What if one loses his green card after boarding a US-bound plane?

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
If one loses GC before boarding, one need to go to a US consulate to get
some sort of entry permit. But what if one loses GC after boarding the
plane? Can he simply settle that with border checkpoint?

AmericanWannabe said:

americanwannabe

if you are not on a US-bound plane right now i suggest you go to see a psychiatrist about your "losing green card phobia"

AmericanWannabe said:

if you lose both your passport and green card on the plane, then you will have to live in the airport like Tom Hanks in the movie "terminal" :D :D :D

AmericanWannabe said:

The BCBP can grant entry after verification on the ground that "the person is eligible for entry." However, it's upto BCBP to determine that and there no surety that the person will be granted entry. BCBP can put you back on return flight. In that case, you need to go to nearest consulate and obtain a travel document.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I had a dream that i boarded the plane and thought i lost my green card, does that count? What should I do? What if I woke up and found my green card in my pocket? what does my dream mean then? what if this question is just part of my dream? looking for only serious answers please as this scenario could happen.

AW.....I have to salute you man. You've been coming out with all these 'innovative' scenarios. I guess, one of these days..you shud make use of your GC and find a permanent job somewhere where you can utilize your time more productively. However I do give you credit for some of the really good scenarios.
Well...If you lose your GC while pooping in a plane, you are not at a total loss. The card will still remain in the poop tank of the plane. :p You know what to do then once you land at the airport. Don't you....

Just to be safe, do you think I could stick the green card up my butt? That way I wouldn't lose it, unless of course I poop on the plane. Would the green card still be green? How should I go about showing my GC at Immigration? Should we get one of those guys with the rubber gloves and a flashlight to come over and validate my GC?

real case

yes it could really happen. It happened to relative of mine. He lost his Greencard due to his own carelessness ( misplaced it and could not find it ) .
he was sent for secondary inspection at JFK. He had an expired 551 stamp on his passport. After a long wait ( 4 hours) they were able to confirm his eligibility to enter. it also helped that his GC had been examined and swiped to confirm it at bangalore airport before he boarded and his A number was on the manifest transmitted by Lufthansa to TSA.

This happened in late 04(I think november)

Funny U should ask.

This a recent real life experience of my friend.

The fella had his GC (and that's the reason he was able to board the plane). Once settling in his seat, he realized he misplace the GC between then and the immigration point.

So he asked the flight attendant to off-load him and they did. The airline people took him to immigration to get him out of the secured area. He went to the consulate that morning and they gave him the form and asked him to get a police report. So he went back to Andheri and got the police report from Sahar police station and went back to consulate again (next day). He got is travel docuemnt that evening and then boarded the plane to US.

alren said:
Funny U should ask.

This a recent real life experience of my friend.

The fella had his GC (and that's the reason he was able to board the plane). Once settling in his seat, he realized he misplace the GC between then and the immigration point.

So he asked the flight attendant to off-load him and they did. The airline people took him to immigration to get him out of the secured area. He went to the consulate that morning and they gave him the form and asked him to get a police report. So he went back to Andheri and got the police report from Sahar police station and went back to consulate again (next day). He got is travel docuemnt that evening and then boarded the plane to US.

Your friend is not so smart as Schandrag's relative :)

If someone managed to lose the GC in the confined space of the airplane - this person should be stripped of the permanent resident status and immediately deported. Just for preserving the nation's gene pool from idiocy pollutuion.

Looks like several people in this forum think its quite funny to lose a greencard. I guess it won't be too funny if it really happens to you, and it just could possibly happen to anyone.

As matter of fact, Everybody is learning new, very innovative way to loose GC. :D

What about you boarded plane, you had GC, every hour you checked wallet, GC was their, You are about to land, (amazingly) GC is not lost yet!!! You went to custom, checked wallet, (Very surprised) GC is not lost yet!!! But the moment POE officer asked, GC was untracable!!!! What should we do now??? Any ideas?? Any real experiences?? If YES, then Enlighten all members "How To Loose GC in most amazing Way"

Last edited by a moderator:
Americanwannabe,

That I can vouch for it ... ;)

But I guess, that's the decesion he had to take (and he took) in actual situation.

schandrag - did your relative lose it after the plane was all closed?

xyz2375 said:
Looks like several people in this forum think its quite funny to lose a greencard. I guess it won't be too funny if it really happens to you, and it just could possibly happen to anyone.

anything can happen to anyone. but that doesn't mean that we have to sit there imagining what might go wrong, what could go wrong, and then discuss it everyday. after we resolve one we then move on the next "what if" ...