What docs to show at the POE?

Noman74

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

I am planning to travel in mid January. My question is "what documents should i show to the officer upon my return? I have GC (A6)+national passport+Reentry Permit. I am just trying to find a safe and less painful combo here. Port of Entry would be JFK. Please advise.

Thanks

Noman74 said:
Hello Folks,

I am planning to travel in mid January. My question is "what documents should i show to the officer upon my return? I have GC (A6)+national passport+Reentry Permit. I am just trying to find a safe and less painful combo here. Port of Entry would be JFK. Please advise.

Thanks

If You're not planning to travel more than 6 months, than GC and NP should be enough !

Noman74 said:
Hello Folks,

Thanks

Noman! You would have least hassle showing NP+GC

First show your Re-entry permit; after that show whatever they ask for. some officers will let you go, and others will ask for more...so just respond as they talk...good luck on your trip and enjoy it...

faysal said:
First show your Re-entry permit; after that show whatever they ask for. some officers will let you go, and others will ask for more...so just respond as they talk...good luck on your trip and enjoy it...

Faysal,

When will you stop advising frivolous things? I think there was a clear answer that he should show NP and GC. Reentry permit is needed if you go away for more than 6 months. Exactly what do you mean by 'Show them first this, and then see if they ask for more, and show them more...' What are you, a magician at a circus? I bet you always have problems at POE.

Noman74 said:
Hello Folks,

Thanks

Before we all start making assumptions and start offering "its-ok-buddy" advice. Tell us why did get a Rentry Permit? If you get a visa on your Rentry Permit and show a National Passport upon entry..it may cause problems if the officer is curious where you went and visa etc...

So please tell us the details as the reasoning behind you geting a Rentry Permit and then we can try to give you solid advice.

14ksusha said:
Faysal,

When will you stop advising frivolous things? I think there was a clear answer that he should show NP and GC. Reentry permit is needed if you go away for more than 6 months. Exactly what do you mean by 'Show them first this, and then see if they ask for more, and show them more...' What are you, a magician at a circus? I bet you always have problems at POE.

14ksusha: I don't really know whether you understand what you are saying or not, but here are the facts:

You said, "Reentry permit is needed if you go away for more than 6 months." Who told you this? It can be used for any lengh of time; from one week to two years.
"I bet you always have problems at POE" This may be true for you but not for everybody.
"Exactly what do you mean by 'Show them first this, and then see if they ask for more, and show them more..." Well, what I mean is for example I he were to use reentry permit as his main travel document, first show them the reentry permit. Some officers will just be fine with it; others will need more document; they may ask you where is your greencard. then show it. I travelled with only refugee travel document without I-94, greencard and national passport. I landed at JFK on my way back and I had no problem at all...smooth pass........

The reason (if you uderstand reasoning) I said first show Reentry permit is why would he apply for it in the first place if he is ganno use national passport. It is just pointless. He can travel with National passport + greencard or Just reentry permit and greencard if they ask for it. People don't use to travel with two passports. National passport+reentry permit. One of them is just fine; of course the best answer would be show whichever travel documet that has the visa stamp, but if I wanted to use national passport I wouldn't spent money on reentry permit. It is useless if one uses national passport and that is why I said show reentry permit because that is the one I assumed he is gonna use since he applied for it knowing he has national passport.

I know your brains is not designed to absorb sound analysis, but that is my understanding, and you love to edit my comments; and I am glad that a number of you are paying attension to my posts....

Last edited by a moderator:
faysal said:
14ksusha: I don't really know whether you understand what you are saying or not, but here are the facts:

You said, "Reentry permit is needed if you go away for more than 6 months." Who told you this? It can be used for any lengh of time; from one week to two years.
"I bet you always have problems at POE" This may be true for you but not for everybody.
"Exactly what do you mean by 'Show them first this, and then see if they ask for more, and show them more..." Well, what I mean is for example I he were to use reentry permit as his main travel document, first show them the reentry permit. Some officers will just be fine with it; others will need more document; they may ask you where is your greencard. then show it. I travelled with only refugee travel document without I-94, greencard and national passport. I landed at JFK on my way back and I had no problem at all...smooth pass........

The reason (if you uderstand reasoning) I said first show Reentry permit is why would he apply for it in the first place if he is ganno use national passport. It is just pointless. He can travel with National passport + greencard or Just reentry permit and greencard if they ask for it. People don't use to travel with two passports. National passport+reentry permit. One of them is just fine; of course the best answer would be show whichever travel documet that has the visa stamp, but if I wanted to use national passport I wouldn't spent money on reentry permit. It is useless if one uses national passport and that is why I said show reentry permit because that is the one I assumed he is gonna use since he applied for it knowing he has national passport.

I know your brains is not designed to absorb sound analysis, but that is my understanding, and you love to edit my comments; and I am glad that a number of you are paying attension to my posts....

