What impact is there if you move?

steffi

Registered Users (C)
So I've already been given an interview date but I liked to consider the possibility of relocating to a different state and I'd like to know the impact on the case once an interview date has been set.

What delay is to be expected if moving prior to interview date?

I would say don't move before your interview. Changing address can cause delay in scheduling your new interview. You are so close to finishline. Just get over with.

Do you know if after the interview and while waiting for the Security clearance is a safe time to move? Does the new place (processing center) will reschedule another "first" interview?

Help.

From my own experience (notice this was only MY experience), moving made getting the work permit longer because the DO I originated my case at LOST my I485 documentation. Needless to say, It took me a couple of visits to the new DO to really understand what was going on, so, the estimated 90 days for me turned into about 180 days, check my time line. Other than that, my GC took longer because of name check.

Garrulito,

Thanks. Do you have to go through the whole thing again with the interview and such? I am already 8 months after the interview. I got my EAD 3 months after summited all the petitions. My interview came surprisingly early. About 2 months after the filing (3 months after marriage) and by the end of the interview that lasted 10 minutes, they said it was done but have to wait for the Background check. Since then I have moved to WA in hope that I can find a good job and a home then my wife will move. But days turn to months and she is there all alone and I am here worrying sick. That is not too good of a picture for USCIS living apart for so long waiting for this freaking Background check, name check or whatever they call it.

If any one have the same situation from Honolulu, please respond

Thanks

I moved right after my AOS interview from Boston to Chicago. I was not approved at my interview since my A-file never made it to Boston in time.
I supplied Boston with my new Chicago address. My approval notice from Boston made it to my new Chicago address after 90 days or so.

Do you know if after the interview and while waiting for the Security clearance is a safe time to move? Does the new place (processing center) will reschedule another "first" interview?

Help.

Thanks Triple C. I was told that I have to do the initial interview again once I move. How true is that? You seems to not have to do it.

We're moving to another city for my job a week after my interview. Would you (triplec, anyone) recommend to:
a) tell them at the interview to change their record and send notices to new address
b) not tell and let USPS redirect my mail then change address within 10 days of move
c) not tell at interview and change online before we move
d) other... please specify
Either way, USPS will redirect mail (which I've had good success with). I guess the real question is how quickly is my file changed in the system in order to send notices. Cheers!

Sorry, that wasn't the question. I understand the 10 day rule and have abided by it every year for 6 years now. The question is, for the approval notice/GC (should it be granted), will my new address be updated soon enough to be sent directly or will it possibly get lost at my old address?