly, swinging by for a day (or a week, or a month) when most of your time is spent living somewhere else doesn’t sound like establishing your permanent home in the US.

Every seix months indefinitely? It's very risky. It could work and you could be fine, but you could also be sent to see an immigration judge after a couple of times doing this. BTW you should try to stay AT LEAST for 24 hours but that's still not great. If you need to do this get a re-entry permit until you decide whether you want to move back and live in the US permanently.