No Faysal, my brain is not designed to absorb YOUR sound analysis or should I say little tricks to hide something from USCIS. It is clear from your posts that you have not been truthful with us or USCIS. On numerous occasions, you have advised here to lie to USCIS. Many members of this forum expressed their concern about your frivolous posts. Yet, you continue to jump in every single thread, especially with questions from new members unaware of your history and how dangerous your little tips to trick the government can be. As an official DHS interpreter who on a daily basis witnesses how immigration law and guidelines work, I have a problem with your posts and will always challenge you. You will just have to deal with me.

14ksusha said:
No Faysal, my brain is not designed to absorb YOUR sound analysis or should I say little tricks to hide something from USCIS. It is clear from your posts that you have not been truthful with us or USCIS. On numerous occasions, you have advised here to lie to USCIS. Many members of this forum expressed their concern about your frivolous posts. Yet, you continue to jump in every single thread, especially with questions from new members unaware of your history and how dangerous your little tips to trick the government can be. As an official DHS interpreter who on a daily basis witnesses how immigration law and guidelines work, I have a problem with your posts and will always challenge you. You will just have to deal with me.

FROM NOW ON AS YOU SAID I WILL HAVE LIVE UP WITH YOUR COMMENTS. I NOW WHO YOU ARE; YOU ARE WORKING WITH; WORKING FOR; AND YOU ARE WELCOME... I WOULD PREFER THAT YOU SPEND YOUR TIME ON MEANINGFUL THINGS, BUT IF YOU FIND MEANINFUL GOING AFTER MY POSTS YOU ARE WELLCOME...I WILL GET USED IT...AND NICE TO KNOWING YOU...

There was no specific reason i got Reentry permit. I just wanted to have an additional document in hand besides my GC. There are no visas on my RP. I will only be travelling for a month.

faysal said:

HI , GET A LIFE MAN .
AS I TOLD,YOU BEFORE GOD, BE WITH THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH .

A FOOL IN THE KINGDOM OF THE BLINDS.

Same thing

Lately, this has been the same story. He has been hijacking every thread and starts arguing.
I have requested Moderators to take action. Let's wait and see what happens.
As to Noman's question, I would suggest to use NP + GC. It avoids so many unnecessary questions. Which country are you planning to visit? sometimes that can make a difference. For example, Germany.

Noman74 said:
There was no specific reason i got Reentry permit. I just wanted to have an additional document in hand besides my GC. There are no visas on my RP. I will only be travelling for a month.

Noman! you need to understand how these I/O's work at POE's. First of all we are a minority as a GC holder among pool of GC holders who obtained GC through different avenues. (until Last year, only 10,000 GCs were being issued based on asylum). But just compare this number to other avenues such as marriage, relative sponsorship, jobs etc. Asylum based GC holders comprise about 1% of GC pool.

Now rest of the GC pool always uses GC+NP, except only in cases where they have to stay out of the country for more than 1 year. (those people who can travel on a GC dont wish to obtain even a RP for short trips, and why should they? why pay for a document that is valid only for 2 years and is considered to be a document used only for long absenses). Its even dangerous to use RP for a non-asylum based GC holder so that he/she does arouse suspicion in front of an I/O, that he/she came back after long absense. So we agree that GC holders (non-asylum) usually avoid RP and only use their NP.

Now consider an I/O who is sitting on a chair all day long with thick metalic stamp (saying "Admitted") and looks at GCs+NPs all day long. He does not even care how different passports look like from various countries, therefore he takes a yawn at however a passport looks like, and just verifies validity of GC by swapping it through the machine. Its an easy job instead of working at McDonalds taking orders from rude customers and washing bathrooms at the end of the shift...right... :)

He sits one full month and stamps only GC+NP and here goes on the process until a poor Asylum based GC holder shows up. He has a GC but hold either an RTD or RP. The I/O is startled. He has vaguely heard during this training session that one way to a GC is Asylum in the US. And contrary to self-concept of asylees, he is told that once Asylees become GC holders, they are not more asylees. To him something is wrong. If asylee has RTD, he is uncomfortable (even with the color of the document). He has seen RTD only twice in last year and he starts to shuffle it like crazy. Then he remembers a comment from his Boss that Asylees are no more Asylees once they are adjusted. So he suspects fraud from this poor Gc holded who is holding his RTD.

Then there is a guy holding RP+GC. Immediately I/O realizes that RP automatically means that somebody has traveled outside of USA for more than 6 months. So he suspiciously looks for fraud that this poor GC holder (once asylee) has committed. Then suddenly noticing I/O's nervousness, GC holder becomes nervous too and offers him his NP. Now I/O really suspects that this Gc holder (once asylee) has returned from a terrorists state and is hiding this very fact from him. So he grills him further for his itenrary.

