What health conditions make you ineligible for green card (family based) ?

dr_rks

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering about medical conditions which will make a person in admissible to US based on health grounds.

My father is 69, previously healthy, came here on visitor visa. He developed a thyroid nodule, which is being investigated right now.
If I file concurrently for him, will that be a problem ?

Only contagious diseases would make someone inadmissible on health grounds. So it depends on what the cause of that thyroid problem is.

Jackolantern,
Thanks a lot for quick reply, as always.

It is not contagious condition for sure. Most likely a cancer but we will know after some tests. There was one more clause when I was reading instructions for I-693 for civil surgeon, which said individual who may become public burden may be denied. My father will be sponsored by me so he will not be public burden. Any thoughts ?

There was one more clause when I was reading instructions for I-693 for civil surgeon, which said individual who may become public burden may be denied.
That would be denial for public charge grounds. I've never heard of that happening for a health condition where the health condition did not actually make the individual dependent on the government.

However, at your father's age it will be either impossible or ultra-expensive for him to obtain insurance in the US. So it can be a very bad idea financially for unhealthy parents to immigrate. Be prepared for a $100,000 bill if his condition turns out to be serious, unless you plan to send him back to the home country for treatment.

Cancer is very likely to make an elderly, uninsured individual dependent on government assistance. Unless you make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, you cannot afford cancer treatment. I know from personal experience over 5 years ago that nursing home care for an elderly person with cancer exceeded $12,000 per month - and that did not include doctor visits and charges or hospital charges for radiation..

Cancer is very likely to make an elderly, uninsured individual dependent on government assistance.

They wouldn't be inadmissible on public charge grounds if they have already completed the treatment without government assistance (in this case, by sending his father back to the home country where the treatment is much cheaper).

@jackolantern...
so u are saying that if i go at the medical saying that i finished all the therapy this year in my home country and that i need just to do just some check up (wich i can do for free in my home country) at the interview for the DV lottery they won't deny my greencard?
Do u know anyone who acutally got the green card in this situation? thanks for your reply...i am in a panic mode...

Stop panicking. If the disease you had is not contagious and you've already completed the treatment, they're not going to deny your green card for it.

Certainly do not panic. I suggest that you speak with an immigration attorney to make sure you have all documentation that might be needed to address any questions a previous serious health issue might bring up. You will need to be sure to have copies of your medical records for your new doctor in the US.

Since you are applying under the DV lottery, you are likely relatively young and will be working in the US once you get here. It is important that you look for employment with organizations that offer health insurance to employees and take it at the earliest opportunity. This may result in you accepting a lower base wage than otherwise but will be worth it in the long run. "Group" plans offered by employers do not have the same limitations that apply to "individual" plans. You may have a short term exclusion of coverage but will not be denied coverage due to your health.

Thank you so so much!
yes am 30 years old, i don't have a lot of cash bcs i own a house that i had to pay..but i will sell for very good money once i get the green card (i will get good Euros)...Sorry i was in panic...because i didn't want them to think i might become a pubblic charge. i did finished treatment...but with cancer u can only say that u made it only after 5 years and as i said i finished treatment just recently...that's why i was in panic, but if u guys says that it's ok i believe it!

Thks also for the tips on the health insurance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been through cancer recently, in most states it will be impossible for you to get an individual health insurance policy (the new health care bill disallows rejection for preexisting conditions, but that provision doesn't kick in for another 2 or 3 years, and it may get repealed before then). So finding a job that offers health insurance is of prime importance.

Thanks Jackolantern! As i said i can fly home twice a year and do all the check up for free. i am focused in finding the best solution for the health insurance...i know is very important. But my panic is all for the medicals...i don't know if i should just keep quite...