What if one loses his green card after boarding a US-bound plane?

1. I agree that we have overblown this. This is a rare occurence, usually due to carelessness of the individual. It causes hassles and delays, but eventually you will be allowed in.

2. Yeppo, I do not know your country of citizenship. I can speak for myself, I am a citizen of India and I don't feel that losing the GC or perm resident status is the end of the world. In fact I am loathe to lose my Indian Citizenship , apply for us citizenship and be content with some second class Overseas Citizen status, because I believe that in my lifetime India will be world power. However, there are many who have obtained their GC due to genuine refugee status, and others, who cannot return to their home countyr because of political strife/ extreme poverty/ lawlessness/ total lack of oppurtunites/ religous oppression/persectuion etc, and for a person like that losing GC/permanent resident statue is a frightening prospect.

The whole thing can be termed(including issue it self)--'MUCH ADO ABOUT A MINISCULE OCCURENCE
AND PROBABLY 0.0000000001% OCCURENCE'.and already discussed to more than it's fair share.
How about other issues of 1 to 99.999999999%.which will help people?
Thanks.

It is funny when JoeF insist we should carry the card, many excuse
themselves by saying they are afraid they will lose the card. But when
the topic is about losing the card, then same people will
dismiss that as next-to-impossible event.

AmericanWannabe said:
It is funny when JoeF insist we should carry the card, many excuse
themselves by saying they are afraid they will lose the card. But when
the topic is about losing the card, then same people will
dismiss that as next-to-impossible event.

You are not talking about loosing GC in general. You said loosing GC on plane, (after boarding but just before POE :D :D )and something like that. Thats totally bizzare and something like that happened , I agree with suggestions by karaya/verysilly and others. :D :D

I remember (vaguley)--recently some body has conducted poll on how many carries the green card in person.It seems 50% on either side.
Coming back to the question .
If some body carries the GC with him--
there are trillion ways one may loose his GC.(Once he takes it outside of safe locker/place )
1) While goin from safe locker to his door.
2)Form door to his car.
3)While opening the door (taking out his keys it may fall off).
4)in the car.
5)in the bath.
6)in the ofice.

Millionth)in the park.
M+1)In the PLANE after boarding.(this is only one item out of all probabilities
and hence...miniscule)
and so on.
So while one may think about taking a green card along with him always
and at ALL TIMES before he takes a deicision of his own.
And that is why people may be are apprehensive( to carry green card along with him.)and is a pertinent concern in broader sense(because million ways).
(The above may not reflect my own perosnal opinion/decision of carrying green card,of course).

schandrag,

I am an Indian and proud of it too. Exact same reasons as you for not taking up citizenship. That is where my heart is and the action is going to be. But if I want to pay for my apartment in Blore it would take me 10-15 years in India and with the money I make here it will be done (hopefully) in a couple or three. No other reasons for getting the GC liberty, freedom etc. We have enough and more of that back home. It is just the moolah !!! Citizenship - Thanks but no thanks !!!

Yeppo

now that we have had absolute useless discussion / contribution on this topic ... i wonder what would any one do to save his American passport (from getting lost ... in plane / train / car / tramp / horse riding / donkey riding ... other million ways) ... once he becomes Citizen ...

We have a choice to make ... to continue with another fruitless round of discussion on ways to save American passport ... OR ... let go and engage our grey cells in activities that will enhance our weath till the time we dont lose our senses again over such topics ... I chose to 'Let Go' ...

cheers

Yes, definitely it's possible to loose green card in flight or in a transit. Just like loosing passport, loosing green card is also not uncommon (and green card is smaller size) - especially those who travel on long routes going thru multiple transits. In many transits they check passport, green cards just before boarding on flight. Probability of loosing green card/passport increases everytime, when you need to take your passport + green card out from bag/pocket or then put them back again - especially if you are traveling with infants/children (needless to mention that when you have children you have too many bags too - for long journey). Most of the people are very careful to put their passport + GC back to a safe place (bag or pocket) after showing them. But in certain situation, things can go wrong.

qwertyisback said:
You are not talking about loosing GC in general. You said loosing GC on plane, (after boarding but just before POE :D :D )and something like that. Thats totally bizzare and something like that happened , I agree with suggestions by karaya/verysilly and others. :D :D

Because this kind of loosing has not been covered by pass discussion while other two kinds of losing are already
discussed. If you lose GC in the USA, you file for a replacement, unless you lose the card one day before
your planned trip, it is not a big deal. If you lose the card
outside USA but not after boarding a plane, we also already know you shoudl go to a consulate. But no one
ever know what to do if one lose the card on a plane
toward the USA. You have two choices--ask the plane to turn around or just proceed to the USA immigration.

If the events with small probability should not discussed,
then we should not discuss about potential draft of PRs into
the military either