Come on guys... why are you making your lives complicated. You had enough trouble in your home countries to escape and now you are once more bringing this miserable life upon to you.
live life..
Got the picture??? :rolleyes:

Thank you guys for some detail input. I will go with which makes more sense. In my case, it would be GC+NP. Thanks again.

Good Job you made my day!!!

Lazerthegreat said:
Noman! you need to understand how these I/O's work at POE's. First of all we are a minority as a GC holder among pool of GC holders who obtained GC through different avenues. (until Last year, only 10,000 GCs were being issued based on asylum). But just compare this number to other avenues such as marriage, relative sponsorship, jobs etc. Asylum based GC holders comprise about 1% of GC pool.

Now rest of the GC pool always uses GC+NP, except only in cases where they have to stay out of the country for more than 1 year. (those people who can travel on a GC dont wish to obtain even a RP for short trips, and why should they? why pay for a document that is valid only for 2 years and is considered to be a document used only for long absenses). Its even dangerous to use RP for a non-asylum based GC holder so that he/she does arouse suspicion in front of an I/O, that he/she came back after long absense. So we agree that GC holders (non-asylum) usually avoid RP and only use their NP.

Now consider an I/O who is sitting on a chair all day long with thick metalic stamp (saying "Admitted") and looks at GCs+NPs all day long. He does not even care how different passports look like from various countries, therefore he takes a yawn at however a passport looks like, and just verifies validity of GC by swapping it through the machine. Its an easy job instead of working at McDonalds taking orders from rude customers and washing bathrooms at the end of the shift...right... :)

He sits one full month and stamps only GC+NP and here goes on the process until a poor Asylum based GC holder shows up. He has a GC but hold either an RTD or RP. The I/O is startled. He has vaguely heard during this training session that one way to a GC is Asylum in the US. And contrary to self-concept of asylees, he is told that once Asylees become GC holders, they are not more asylees. To him something is wrong. If asylee has RTD, he is uncomfortable (even with the color of the document). He has seen RTD only twice in last year and he starts to shuffle it like crazy. Then he remembers a comment from his Boss that Asylees are no more Asylees once they are adjusted. So he suspects fraud from this poor Gc holded who is holding his RTD.

Then there is a guy holding RP+GC. Immediately I/O realizes that RP automatically means that somebody has traveled outside of USA for more than 6 months. So he suspiciously looks for fraud that this poor GC holder (once asylee) has committed. Then suddenly noticing I/O's nervousness, GC holder becomes nervous too and offers him his NP. Now I/O really suspects that this Gc holder (once asylee) has returned from a terrorists state and is hiding this very fact from him. So he grills him further for his itenrary.

Come on guys... why are you making your lives complicated. You had enough trouble in your home countries to escape and now you are once more bringing this miserable life upon to you.
live life..
Got the picture??? :rolleyes:

Bravo, Lazerthegreat! It's truly brilliant piece of writing! :cool:
faysal, you've got to read this! :D

Noman74 said:
Hello Folks,

Thanks
Upon my arrival last summer first I gave my GC to the officer and she only looked at my GC to process my admission to the country. I had my NP in my hand but she did not ask for it. Not saying that will happen to you, but that is what happened to me. A GC and NP should be sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the good usage for RP is that when you leave your COP, you don't have to show your GC which has AS06 mark on it, because this will raise the frown of the COP IO officer, you can just show them your NP + RP to get into the airplane to US, some people did that before, because they don't want their COP know that they claimed asylee for their COP.
feel free for any comment.

For me is clear what I have read in USCIS issues and what an IO told me, "if you have a NP, then you don't need RP neither RTD to travel"

I don't understand why some people want to create confusion about this matter.

I have three things clear:

1. If you have GC and NP, then use them when you travel abroad

2. If you will stay more than 6 months abroad, then use GC and RP

3. If you cannot get or renewal a NP for any reason,get a RTD or a RP depend how long will you stay abroad.

Travelco

GC holder

inbt said:
one of the good usage for RP is that when you leave your COP, you don't have to show your GC which has AS06 mark on it, because this will raise the frown of the COP IO officer, you can just show them your NP + RP to get into the airplane to US, some people did that before, because they don't want their COP know that they claimed asylee for their COP.
feel free for any comment.

I believe RP says ASYLEE or REFUGEE, but I may be wrong. WHY and HOW in the world a border patrol officer of COP know that AS06 means asylee???? I didn't even know it myself till I got on this forum. From my experience, NP + RP only is a bad combination to travel to COP or any other country. RP is not a US passport, and if you don't have a US Passport, every airline agent or border patrol officer in the world wants to see the Green Card then. It's a well respected piece of plastic and they are comfortable with it. Rentry Permit is a good document to enter the US after a prolonged stay outside, but it is not meant to be a document to travel around with. A lot of countries do not recognize it.