What documents to take from Employer after GC before leaving the company

Unbelievable

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

This could be the question for many people who browse this forum.

What documents to take from Employer after GC before leaving the company?
This month end I am leaving my company. And also how to claim unemplyment benefits?

Any comments....Please

Curious

Just out of curiosity...why would you need to file for unemployment benefits...aren't you leaving your job voluntarily? Wouldn't one want to continue working if one needs the money?

If you are leaving your job voluntarily, you cannot claim unemployment benefits. You can claim unemployment benefits only if you are terminated or laid off.

If you are laid off at the end of this month, ask your employer to give you an employment letter that should say "you are laid off due to the lack of business or etc" so you can use it for applying for US citizenship or proof that it is not your fault so they cannot revoke your GC. Just keep all your paystubs, w2 forms, and tax returns for the future (including applying for US citizenships).

When is your I-485 approved? If your I-485 was approved recently and you leaving your job voluntarily (unless you are laid off -not terminated), immigration can revoke your GC or you may have problems at the time of applying for US citizenship. It is your decision. The safe time to stay with employer after GC approval is 1 year. 6 months is okay, but at the time of applying for US citizenship, immigration will raise questions.

Hope this helps.

USGC485.

Hi,

Let me tell you the story. Our company is bought over by another company more than year ago. They are lateing us go one by one and this is my turn. In other word I am being laid off.

I am siging the release form so I can claim the unemployment benefit.

This is why I am looking for the documents that I should take from HR before leave the company.

I leave in MA and I am family person. I was looking for jobs in MA but not that greate jobs availavle here. Thinking of relocating in NJ/NY but I don't have any idea about NJ/NY regarding a good place to work and stay near the work place. Any idea will be appriciated.

See my signature for details.

PLEASE be careful when you write with confidence that INS will revoke the GC if one leaves the job voluntiarily within 6 months of getiing the GC..

I left my job 2 months after my GC and at the time of citizenship, the officer could care less when I left...

What I mean to say that its not that big a deal than people make it to be...

USGC485 said:
If you are leaving your job voluntarily, you cannot claim unemployment benefits. You can claim unemployment benefits only if you are terminated or laid off.

If you are laid off at the end of this month, ask your employer to give you an employment letter that should say "you are laid off due to the lack of business or etc" so you can use it for applying for US citizenship or proof that it is not your fault so they cannot revoke your GC. Just keep all your paystubs, w2 forms, and tax returns for the future (including applying for US citizenships).

When is your I-485 approved? If your I-485 was approved recently and you leaving your job voluntarily (unless you are laid off -not terminated), immigration can revoke your GC or you may have problems at the time of applying for US citizenship. It is your decision. The safe time to stay with employer after GC approval is 1 year. 6 months is okay, but at the time of applying for US citizenship, immigration will raise questions.

Hope this helps.

USGC485.

SWaiting said:
PLEASE be careful when you write with confidence that INS will revoke the GC if one leaves the job voluntiarily within 6 months of getiing the GC..

I left my job 2 months after my GC and at the time of citizenship, the officer could care less when I left...

What I mean to say that its not that big a deal than people make it to be...

There's no guarantee that the INS will revoke your GC in this situation, and it may even be unlikely, but its certainly possible.

After waiting years to get a GC, I'd be very careful about leaving the sponsoring company soon after the GC's approval if you want to minimize the chances of a problem. The guidelines are 6 months is probably ok, 1 year is better.

ETA