What else after US Passport?

atlanta2008

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I recall there was some info here on things to do for new citizens after getting Citizenship. Passport and registering to vote come to mind, which i have already taken care. What else am i missing that needs to be done?

Thanks

Relax and enjoy? :) You can also go to the Social Security administration and change your status to citizen.

Thanks guys , that was some very useful information.

I want to add 1 other that i read somewhere. You need to report the status change to your employer so that they dont bug you anymore to provide them proof of your status. While i was a GC holder and an EAD holder, my employer used to ask me to verify immigration status with them every year.

While i was a GC holder and an EAD holder, my employer used to ask me to verify immigration status with them every year.
They did that when you were a GC holder? They're not supposed to. It might even be illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
jack..

Asking for proof while on GC may not be illegal because GC is basically a visa to stay and work in US. Like all other VISA it has an expiration date.

Now most of the time GC is valid for 10 to 15 years so asking every year seems overkill.

It would be intresting if some one can dig up a peice of law or legislation regarding this.

Now regarding what to do after getting citizenship. If possible start voluntering in the local schools.. they are now your future too :))

enjoy
vik_b

Asking for proof while on GC may not be illegal because GC is basically a visa to stay and work in US. Like all other VISA it has an expiration date.
Physical green cards expire, but permanent resident status is for life (unless surrendered or explicitly revoked ... which is also true of citizenship, which can be surrendered or revoked but otherwise remains valid for life).

I was referring to asking again every year for permanent residents being possibly illegal, unless the employer chooses to do that for everybody including citizens. After doing the I-9 once they're not supposed to ask again for permanent residents if they're not doing the same for citizens (there are anti-discrimination rules regarding singling out particular types of immigrants or documents).

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not knew the permanent resident status is for life.
Hmmmmm nice piece of information to have.

vik_b

Many banks ask you if you are US Citizen or not when you open an account. I was opening an account just 2 weeks ago and they asked me that question. I wasn't US citizen then (I am now). So I'll be headding out to my bank to ask them to change this as well.

It would be intresting if some one can dig up a peice of law or legislation regarding this.

It is discriminatory for an employer to specify which documents they will accept for proof of employment eligibility. It says on on I-9 and is backed up the IRCA antidiscrimination provisions found in 8 USC 1324.

It is discriminatory for an employer to specify which documents they will accept for proof of employment eligibility. It says on on I-9 and is backed up the IRCA antidiscrimination provisions found in 8 USC 1324.
Did anyone here bother to inform their employer about the change in immigration status? I updated my info with the SSA but didn't bother with my employer. I started this job a few weeks before I became a citizen (in between interview and oath actually) so when I filled out the I-9 here I answered that I was an LPR. However, the I-9 is only supposed to be proof of employment eligibility, nothing more. I am no more eligible to work here today than I was three months ago so I didn't bother to update my employer with a new I-9 form. Any thoughts on this?

I did, I brought my nat cert to work and filed out a new I-9, which was more about me crossing all the dots and t's at the time. I can't remember where or why but I did read somewhere that it was a good idea to keep the info up to date - it may even state on the form that it is legal requirement to keep the info up to date.

The only doc I have not updated is my driving license since they gave me a standard license when I received my LPR so it expires just like any other full license.

Did anyone here bother to inform their employer about the change in immigration status? I updated my info with the SSA but didn't bother with my employer. I started this job a few weeks before I became a citizen (in between interview and oath actually) so when I filled out the I-9 here I answered that I was an LPR. However, the I-9 is only supposed to be proof of employment eligibility, nothing more. I am no more eligible to work here today than I was three months ago so I didn't bother to update my employer with a new I-9 form. Any thoughts on this?

I informed my employer. The Human resources person was pretty surprised. I think I am probably the first one, and probably the last to have done this. I know quite a few other employees at my company have naturalized. They took a copy of my passport. They took copy of GC when I was on GC, so basically my company makes copies of documents presented. I know they don't need to do this, but they do, and I don't care much.

Yes, as far as I know if you are on GC, you can obtain employment just by showing driver license and social security card and they shouldn't bother to ask you again to prove your status, as permanent residents have (as the name clearly say) permission to reside and work in the US permanently. The GC expires after ten years, but even if you let your GC expire without renewing it you are still a permanent resident. Of course, in my case I naturalized way before my GC was going to expire. Considering how long USCIS takes to renew a GC I don't think USCIS or ICE is going to enforce the law of carrying the GC with you at all times very strongly. I would assume every year there must be hundreds of thousands of permanent residents waiting for their new GC.