What documents require notary and what's an affidavit?

maisflocon

Registered Users (C)
I have been in and out the country quite a lot and I am in the process of gathering information to show my intent to maintain residence (lease letter, employment letters, letters from the bank, phone company and insurance company, etc.) and I am curious which of these documents need to be notarized?

Also, what's an affidavit? When do we need one of these?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Notary not required

I have been in and out the country quite a lot and I am in the process of gathering information to show my intent to maintain residence (lease letter, employment letters, letters from the bank, phone company and insurance company, etc.) and I am curious which of these documents need to be notarized?

maisflocon,

None of the documents needs to be notarized. On what basis are you applying for your citzienship? If it's on the basis of being a GC holder for 5 years, there is no affidavit of support required. If your spouse is sponsoring you and you are applying on a 3 year rule, it may be a different story. If it falls in that catagory, I am sure someone else can help you answer that question for you. You will get an answer soon from TC, Bobsmyth & many more.

Original copies suffice as evidence to prove continuous of residency.
An affidavit is a sworn statement of fact(s) (such as from a parent attesting that you loved with them) that is notarized.
Just remember that documents alone may not overcome a presumption in break of residency. The IO's question at the interview will also be used for determination of continuous residency.

Thank you Bobsmyth and Atlanta Brother.

What's a sworn statement? Is it just a matter of getting a letter written and getting it notarized?

I have gotten letters from my bank, phone company and insurance company describing how long I have used their service. Are these letters as good as showing bills or should I still show the bills? I was thinking getting one letter is better than having to gather years of statements.

In short a sworn statement is a letter you write and sign. For people to accept the sworn statement...it has to be a letter you have written, sworn in front of an official that the contents are accurate and sign in front of the official.
The official can be Notary Public, Law Enforcement official, Judge, etc, etc...

Notary Publics are the easiest to find and they do that for a small fee.

Thanks Harvy.

On my other question, are letters from bank, phone company and insurance company as good as showing bills?