What happened in my interview :-)

Raziel

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone

Thanks for your support in my older thread http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=289552

Now... let me tell you about what happened

Of course I went to Chicago and made the interview there early in the morning... I wasn't able to sleep the night before it :confused: thinking all the time... praying and hoping that things goes well ;)

before the interview I went to the bathroom and did #1 and #2 because I expected to be so nervous there and might do it in my pants.... that would be embarrassing specially in front the officer :D

I entered the building and the security man asked me in a very rude manner "even didn't answer my greetings to him" to sign in my name in the log book, I thought "good, the security man is rude so what about the others? They might kick me out!!"

I went up in the elevator and I saw another security guy... he searched me and was nice "unlike the one downstairs" I got inside and they were all very nice :D... "Thank God"

They took my fingerprint and a picture and I waited... my lawyer came after that the officer came and I saw his face...he had the face of an angel... big wide smile and I felt relaxed but still afraid a little.

We went all together inside. He opened my case and said a small introduction that I shouldn't hesitate and everything will be confidential, I made an oath too, he said that I should come after a week to pick up the decision then he began, he asked me about my name... my birthday "I was going to forget it because I was so nervous"

I really felt... "I'm sure" ... he didn't read my case at all "I have been told that this is normal"

Then he said "were you threatened? And who threatened you?"

I answered briefly.... now here is the surprise... all this took us 20 minutes

He said "That's it... Thank you"

I was expecting a lot more...

Me and the lawyer left the room into the elevator.... I looked at the lawyer and he looked at me "our mouths are widely opened" :eek::eek:

I said "What happened?"... The lawyer said "I think this went well"

I thought with myself "there is nothing to go well.... nothing to go at all" !!!

Now... I think all the time... was he convinced that I'm eligible? or he thought that there is no need to ask me more... I don't know

I'm still shocked... I will be updating you guys with the result after a week...

any comments? expectations? questions? go ahead

Good that it's over :)

20 minute is a lil short. Mine took 45 minute(with +ve outcome). Also just a week for picking the decision doesn't seem normal. The law says 14 days.

I have these scenario for you, in their order.

1. The officer was already convinced from your written case and supporting docs, and whatever you told him in the first 15 minute made sense and is consistent with the written one. So your case is approved.

2. The officer didn't bother to ask you a lot since he hasn't' read ur written application at all and thought he will dig into it later. So he just took some basic but core information during the interview. A week will tell the outcome. Most likely(95%) positive decision.

3. Unfortunately, he thinks your case doesn't make sense at all and didn't bother to interview you at all. Hmm, your case went to IJ.

My conclusion?

Taking in to account the officer's friendliness, and the fact that officers usually don't read cases before interview, I am with scenario number 2.

Good luck!

I agree with you that "Good it's over" :)
and to be precise about the decision it is exactly 8 days ... interview 10 Dec.... pick up date 18 Dec at 9 am ... he gave me an appointment before we begin the interview.

Thank you a lot for your smart conclusions.
the first one is excluded since I'm sure he didn't read a word of my application.

I agree with you that it could be No. 2 but..... my case has its complications and should be discussed between me and the officer so that to solve these complications... he might refer me to IJ if he mistranslated "misunderstood" these complications... I beleive I have a good case but.....

Thank you kkebero;)

Sorry for the absence... my lawyer got a phone call indicating that I don't have to go to pick up the decision... they will mail it... I received the "Recommended Approval" today :)

Now I must wait for the name check... hope it will not take so long.... some said it might take 6 months !!! :eek:

Great gift from USCIS for the new year :cool:

Xmas Gift

Congrats Raziel. I think you should feel a bit relieved now. Now starts the rest of your life.

Sorry for the absence... my lawyer got a phone call indicating that I don't have to go to pick up the decision... they will mail it... I received the "Recommended Approval" today :)

Now I must wait for the name check... hope it will not take so long.... some said it might take 6 months !!! :eek:

Great gift from USCIS for the new year :cool:

Congrats Raziel. In my case it took long time (1999) because decision was sitting on desk even after name check was cleared so I had to called very often (Asylum office and talked to assistant of IO who took my interview) and finally they mailed me the decision.

woow... you are all so kind.... thank you all and happy new year :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hi raziel ,kkebero and all,
from this thread i came to know that
"Taking in to account the officer's friendliness, and the fact that officers usually don't read cases before interview"
kkebero have wrote that.
my question is the AO's usually read the documents when before the interview or after the interview?your reply is appreciable.

well, as I know.. they usually do read the cases before the interview but I guess this didn't happen in my case.

Raziel, I enjoyed reading your story :).

I feel happy for you.

Wish you the best

Congratulation

My interview experience

hi raziel ,kkebero and all,
from this thread i came to know that
"Taking in to account the officer's friendliness, and the fact that officers usually don't read cases before interview"
kkebero have wrote that.
my question is the AO's usually read the documents when before the interview or after the interview?your reply is appreciable.

It seems that in some instances, the officer only gets to read the documents minutes just before the interview (probably because of time constraint). For my case (for which I'm still waiting for a decision to be mailed), I had a very nice (and beautiful) female officer who was so friendly throughout the interview. [She should be in early 30's or even late 20's]

Before she called me into the interview room, she first handed to me a short form that I had to read and sign, and she told me she would come back in a moment. She came back after about 25 minutes, and took me in the interview cubicle. I felt like I had never met such a very friendly person ever in the US! Our interview lasted about two and half hours, mainly because she was typing/transcribing everything that I narrated. [Her typing skills were amazing! Moreover, she had to listen carefully and coordinate her questions]. She seemed so smart! After taking note of my story, she revised it and asked me whether there was any discrepancy due to her mistakes.
We also went through my application, where she asked me every question -- and after that, she said: "so only one thing has changed in your document." I asked her, "what is that?" I feared that I had made contradiction, but to my relief: "now you have a telephone number. before you didn't". And that was right. After the interview, we shook hands... and I thanked her for being nice. She told me her name, and gave me more specific address (to their office section) for me to write to if I had any inquiries. She said the decision would be mailed to me in a month ... but I have now got to learn that she's been away from office (for Officers' training). Nonetheless, her supervisor told me to be patient as she will return this July and adjudicate my case. The supervisor said "she showed concern about your case" before she went for the training.

[Well, I write this not to suggest anything. In fact, at the moment, I'm very depressed -- not knowing whether my case will be approved or denied. I only wanted to share with you my interview experience, especially to point out that some officers are very nice to interviewees]
P.S I did the interview mid-April 09.

Last edited by a moderator:
well... the postman became my friend, i wait him everyday hoping for good news but nothing till now

Thanks for asking