What do I do with documents...suggestions

formerf1

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering what people in this forum have done with their immigration docs once they naturalized. I have a stack of docs ranging from I20s to EADs and I am trying to figure out what to do with them. I read a while back of someone making a fire camp with docs. I was thinking shredder....Any suggestions guys?

:D:D

FF1

I was wondering what people in this forum have done with their immigration docs once they naturalized. I have a stack of docs ranging from I20s to EADs and I am trying to figure out what to do with them. I read a while back of someone making a fire camp with docs. I was thinking shredder....Any suggestions guys?

FF1

File them away. They are good memories.

G-639 is the form you fill out to obtain your A-file through FOIA/PA. This is strictly optional. I did it just to satisfy my curiosity about the contents of my A-file.

I also have quite a stack of documents pertaining to various dealings with USCIS. I considered shredding them, but I can't bring myself to do it for some reason.

By the way, congrats! What time is your oath?

G-639 is the form you fill out to obtain your A-file through FOIA/PA. This is strictly optional. I did it just to satisfy my curiosity about the contents of my A-file.

I also have quite a stack of documents pertaining to various dealings with USCIS. I considered shredding them, but I can't bring myself to do it for some reason.

By the way, congrats! What time is your oath?

Thanks, the ceremony is at 130pm CST. What was in your A-file? Was it worth filing?

Thanks, the ceremony is at 130pm CST. What was in your A-file? Was it worth filing?

Awesome, enjoy your final 2 hours as a non-citizen!

My A-file contained every application ever filed with the USCIS, from the initial visa filings that my parents filled out before we even entered the U.S. to the N-400. It also contained the printouts with all the background check results associated with the N-400. Strangely enough, my birth certificate was nowhere to be found. I find this weird, as I wasn't asked for a copy during my N-400 interview. Also, not one of my AR-11s were included. I have a feeling that they simply throw those out after the address change is entered.

The A-file provided an interesting trip down the memory lane for me, as well as satisfied my curiosity about the results of my background check. Go ahead and file the G-639. It's completely free, so you have nothing to lose.

Vorpal - thanks for sharing about the G-639.

In response to OP question - I would put all documents in a cardboard document storage box (you find this kind of boxes in office depot...) and put it in the attic or closet. I do the same for other documents that you can afford to lose but don't want throw them out yourself.

Digital Scanner.

Congrats and enjoy every minute of it. After today, you will be a full citizen, except in TX...:D

If you have a digital scanner, just do a scan and will automatically be converted to a PDF file, and send yourself a copy of all those docs in an email. I would recommend using GMail, because it can accomodate large PDF files. :p Moreover, save them on a flash drive, the one which you can take to a lockbox somewhere and wait till you an absolute need for them. If you decide to run for the Govenor of Idaho, you might need to prove that you came here legally, so having your own copy is better than Bill O' Reilly and Sean Hannity showing something completely fabricated...:D:D

I use this scanner at home for all my electronic filing needs. When you have important documents, filing them in a cabinet won't protect them from some vicious fire. Just a suggestion, it doesn't have to be this scanner, but there are comparables and maybe your job has one which you use at lunch time.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15179-15179-64195-12126-64404-3330619.html

Congrats and enjoy every minute of it. After today, you will be a full citizen, except in TX...:D

If you have a digital scanner, just do a scan and will automatically be converted to a PDF file, and send yourself a copy of all those docs in an email. I would recommend using GMail, because it can accomodate large PDF files. :p Moreover, save them on a flash drive, the one which you can take to a lockbox somewhere and wait till you an absolute need for them. If you decide to run for the Govenor of Idaho, you might need to prove that you came here legally, so having your own copy is better than Bill O' Reilly and Sean Hannity showing something completely fabricated...:D:D

I use this scanner at home for all my electronic filing needs. When you have important documents, filing them in a cabinet won't protect them from some vicious fire. Just a suggestion, it doesn't have to be this scanner, but there are comparables and maybe your job has one which you use at lunch time.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15179-15179-64195-12126-64404-3330619.html

Wow..Price: $3,199.00*. Mail me the docs with authorization to copy and i will send you a dvd and flash drive for $100 (Shameless plug) ;)

Awesome, enjoy your final 2 hours as a non-citizen!

My A-file contained every application ever filed with the USCIS, from the initial visa filings that my parents filled out before we even entered the U.S. to the N-400. It also contained the printouts with all the background check results associated with the N-400. Strangely enough, my birth certificate was nowhere to be found. I find this weird, as I wasn't asked for a copy during my N-400 interview. Also, not one of my AR-11s were included. I have a feeling that they simply throw those out after the address change is entered.

The A-file provided an interesting trip down the memory lane for me, as well as satisfied my curiosity about the results of my background check. Go ahead and file the G-639. It's completely free, so you have nothing to lose.

Hi Vorpal, did your A-file contain any of your travel info., dates, destinations etc.?

FF1

Are we really going to shred them? I would keep them as souvenirs so your future great-grandkids would read your family history and learn where you originally come from.

Requesting copies thru FOIA or archive would take time so is it worth it?

Nope..scan myself cool!!!

Wow..Price: $3,199.00*. Mail me the docs with authorization to copy and i will send you a dvd and flash drive for $100 (Shameless plug) ;)

Nope..:D You mean, I have to send you my life, health, car and property insurance docs to put them on a dvd? :confused: I'd rather scan key documents myself every two weekends like I currently do, even with credit card statements. Your immigration docs shouldn't available to every person, especially if someone breaks into your apts or home, run away with a box full of those documents. Can you imagine someone living in CA or NY under your name and everything? However, with electronic copies, as long as you have strong firewall and aren't doped by online hackers, you are on solid ground. :p Moreover, create three passwords for your home files which will help you a great deal against any smarty pants hacking into your machines.

Lastly, you and spouse should know where every important documents are located at all times. If you suddenly die, who's going to find your documents? :rolleyes: So, trust your wife or husband with your password, you already trust him/her to sleep and snore all night side-by-side with them, so is your password more important than your life? It was my plug-in for stronger marriages...:cool: If you are audited by some govt agency, knowing where important documents are should be enough because you can't pull the documents out of the file to show them... Auditing 101.:)